CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

It's nothing gigantic, but it's not awful either. It's ahead of TASM1. That alone is enough to keep 250 well in play. And it's not going to get clobbered by TDKR on its 3rd weekend. Though we all hope Godzilla will be gigantic.

Speaking of most hated film of the year on this forum, Godzilla feels like the opposite. Seems like everyone wants to jump on the Godzilla bandwagon.

Godzilla looks damn good though. Not hard to see why.

• Like 1

What was the average OW prediction for this here?

No clue, but it feels like most people were in the 80-105 range.

If TASM2 has an OW of 92.5 (give or take 5 million), I think most people would think it was exactly in line with expectations.

• Like 2

Speaking of most hated film of the year on this forum, Godzilla feels like the opposite. Seems like everyone wants to jump on the Godzilla bandwagon.

Yeah, felt just like that with Man of Steel last summer. :ph34r:

• Like 1

No clue, but it feels like most people were in the 80-105 range.

If TASM2 has an OW of 92.5 (give or take 5 million), I think most people would think it was exactly in line with expectations.

Average of:

[*]RS

[*]MTC

[*]LA Times

[*]Variety

[*]THR

[*]EW

[*]Box Office

[*]Coming Soon

[*]Box Office Guru

[*]Box Office Mojo

predictions gives me 94.4M with a range of 88-102.  As far as I'm concerned this number suggests that its going to fall near the lower end of that range, right below the average.  I don't think much else can be made out of the number we've been given.
  • Like 1

It's nothing gigantic, but it's not awful either. It's ahead of TASM1. That alone is enough to keep 250 well in play. And it's not going to get clobbered by TDKR on its 3rd weekend. Though we all hope Godzilla will be gigantic.

Didn't the last SM movie open a Tuesday before the 4th of July weekend?  That helped it a lot in getting off to a jump start in its first 7 days.  And it also benefitted from little kids being off from school on weekdays in July.  The kids are going to be in school on weekdays during the month of May.  Last one made 144 million in its 1st 7 days.  This one won't come close to that total in its first 7 days.  Will only make 210 or 220 domestic.

Edited by Ando81

In as much as I hate what Sony has done with the franchise, they are kind of in a tight position regarding Spider-man.I don't know the exact details of their licensing contract with Marvel but I believe they HAVE to literally keep making Spider-man movies or Spider-man related movies within a certain period of time to hold onto the rights.I don't think they have the luxury of waiting almost a decade like WB did with Batman to re-boot. Which is all the more reason why they shouldn't have done the hard re-boot in the first place.

• Like 4

Hmm so $90-95 million OW for ASM2... not bad. 

It will likely finish with $210-230 million DOM which is disappointing. However $100-105 million is possible since this will skew more towards families than Cap 2. That would likely take it to $220-240 million for its range. 

In as much as I hate what Sony has done with the franchise, they are kind of in a tight position regarding Spider-man.I don't know the exact details of their licensing contract with Marvel but I believe they HAVE to literally keep making Spider-man movies or Spider-man related movies within a certain period of time to hold onto the rights.I don't think they have the luxury of waiting almost a decade like WB did with Batman to re-boot.Which is all the more reason why they shouldn't have done the hard re-boot in the first place.

Sell the rights back to Marvel Studios - take the change and make some mid-level budget films throughout the year. 

Sony has James Bond, Ghostbusters, Men in Black, Bad Boys, Hotel Transylvania, Adam Sandler in general, Oscar films (Captain Phillips, American Hustle, Zero Dark Thirty, etc)... no reason for them to act like Spider-Man is the only golden goose in their repertoire 

I think you guys are being too optimistic for today's numbers.  Sure it opened higher than the last ASM but you still can't eliminate the fact that the last one was not loved.  I think there is a very real possibility this opens to less than 85 and a small possibility it opens to less than 80.  :)