CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Another regarding the end:

Gwen's death actually surprised me. I know that it's a plot in the books, but even when it was happening, I didn't think they'd go through with it. And THEN when Peter was holding her, I thought she was going to breathe in. And THEN when the funeral was happening, I thought was for someone else at first. I guess I was really invested in Emma Stone's performance that I didn't want it to be the end.

Well thanks to CJohn that part was ruined for me. I didn't get all choked up because I knew it was coming.

It had the weakest competition for its first two weeks of any big opener that I've seen. That was plenty of time for it to rack up a ton of money and the thing collapsed like a cheap tent despite no competition. SM1 dealt with some pretty steep competition and held up like a champ by comparison.

What does that have to do with anything?  AA said that American audiences prefer doom and gloom to lighter fair.  I mentioned all 3 Iron Man movies and The Avengers since they are very far from doom and gloom.  

Well thanks to CJohn that part was ruined for me. I didn't get all choked up because I knew it was coming.

don't click spoiler tags!

I think people are really glossing over a lot of the flaws in the movie. It gets brought up that the internet brings out the haters, but I see the exact opposite happen all the time. It's kind of par for the course for blockbuster films during opening (and something I've done in the past, and I cringe thinking about it). I call it "The Honeymoon" phase. 

Or maybe people can see flaws in something and not outright hate it immediately? TASM2 is by no means perfect, but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Opinions about films are going to vary. What resonates with some people won't with others. I think that Frozen is fantastic, and it's one of my top films of all time. Others think it's pretty good, or just okay, or not good at all. And that's fine. I think that CA2 wasn't very good, and it felt like a letdown. Others think it's great. No harm that we disagree on that.

What does that have to do with anything?  AA said that American audiences prefer doom and gloom to lighter fair.  I mentioned all 3 Iron Man movies and The Avengers since they are very far from doom and gloom.  

You were talking about how SM3 was hurt by Shrek and Pirates. It was the second part of your post I was responding to.

• Like 1

Dented it "a bit," but at the same time it literally faced nothing in its first two weeks. The movie had the market to itself and still dropped like a rock.

Seriously, what are you going on about.  How many movies have opened to $150m + and not dropped 60% the following weekend?  

• Like 1

Exactly. The Nolan "doom and gloom" batman movies weren't exactly failures in the U.S .
  • Like 2