CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Are you really comparing the legs of the first movie in a franchise to the third?

Yes, absolutely. One had great WOM and the other didn't. Doesn't matter what number in the franchise it is. Would you like me to compare it to another sequel in TDK? That comparison gets even more flawed because SM3 died on the weekdays while TDK was massive on the weekdays.

Avengers is a quasi-sequel as well and managed a 50% drop despite opening to an insane $207m. If you make a movie with great WOM, it will hold up. SM3 had every chance in the world during the first two weeks to lock it for $400+ million and the movie had absolutely horrid WOM that doomed its chances.

Edited by redfirebird2008

I wonder how much ASM would have made if SM3 had never been released.(pretend Sony just made a Venom movie in 2007)

So if ASM2 does less than 1 , it will also be SM3 fault ?Give it a rest with the excuses, batman begins did way worse ,coming off from B&R , and yet it was so well liked on home video that it gained a great reputation and made part 2 a box office monster . The problem with TASM1 is that it was shit so the even shittier sequel won't do great business (at least considering the popularity of the character) .If marvel made a Spider-Man movie then we would see the true box office power of the character ,as we did with the first Sony trilogy, which had its faults but doesn't even compare to the new movies

Or maybe people can see flaws in something and not outright hate it immediately? TASM2 is by no means perfect, but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Opinions about films are going to vary. What resonates with some people won't with others. I think that Frozen is fantastic, and it's one of my top films of all time. Others think it's pretty good, or just okay, or not good at all. And that's fine. I think that CA2 wasn't very good, and it felt like a letdown. Others think it's great. No harm that we disagree on that.

All fine and good, but there are things in ASM2 that are as close to objectively terrible as you can get, and they simply go unmentioned by people who like it. I'm totally ok with someone liking ASM2, but I have a real hard time fathoming how someone could not cringe at a lot of the junk in there.

And as I mentioned, I'm guilty of doing that. I look back at some of the posts I made about Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, and I'm pretty sure I was lying to myself about the movie.

Of these, TDK has summer days (dropped 44% on monday!). Doubly impressive.

Hail Nolan.

It's kinda cool that half of the films to open that big had drops below 60%.

And three others (TDKR, THG, SM3) all had 2nd weekend drops right above that, around 61.5%.

Only HP7.5 is a huge outlier, really.

• Like 1

So if ASM2 does less than 1 , it will also be SM3 fault ?Give it a rest with the excuses, batman begins did way worse ,coming off from B&R , and yet it was so well liked on home video that it gained a great reputation and made part 2 a box office monster . The problem with TASM1 is that it was shit so the even shittier sequel won't do great business (at least considering the popularity of the character) .If marvel made a Spider-Man movie then we would see the true box office power of the character ,as we did with the first Sony trilogy, which had its faults but doesn't even compare to the new movies

Whoah somebody's angry. I just asked a simple question.And it wasn't just that SM3 received bad WOM...many thought it was too soon for a reboot.You need to take some time off the computer.

Still better than anything in either of webb's movies.

http://youtu.be/PpaecszRRG0

Yes, that's a cool scene and one of my favorite parts of SM3…but the movie as a whole is really bad and both TASM and TASM2 are much better than it.  Also, those sfx are starting to look really dated :/

Hard to compare weekdays for an early May release to a mid-July one.

Correct, that's my point. TDK dropped over 50% in July but would have been sub-50% if it came out in early May with smaller weekdays. The weekend number is inflated in early May due to much smaller weekdays, yet SM3 still dropped over 60% even with zero competition.

Yes, absolutely. One had great WOM and the other didn't. Doesn't matter what number in the franchise it is. Would you like me to compare it to another sequel in TDK? That comparison gets even more flawed because SM3 died on the weekdays while TDK was massive on the weekdays.

Yes, this is an excellent point. It dropped 74%, 22%, 17%, and 12% from Monday to Thursday and still had a horrible second weekend. At the time it was one of the worst weekday performances we had seen for a blockbuster. it might still be.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

Sequelitis is a disease that affects most sequels irrespective of wom, even a movie like ca2.

ca : multiplier of 2.71 mixed wom

ca2: multiplier of 2.68 amazing wom (Assuming 255 total)

Edited by a2k

Correct, that's my point. TDK dropped over 50% in July but would have been sub-50% if it came out in early May with smaller weekdays. The weekend number is inflated in early May due to much smaller weekdays, yet SM3 still dropped over 60% even with zero competition.

It did but it probably would have stabilized a better if Shrek 3 and Pirates didn't open right after
  • Like 2

TDK was the first sequel, a proper comp is TDKR.  It dropped 61.4% compared to SM3's 61.5%  It also had zero competition in its second week.  

However, it stabalized in its 3rd and 4th weekends where SM3 didn't.  Part of that was because of Shrek 3 and Pirates 3.  

I'm not saying it missed out on $50-60m or anything, but a fair guess would be $15-20m easy.  

True. The world realized very quickly SM3 wasn't very good. WOM was gonna bring that one down quickly, regardless of Shrek or Pirates.

I think people are really glossing over a lot of the flaws in the movie. It gets brought up that the internet brings out the haters, but I see the exact opposite happen all the time. It's kind of par for the course for blockbuster films during opening (and something I've done in the past, and I cringe thinking about it). I call it "The Honeymoon" phase. 

Csokas and Giamatta try their damnedest to do just that.

To great effect I might add, it's not like without them the movie would be much better if you're not embracing the cheese.