riczhang

Year 8 Oscar Picks (VOTING CLOSED see P.5 for details)

I really liked The Little Mermaid

Posted Image

I get that. I really liked Pacific Rim. I still wouldn't nominate it for Best Picture.

Can't believe I was the only one who liked At the Mountains of Madness. 

I might have rated it higher if wasn't a blatant Wikipedia C&P.

None of my films, though I had two pretty great contenders. :P

Actually this year I forget easily who wrote the films which I guess is good since it makes me less bias.  ;)

I get that. I really liked Pacific Rim. I still wouldn't nominate it for Best Picture.

I might have rated it higher if wasn't a blatant Wikipedia C&P.

I would. If I had to picked the winner of the 2012 Oscar Best Pictures it would be Chronicle because I enjoyed the film the most and it was my favorite film of 2012. 2013 was an odd year because my favorite film was 12 Years A Slave and it won BP. 

I don't judge films based off if they are Wiki C&P. 

I would. If I had to picked the winner of the 2012 Oscar Best Pictures it would be Chronicle because I enjoyed the film the most and it was my favorite film of 2012. 2013 was an odd year because my favorite film was 12 Years A Slave and it won BP. 

And that's the problem. The Oscars (in real-life at least) aren't supposed to be about picking your favourites, they're about picking which films are objectively the best. 

I don't judge films based off if they are Wiki C&P. 

I do. I mean, sure, it's fair enough if you're very busy and don't have time to hack out a full story, but, quite frankly, it's insulting to have them compete with films which people have actually put significant time and effort into.

Eh screw itReservedBEST PICTURE The Bronx is Burning (3) Flowers for Algernon (4) The Giver (2) The Legend of Redwall (5) Mushishi (1)BEST ENSEMBLE The Bronx is Burning (3) Flowers for Algernon (4) The Giver (2) Mushishi (1) StarCraft: Brood War (5)BEST DIRECTOR Danny Boyle- The Who's Tommy (5) Tim Burton- Flowers for Algernon (4) Guillermo del Toro- Mushishi (1) David Lynch- The Giver (2) Martin Scorsese- The Bronx is Burning (3)BEST ACTOR Preston Bailey- The Giver (5) Colin Farrell- Mushishi (3) Jared Leto- Flowers for Algernon (4) Liam Neeson- Resonance (1) Stanley Tucci- The Bronx is Burning (2)BEST ACTRESS Rose Byrne- The Who's Tommy (4) Isla Fisher- Flowers for Algernon (3) Jennifer Lawrence- A Love to Die For (1) Natalie Portman- Dracula (5) Sigourney Weaver- Mushishi (2)BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR Gael Garcia Bernal- Resonance (5) Jeff Bridges- The Giver (2) Chiwetel Ejiofer- The Bronx is Burning (1) Gary Oldman- The Most Dangerous Game (4) Ty Simpkins- Mushishi (3)BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS Berenice Bejo- The Concert's End (3) Rose Byrne- Mushishi (1) Helena Bonham Carter- Flowers for Algernon (2) Salma Hayek- Resonance (4) Julia Louis-Dreyfus- Cinema Studies (5)BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY The Bronx is Burning (3) Flowers for Algernon (4) The Giver (2) The Legend of Redwall (5) Mushishi (1)BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY The Academy (3) Cinema Studies (5) The Concert's End (2) The Deadline (4) Resonance (1)BEST ANIMATED FEATURE Avatar: The Last Airbender- The Search (5) Catch that Pigeon! (3) Hand Drawn Heroes (2) The Legend of Redwall (1) Thomas was Alone (4)BEST VOICE ACTOR/ACTRESS Dante Basco- Avatar: The Last Airbender- The Search (4) Jesse Eisenberg- The Legend of Redwall (2) Nicholas Hoult- Chessmen (5) Neil Patrick Harris- Hand Drawn Heroes (1) Andy Serkis- Catch that Pigeon! (3)BEST VOICE ACTOR/ACTRESS in a SUPPORTING ROLE Mark Hammil- Hand Drawn Heroes (2) John Hamm- StarCraft: Brood War (3) John Hurt- The Legend of Redwall (1) Keith Szarabajka- Dragon Age: Awakening (4) Alan Tudyk- The Dresden Files: Stormfront (5)BEST ORIGINAL SCORE The Giver- Angelo Badalamenti (5) Hand Drawn Heroes- Danny Elfman (4) The Legend of Redwall- Alan Menken (2) Mushishi- Joe Hiasaska (1) Resonance- Clint Mansell (3)BEST ORIGINAL SONG "Alcohol of Flame" from Keg Party (5) "Catch that Pigeon" from Catch that Pigeon! (3) "Everyone Needs a Home" from Flowers of Algernon (2) "Please Let me Know" from The Who's Tommy (4) "The World is Waiting" from Hand Drawn Heroes (1)BEST SOUND EDITING At the Mountains of Madness (4) Dragon Age: Awakening (5) Mushishi (1) Resonance (2) StarCraft: Brood War (3)BEST SOUND MIXING The Bronx is Burning (5) Dragon Age: Awakening (2) Mushishi (1) Pompeii (4) Resonance (3)BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN At the Mountains of Madness (2) The Concert's End (4) The Giver (3) Mushishi (1) The Who's Tommy (5)BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY The Bronx is Burning (3) The Concert's End (5) The Giver (2) Mushishi (1) Resonance (4)BEST MAKEUP The Concert's End (4) Dracula (5) The Giver (3) Mushishi (2) StarCraft: Brood War (1)BEST COSTUME DESIGN The Academy (4) The Concert's End (5) Flowers for Algernon (3) The Giver (2) Mushishi (1)BEST FILM EDITING The Bronx is Burning (3) Flowers for Algernon (2) The Giver (4) Midnight in the Afghan Valley (5) Mushishi (1)BEST VISUAL EFFECTS At the Mountains of Madness (4) Dragon Age: Awakening (3) Mushishi (2) Pompeii (5) StarCraft: Brood War (1)BEST USE OF ACTION Dragon Age: Awakening (3) Pompeii (4) Resonance (5) StarCraft: Brood War (1) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2)

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 4

In CAYOM 2.0 there haven't been any bad nominees.

But the BOM original game, oh boy there were a few.

By the way, I'm still waiting to hear about these.

I feel like people didn't see this on the last page, but I wanted to bump it because this is my big tech contender.

Not gonna lie, I'd be bummed if Tommy didn't get a nomination for Production Design. The broadway show its based on should give you a sense of the kind of visual look I'm going for here. Honestly, it's the one tech category I want more than anything else.

Posted Image

Posted Image

By the way, I'm still waiting to hear about these.

It's hard operating on memory alone.

Year 23 was one year. The winner (Knights of the Round Table) wasn't a bad film, it was just very generic and shallow. Entertaining, but nowhere near Oscar worthiness at all. Other than that the 20s were actually a terrific decade for BP winners as far as I can recall.

Year 20- Walking Shadow

Year 21- The Long Walk

Year 22- The Insanity Plea

Year 23- Knights of the Round Table

Year 24- The Phyrexian Wars

Year 25- The Assassination of God

Year 26- The Boys of Kokoda Trail

Year 27- Recesses of the Mind

Year 28- Leningrad

Year 29- title is on tip of my tongue but can't remember

It was a good decade.

• Like 2

Year 20- Walking Shadow

Year 21- The Long Walk

Year 22- The Insanity Plea

Year 23- Knights of the Round Table

Year 24- The Phyrexian Wars

Year 25- The Assassination of God

Year 26- The Boys of Kokoda Trail

Year 27- Recesses of the Mind

Year 28- Leningrad

Year 29- title is on tip of my tongue but can't remember

It was a good decade.

Ragdoll, I believe.

• Like 1

It's not going to get a nomination. Even if it gets to the tiebreaker round it won't get through it.

Though a BP nomination would be hilarious. And it would not be the worst film nominated for BP in this game so far IMO.

Well, there would've been a bad one if Alpha hadn't screwed me over with the "Best Picture tracking" one year...

insert cliche joke about Numbers hating Expedecade here

• Like 1

Seriously all the new players should go back and read Numbers' review for Expedecade; it's a work of art in and of itself

That review, though. You could feel the hate just by seeing how it was written. Numbers' reviews are usually carefully written, organized. Not that one. There was literally so much he hated he didn't know how to properly put it all into a nice review so he didn't

• Like 1

Seriously all the new players should go back and read Numbers' review for Expedecade; it's a work of art in and of itself

I remember reading Number's review for Expedecade. It was so...hateful.