lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

2 hours ago, drdungbeetle said:

If it gets a profit, it'll be of the "but we can run it 1321483039574397092795 times on Freeform!" type of profit where it only makes it 10 years down the line. Not much help to Lionsgate right now.

1 hour ago, Tele Came Back said:

If they aren't already in the black, they will be very soon. Even with modest HV sales and TV rights, it's gonna be a very good ROI for Lionsgate.

I doubt the Power Rangers movie will ever air on a Disney owned channel like Freeform.  Maybe it's Saban's ego, or maybe it could be Disney not wanting to be associated with anything Power Rangers anymore, but either way, I don't think it will air there.  Lionsgate is most likely to sell the TV rights to Nickelodeon in the U.S., of course because of the TV show, but also because Saban Brands has not yet secured a place for Power Rangers on Nickelodeon beyond Super Ninja Steel in 2018.

And Tele, knowing your opinion on the movie, does that make you interested in any other aspect of the franchise? Dino Charge? Ninja Steel?  The adaptation of Kyuranger in 2019?  Because if it does not, I don't think the movie is doing as good a job at selling Power Rangers as the people involved would have liked, if there is just going to be a group of "movie only" fans who do not want, nor will buy, anything else Power Rangers, mostly from the other TV seasons.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

I doubt the Power Rangers movie will ever air on a Disney owned channel like Freeform.  Maybe it's Saban's ego, or maybe it could be Disney not wanting to be associated with anything Power Rangers anymore, but either way, I don't think it will air there.  Lionsgate is most likely to sell the TV rights to Nickelodeon in the U.S., of course because of the TV show, but also because Saban Brands has not yet secured a place for Power Rangers on Nickelodeon beyond Super Ninja Steel in 2018.

And Tele, knowing your opinion on the movie, does that make you interested in any other aspect of the franchise? Dino Charge? Ninja Steel?  The adaptation of Kyuranger in 2019?  Because if it does not, I don't think the movie is doing as good a job at selling Power Rangers as the people involved would have liked, if there is just going to be a group of "movie only" fans who do not want, nor will buy, anything else Power Rangers, mostly from the other TV seasons.

Wow, not beyond 2018? Spongealodeon is gonna kick them off and they'll have to scrape for Netflix pennies afterwards. (the problem would probably improve without Spongealodeon's horrid split Power Rangers seasons though)

On 17/04/2017 at 5:18 AM, Krissykins said:

I don't think the international markets would want to pay for a sequel from Lionsgate unless it was direct to home entertainment. 

16 hours ago, drdungbeetle said:

Yeah, the argument was that Lionsgate can finance movies by preselling international. That only works if the movie has a GIGANTIC performance that makes the international partners want more.  Lionsgate's associates would have to be crazy if they think Rangers 2 would somehow increase after the cruddy performance of #1.

2 hours ago, drdungbeetle said:

Most things would've cost less than the 120 mil production budget of this. Divergent 4 would've megabombed though. Like "less than 60 mil". Lionsgate's preselling of foreign rights is not the magic money train that the industry shills here seem to think it is.

1 hour ago, drdungbeetle said:

Dude, there's no way you can justify a 120 mil movie that only gets about 90 mil in the US and tanks internationally as "profitable". I know you industry people are obsessed with shilling crap blockbusters, but please don't go so far to insult my intelligence. How exactly do you justify these foreign investors getting swindled again and putting the same or more money into a sequel?

What the fuck are you talking about?

Divergent's foreign presales $65m

Insurgent's foreign presales $75m (I saw at deadline but I don't find the link for this one)

Allegiant's foreign presales ~$85m

http://deadline.com/2016/03/allegiant-beat-by-zootopia-weekend-box-office-miracles-from-heaven-1201723263/

http://deadline.com/2015/03/divergent-profit-box-office-2014-1201389595/

2 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

What the fuck are you talking about?

Divergent's foreign presales $65m

Insurgent's foreign presales $75m (I saw at deadline but I don't find the link for this one)

Allegiant's foreign presales ~$85m

http://deadline.com/2016/03/allegiant-beat-by-zootopia-weekend-box-office-miracles-from-heaven-1201723263/

http://deadline.com/2015/03/divergent-profit-box-office-2014-1201389595/

If Allegiant was profitable, why is there no theatrical sequel? EVERYONE outside this board, where people believe in the Magic Chinese Money Train driven by Willy Wonka making every Hollywood release profitable considered Allegiant either a financial disappointment or outright bomb. Or are those foreign phones ringing off the hook to try to finance Divergent 4? 

Lionsgate has made smaller budget movies before. Shoot they put out Tyler Perry movies each year it seems. It really depends on wether this movie was attended to be a large scale blockbuster or average one like other franchises they have. Yes,I'm calling Madea movies a franchise. Plus it well documented. LG is desperate for a franchise after the last Divergent flopped. It's possible they squeeze out another movie. Just to see if it build on this one. Not saying it's likely,but this is LG were talking about.

P.S. @drdungbeetle,we all get you hate the show. So why keep talking on a thread about a show/franchise you hate. Wouldn't your time be better serve talking on any other thread. lol

Edited by Momo

1 minute ago, Momo said:

Lionsgate has made smaller budget movies before. Shoot they put out Tyler Perry movies each year it seems. It really depends on wether this movie was attended to be a large scale blockbuster or average one like other franchises they have. Yes,I'm calling Madea movies a franchise. Plus it well documented. LG is desperate for a franchise after the last Divergent flopped. It's possible they squeeze out another movie. Just to see if it build on this one. Not saying it's likely,but this is LG were talking about.

They'd have to be really desperate then. It took Divergent saga about 2 movies to exhaust its fanbase before the third tanked. Rangers didn't even break 100 mil US on the first shot! I'd hate to see what the law of diminishing returns does to Rangers if it slumps like Divergent saga...

11 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

They'd have to be really desperate then. It took Divergent saga about 2 movies to exhaust its fanbase before the third tanked. Rangers didn't even break 100 mil US on the first shot! I'd hate to see what the law of diminishing returns does to Rangers if it slumps like Divergent saga...

I will grant you this one didn't make 100M in US. Part of it was critic reviews,part of it was bad marketing,and part of it despite what people say is the month it was released. I do think if a second one was made. It might do a little better. If it's not put up against huge movies like BATB,Logan,and Kong. To me PR should have been a late Jan or fall movie. PR has a niche following as you said. For it to make money. It needs to be away from the Disney/Marvels of the world. Any ways this is probably a moot point,because I just don't see another getting made. Unless this movie does some serious numbers in China or Japan to justify one.

Edited by Momo

Just now, Momo said:

I will grant you this one didn't make 100M in US. Part of it was critic reviews,part of it was bad marketing,and part of it despite what people say is the month it was released. I do think if a second one was made. It might do a little better. If it's not put up against huge movies like BATB,Logan,and Kong. To me PR should have been a late Jan or fall movie. PR has a niche following as you said. For it to make money. It needs to be away from the Disney/Marvels of the world. Any ways this is probably a moot point,because I just don't see another getting made. Unless this movie does some series numbers in China or Japan to justify one.

Yeah, I could see this doing better in February or September, those months were pretty barren this year.  I don't think the marketing was that poor, though....there was a lot of talk about the Twitter traffic the trailers generated. The problem was most likely spacing + blockbuster overcrowding, not marketing itself.

33 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

If Allegiant was profitable, why is there no theatrical sequel? EVERYONE outside this board, where people believe in the Magic Chinese Money Train driven by Willy Wonka making every Hollywood release profitable considered Allegiant either a financial disappointment or outright bomb. Or are those foreign phones ringing off the hook to try to finance Divergent 4? 

What the shit are you talking now?

That's not the point. 

You said foreign presales aren't big thing. I prove you are wrong. It would be much worse for Lionsgate if they hadn't foreign presales for Allegiant.

While I don't see a sequel coming for PR, I can see it having a small profit based on facts (not a reason for has a sequel), not based on guessing, so stop talking bullshit, please.

• Like 1

Lionsgate will focus on the return of Saw, I guess.

Then again, Lionsgate isn't producing these movies. Lionsgate will promote Saw, but Twisted Pictures will be producing Saw Legacy, just like all the previous movies. I can't wait for the new movie, considering I'm a fan. :)

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Then again, Lionsgate isn't producing these movies. Lionsgate will promote Saw, but Twisted Pictures will be producing Saw Legacy, just like all the previous movies. I can't wait for the new movie, considering I'm a fan. :)

I wonder if James Wan will return considering he was the director of the first few movies of the series.

Just now, DMan7 said:

I wonder if James Wan will return considering he was the director of the first few movies of the series.

Just the first one and the co-wrote the story for the third, other than that he's got nothing to do with the series.

Just now, Lucas said:

Just the first one and the co-wrote the story for the third, other than that he's got nothing to do with the series.

I think he should return to direct the next one to jump start the franchise again.

On 18/04/2017 at 5:05 PM, Blaze Heatnix said:

If they're counting on this to save their ass.... Resultado de imagem para fafá rindo gif

• Like 4

On 4/18/2017 at 4:50 PM, alisson23 said:

What the shit are you talking now?

That's not the point. 

You said foreign presales aren't big thing. I prove you are wrong. It would be much worse for Lionsgate if they hadn't foreign presales for Allegiant.

While I don't see a sequel coming for PR, I can see it having a small profit based on facts (not a reason for has a sequel), not based on guessing, so stop talking bullshit, please.

How would it be better? The movie still took a bath in the US (its primary market) and the declines were too great to justify continuing the Divergent franchise. Dead is dead. How the heck do the "facts" justify that Rangers or (shudder) Allegiant were profitable? Or are you Lionsgate's secret Russian mafia money man maybe?

Allegiant was not profitable according to deadline, it broke even with an estimated small 3 million profit for Liongates.

It is better to pre-sales if your product underperform on the market you pre-sold, Allegiant dropped by 32% oversea from the second, a predecessor that had grew from the first entry, they probably got a really good price on Allegiant for what it ended up doing.

20 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Allegiant was not profitable according to deadline, it broke even with an estimated small 3 million profit for Liongates.

It is better to pre-sales if your product underperform on the market you pre-sold, Allegiant dropped by 32% oversea from the second, a predecessor that had grew from the first entry, they probably got a really good price on Allegiant for what it ended up doing.

Ah, the Lionsgate Swindle worked again! And now they SAW up in this hizzay to get all that SAHWEET EU cash!