lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

44 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

In relation to budget and worldwide gross, this is a bigger flop than Ghost in the Shell.

You wouldn't think it going by media. They really jumped on the whitewashing backlash for GITS. 

People don't call it as much of a flop because Lionsgate sold all the foreign territories. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

People don't call it as much of a flop because Lionsgate sold all the foreign territories. 

Well,that plus PR budget (100M) is less then GITS (110M according to Mojo site) was and domesticly it did better then GITS (PR made 45M more in US). Now If he only referring to WW. Then he has a point.  GITS did gross more WW. 168M to 135M WW. In China PR looking at 3 to 5M tops. So he can boast that. Although Japan still left for PR so who knows.

Edited by Momo

57 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

In relation to budget and worldwide gross, this is a bigger flop than Ghost in the Shell.

You wouldn't think it going by media. They really jumped on the whitewashing backlash for GITS. 

1) Major studio marketing spending vs Liongates

2) many do not believe that 110m budget going around for GITS, rumors put it in the 180m range.

http://theplaylist.net/ghost-shell-projected-lose-60-million-20170407/

3) Domestic BO is considerably better than OV, seem like a 1.3:1 type of ratio.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Momo said:

Well,that plus PR budget (100M) is less then GITS (110M according to Mojo site) was and domesticly it did better then GITS (PR made 45M more in US). Now If he only referring to WW. Then he has a point.  GITS did gross more WW. 168M to 135M WW. In China PR looking at 3 to 5M tops. So he can boast that. Although Japan still left for PR so who knows.

It's not going to make a significant amount of money in Japan. Hollywood adaptations of Japanese properties typically tank there.

^I agree with you that's usually true,but Power Rangers is not just some adapations. Toei is more involved with it show and movie wise. Then the anime company that produced GITS. In fact it will be coming out their under Toei distrubtion. Not Lionsgate or Saban. Still I don't think it make more then 10M tops. Due to it coming out so late and Super Sentai movies from the same company have never made more then 5-11M. Any ways the movie didn't do enough at the box office to warrant another one. I would be really surprised if another happened. Those who liked the movie like myself. Will still be able to get it on Blu-ray.

Edited by Momo

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

1) Major studio marketing spending vs Liongates

2) many do not believe that 110m budget going around for GITS, rumors put it in the 180m range.

http://theplaylist.net/ghost-shell-projected-lose-60-million-20170407/

3) Domestic BO is considerably better than OV, seem like a 1.3:1 type of ratio.

"Many" or that one website? 

I just meant on the surface it's grosses were further from budget. 

Surprised at how badly Power Rangers tanked everywhere internationally.

I thought the film was bad though, so it's deserved lol. 

25 minutes ago, franfar said:

Movie finished it's run with $85,364,450 DOM. $140,246,402 Worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=powerrangers16.htm

So it was released OS months ago, I assume it's already played out. 

With a budget of 100m, this was a major disappointment.

It still has Japan left in July, but I doubt it makes more than $10 million there (about the same as Ghost in the Shell).

Yeah Lionsgate probably netted a decent payday from this because of their financing model and DOM performance, but they would have to put up a much larger % of the budget for a sequel since intl markets didn't respond to PR. If they budgeted it for a 60/35 theatrical maybe it could work.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:47 PM, Telemachos said:

It's not a flop for Lionsgate,but some of the releasing companies overseas took a bath on it.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:10 PM, Zakiyyah6 said:

I liked the movie but it did terribly. Yes I know that Lionsgate might have made some money but they will lose money if they make another one.

Lionsgate would have a almost impossible job selling the distribution rights to a sequel after what happened with the original.

The Franchise is dead,folks, as far as  movies go.

26 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

Dean Israelite is now blaming the PG-13 rating for the box office run of Power Rangers at Screen Rant.  He believed it could have made more if it was PG.   Of course, consider that it was flop internationally too, where they use other systems than the U.S. rating system.

Well I blame him and the script.