lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

1 minute ago, drdungbeetle said:

Ah, the Lionsgate Swindle worked again! And now they SAW up in this hizzay to get all that SAHWEET EU cash!

Sorry english is a second language to me, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, what deception would have been used ? Yes it worked again to pre-sales a sequel of a franchise movie that did 160 million oversea, sure.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Sorry english is a second language to me, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, what deception would have been used ? Yes it worked again to pre-sales a sequel of a franchise movie that did 160 million oversea, sure.

I was basically agreeing with you, just using hyperbole to mock Lionsgate's practice of foreign presells for movies that underperform (which I consider scummy).

26 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

I was basically agreeing with you, just using hyperbole to mock Lionsgate's practice of foreign presells for movies that underperform (which I consider scummy).

They aren't big enough to run an overseas distribution platform. What would you have them do? Your outrage over this is bizarre. Many of the same distributors benefitted quite well from Lionsgate hits. They're smart, they know full well how to run their businesses. If they think LG is asking too much for a presale, they're welcome to offer less or not get involved. This view that somehow all these poor naive distribution companies are getting cruelly fucked by evil LG is beyond absurd. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

They aren't big enough to run an overseas distribution platform. What would you have them do? Your outrage over this is bizarre. Many of the same distributors benefitted quite well from Lionsgate hits. They're smart, they know full well how to run their businesses. If they think LG is asking too much for a presale, they're welcome to offer less or not get involved. This view that somehow all these poor naive distribution companies are getting cruelly fucked by evil LG is beyond absurd. 

Plot twist it's a CJohn alt. :ph34r:

5 hours ago, drdungbeetle said:

How would it be better? The movie still took a bath in the US (its primary market) and the declines were too great to justify continuing the Divergent franchise. Dead is dead. How the heck do the "facts" justify that Rangers or (shudder) Allegiant were profitable? Or are you Lionsgate's secret Russian mafia money man maybe?

I never said Allegiant was profitable. Even if it gave some profit, it was too small to justify a sequel.

Deadline said Lionsgate has 25% of exposure on PR's costs.

From deadline:

"considering that a majority of the pic’s $100M production cost was funded via Lionsgate’s foreign pre-sales and output deals. Financial sources estimate that the distributor has a 25% exposure including stateside P&A. "

http://deadline.com/2017/03/power-rangers-lionsgate-return-to-big-screen-box-office-1202052445/

100m (budget) + 50m (usual money Lions pay on DOM P&A), but I will say 60m with UK.

100m + 60m = $160m total

25% is $40m

So Lionsgate had $40m of exposure.

Lionsgate receives at least 50% of DOM's BO. $80m would be what Lions needed for PR break even and to start to give some profit later. It did already...

The ones which are going to have a loss are foreign distributors, not Lions.

Lionsgate is dumb, but not the way we think.

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

Allegiant was not profitable according to deadline, it broke even with an estimated small 3 million profit for Liongates.

It is better to pre-sales if your product underperform on the market you pre-sold, Allegiant dropped by 32% oversea from the second, a predecessor that had grew from the first entry, they probably got a really good price on Allegiant for what it ended up doing.

It doesn't exists "broke even with profit".

Or it broke even, or it gave profit.

Break even is the point a product has all its costs recovered with revenues. It doesn't has a loss, it doesn't has a profit, it break even. It's a very exact point.

I hope I made it clear.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Well a movie will never break even then (not make or loose 1$ dollar, just do the exact amount)

You said Allegiant wasn't profitable but it broke even with profit. (????)

Doesn't makes sense. But yeah. I misinterpret what you said.

A profitable movie starts with loss, later break even, then give profit. Never a movie will keep on break even *point* (is almost impossible).

I am going to guess this weekend won't be great for this movie either domestically or internationally.

Even if Lionsgate were to order a sequel, what's to stop that from dropping off significantly even with the addition of a certain character?  PR fans like to mention "Batman Begins to The Dark Knight" when discussing the box office for a sequel, but are movie increases from original to sequel the exception, not the rule?  I thought it was that most sequels have a drop off in box office returns, and The Dark Knight and the Captain America sequel increases are the outliers.

2 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

I am going to guess this weekend won't be great for this movie either domestically or internationally.

Even if Lionsgate were to order a sequel, what's to stop that from dropping off significantly even with the addition of a certain character?  PR fans like to mention "Batman Begins to The Dark Knight" when discussing the box office for a sequel, but are movie increases from original to sequel the exception, not the rule?  I thought it was that most sequels have a drop off in box office returns, and The Dark Knight and the Captain America sequel increases are the outliers.

I put the odds of a sequel at 5 percent at this point. Unless, it does well in China. What reason would their be to green light another movie.

9 hours ago, Blankments said:

Pretty sure a sequel would fall apart at the box office. Feels like TMNT all over again.

According to the charts on Box Office Mojo, 2014 TMNT had many weekend drops in the 40% range.  Power Rangers has yet to have a weekend where the drop has been under 50%.  This movie, if it finishes with $85 million, will have a 2.125 multiplier.  I just do not see the interest in even this movie beyond the existing fan base of Power Rangers, based on its box office run so far, so a sequel is unlikely to generate more interest if this movie did not.  What I have seen the Ranger fans do is compare this movie's box office to Allegiant, instead of Divergent, and that might be a mistake.  This movie is trying to be the first in the series, much like Divergent was, but in order to make it appear Power Rangers is doing better, some fans are choosing to use Allegiant's box office instead.

Edited by Outrageous!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

According to the charts on Box Office Mojo, 2014 TMNT had many weekend drops in the 40% range.  Power Rangers has yet to have a weekend where the drop has been under 50%.  This movie, if it finishes with $85 million, will have a 2.125 multiplier.  I just do not see the interest in even this movie beyond the existing fan base of Power Rangers, based on its box office run so far, so a sequel is unlikely to generate more interest if this movie did not.  What I have seen the Ranger fans do is compare this movie's box office to Allegiant, instead of Divergent, and that might be a mistake.  This movie is trying to be the first in the series, much like Divergent was, but in order to make it appear Power Rangers is doing better, some fans are choosing to use Allegiant's box office instead.

Power Rangers has a VERY narrow demographic slice that considered it "big". Not really much to draw or expand from. That 40 mil opening was pure 90s kids nostalgia, it just didn't expand from the base.

Also, I have difficulty seeing why cable nets would spend a great deal for the rights to THIS movie and somehow get a sequel. Narnia 3 and Turtles 2 didn't get sequels...why would a supposed franchise launch that underperformed Narnia 3 and nearly underperformed Turtles 2 get them?

It's already set to be released on Blu-Ray next month.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/power_rangers/power-rangers-gets-a-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-digital-hd-release-date-a150771

Power Rangers will arrive on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray on June 27, which will be preceded by a Digital HD release on June 13.  

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 10:59 PM, Arlborn said:

That's so fast! It's great though as I'm looking forward to watching it.

I am also excited to finally watch it. I hope Logan and Get Out and Kong gets released soon too, didn't get a chance to watch them in cinemas.

• Like 1