lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Yeah, I don't think those plans are happening anymore. It's not doing too well in any market from what I can tell.

Yeah,the article from March 22,before it debuted. Probably the biggest jinx to the movie ever. lol

• Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 8:37 PM, Momo said:

Yeah,the article from March 22,before it debuted. Probably the biggest jinx to the movie ever. lol

There are some fans on Rangerboard who are still trying to spin this movie as a big win for Lionsgate, but I don't see how, despite all the ways Lionsgate tries to minimize costs, that you can get around basic supply and demand.  There are plenty of superhero movies, and Power Rangers just may not be in demand.  Maybe the final international markets can change things, but so far, there just does not appear to be a big audience for the Power Rangers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

There are some fans on Rangerboard who are still trying to spin this movie as a big win for Lionsgate, but I don't see how, despite all the ways Lionsgate tries to minimize costs, that you can get around basic supply and demand.  There are plenty of superhero movies, and Power Rangers just may not be in demand.  Maybe the final international markets can change things, but so far, there just does not appear to be a big audience for the Power Rangers.

It's their 5 stages of grief. Right now, they are still in denial. lol Some of them were the same peeps claiming it would do better then BATB and Logan months ago.

On 4/13/2017 at 6:22 PM, lilmac said:

I'm intrigued by this positive word of mouth. Looks like the audience reaction outpaced the critical. Nostalgia factor perhaps?

You might be pleased to know that multiple movies are planned. 

https://variety.com/2017/film/spotlight/big-screen-version-power-rangers-hit-theaters-1202013633/

There was positive word of mouth but only among the fans who actually watched it. The drops every week aren't exactly indicative of the great word of mouth, especially dropping 50% on Easter weekend.

Man,it's like talking to a brick wall with some PR fans. You give them details and facts they don't like. They jump on you. My sorries to @Outrageous!. He's right that board has gone full crazy denial. All I did was post pre-sale numbers from South Korea. They started bitching about how I was comparing it to F8? I went off. Saying you better hope it does half of what F8 does in South Korea. Considering it's numbers. lol

1 minute ago, Momo said:

Man,it's like talking to a brick wall with some PR fans. You give them details and facts they don't like. They jump on you. My sorries to @Outrageous!. He's right that board has gone full crazy denial. All I did was post pre-sale numbers from South Korea. They started bitching about how I was comparing it to F8? I went off. Saying you better hope it does half of what F8 does in South Korea. Considering it's numbers. lol

It's a meaningless argument on all sides. 

3 minutes ago, Momo said:

Did they yell FAKE NEWS

• Like 2

This shit just died. Is it finally safe to add this to the list of failed franchises and cinematic universes? 

They truly started talking about seven seven sequels for this thing. It's just baffling, almost sad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

This shit just died. Is it finally safe to add this to the list of failed franchises and cinematic universes? 

They truly started talking about seven seven sequels for this thing. It's just baffling, almost sad.

Haim Saban never been a bright guy. Opened his trap before the numbers even came out. lol

22 minutes ago, AJG said:

Power Rangers movies didn't perform THAT well even in the 90s before Spongealodeon devalued the series into nothingness.

That six movie arc can be kissed goodbye. This isn't getting a sequel. I don't think Japan and China combined have the fuel to generate money for this.

It's pretty much tanked in every international territory it's been released in so far. These aren't good prospects for future investments.

7 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

That six movie arc can be kissed goodbye. This isn't getting a sequel. I don't think Japan and China combined have the fuel to generate money for this.

It's pretty much tanked in every international territory it's been released in so far. These aren't good prospects for future investments.

Try telling that to PR fans. Who some how think LG making a profit on this movie and if you tell them other wise. They blow up in your face. Saying your the bad guy. That you don't know how things work. lol As a standalone movie. Fine,enjoy it,but they are acting like 128 WW is the best thing ever. Like a 3 week drop in the 50 to 60 range is nothing. Like Lionsgate owes them a sequel. Even when the movie hasn't made enough of a profit and is 20 million below it's budget.

Edited by Momo

Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Release
1 Power Rangers (2017) LGF $80,563,800 $80,563,748 3/24/17
2 Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Fox $75,935,900 $38,187,431 6/30/95
3 Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie Fox $15,762,000 $8,363,899 3/28/97
TOTAL: $172,261,700 $127,115,078 -
AVERAGE: $57,420,600 $42,371,693 -

I think the Power Ranger's franchise has a definite audience cap

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Momo said:

Try telling that to PR fans. Who some how think LG making a profit on this movie and if you tell them other wise. They blow up in your face. Saying your the bad guy. That you don't know how things work. lol As a standalone movie. Fine,enjoy it,but they are acting like 128 WW is the best thing ever. Like a 3 week drop in the 50 to 60 range is nothing. Like Lionsgate owes them a sequel. Even when the movie hasn't made enough of a profit and is 20 million below it's budget.

If those rumored excellent pre-sales numbers/co-financing deal are true, they must have made a nice profit no ? Not that it matter much, because I imagine that the possible profit or absence of profit talk for a first franchise entry like that is about the possibility of getting sequels and for that it is much more about if the movie made money in total than if some people like Liongates made money.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If those rumored excellent pre-sales numbers/co-financing deal are true, they must have made a nice profit no ? Not that it matter muc, because I imagine the profit talk for a first entry like that is about the sequels possibility and is more did the movie made money that did Liongates made money.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

How much a particular studio made on a movie is really different to how much a movie made overall. Even thought those fan are probably right when they are saying that Liongates will make a profit from Power Rangers, the movie will have loose money overall.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

But what's increasingly clear from co-productions and more financially-complex entities, is that there isn't really "the movie" as an entity that gains/loses money. A movie like this might not gross as much theatrically worldwide as it cost to make and market worldwide, but that's a different story than whether it was a successful venture for some (or all) of those entities. This is especially true when you take into account we have no good idea what sort of ancillary revenue grosses it will get. 

• Like 1