lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

Just like female Ghostbusters, no one cares about Power Rangers outside America. I will probably watch this when it hits torrents but i have absolutely zero interest in this. None of my friends wants to see it either despite PR being a HUGE part of our childhood. This has that Turtles reboot "meh" vibe all over it.

2 hours ago, trancedanne said:

Just like female Ghostbusters, no one cares about Power Rangers outside America. I will probably watch this when it hits torrents but i have absolutely zero interest in this. None of my friends wants to see it either despite PR being a HUGE part of our childhood. This has that Turtles reboot "meh" vibe all over it.

Im debating whether to watch a cam tonight or wrestlemania. I said nobody cares enough about PR to warrant a movie of this size or any sequel that comes after. Power Rangers isn't a respected franchise, or even well liked. It's a silly program for a generation of kids that didn't grow up with billion dollar superhero films coming out every week. It survives now due to how cheap it is to produce and smart decisions regarding the merchandise.

In the U.K. the brand is known as being a cheap action show for very young kids (I'm talking about kids under 5. The second a parent feels comfortable enough to let their kid watch a 12A/PG13 SpiderMan movie it's over). A grown man expressing desire to watch a Power Rangers branded film would be met with weird looks, as if they said "hey guys, lets go see the Bob the Builder movie". 

I think lots of revivals and adaptations have taught us that good marketing and a good product can influx new life to a diminished brand (Planet of the Apes) or propel certain properties to new heights (lots of obscure Marvel heroes or the Transformers series).

It's not like this film got things very wrong, but it obviously didn't get them right enough.

26 minutes ago, The47th said:

I think lots of revivals and adaptations have taught us that good marketing and a good product can influx new life to a diminished brand (Planet of the Apes) or propel certain properties to new heights (lots of obscure Marvel heroes or the Transformers series).

It's not like this film got things very wrong, but it obviously didn't get them right enough.

THIS. Power Rangers as a program should've evolved a couple years back. Imagine if the franchise retooled into a PG13 tv show or cartoon with smarter writing some years before this film. It could've made new older fans, and helped the brand not be seen as such a joke, which could've helped this film. I myself would've probably watched a couple episodes of a CW Power Rangers show. Shit... maybe that could be the way forward for this thing.

Edited by AJG

It's quite hard to ask for audiences to come and watch a movie based on a cheesy, laughable series. 

Japan and China will decide the fate of the sequels. I really think we don't need 6 movies. A trilogy would be more than enough. Competition has been strong too. Logan, BATB, Kong, Boss Baby, GITS and soon Fast 8. You guys can't possibly imagine a PR movie beating all these monsters, can you?

So, almost 100 million worldwide, without Japan and China. Next markets are:

Belgium 5 April 2017  
France 5 April 2017  
Czech Republic 6 April 2017  
Hungary 6 April 2017  
Italy 6 April 2017  
Slovakia 6 April 2017  
Bulgaria 7 April 2017  
Spain 7 April 2017  
Finland 7 April 2017  
Romania 7 April 2017  
Sweden 7 April 2017  
South Korea 20 April 2017

I'm surprised it's not doing stronger in Japan. China is understandable because of their relationship with Japan, though.

And yeah, we don't need six films... I'd rather Lionsgate find something more interesting to make.

55 minutes ago, AJG said:

THIS. Power Rangers as a program should've evolved a couple years back. Imagine if the franchise retooled into a PG13 tv show or cartoon with smarter writing some years before this film. It could've made new older fans, and helped the brand not be seen as such a joke, which could've helped this film. I myself would've probably watched a couple episodes of a CW Power Rangers show. Shit... maybe that could be the way forward for this thing.

Disney couldn't make it work when they owned it, I doubt Saban will try and reinvent it when it makes money in its current format.

Out of the remaining international markets, France may be the one to get better box office results for PR, because like Brazil and the Philippines, they got dubs of Super Sentai in the 1980s and early 1990s, meaning a larger audience knows about the source material.  And I will not be surprised if South Korea is not as big for the Power Rangers movie, because they are getting a direct sequel to a recent sentai, another dinosaur themed sentai called Kyoryuger (the basis for "Power Rangers Dino Charge") called Power Rangers Dino Force Brave, a sequel to Kyoryuger.  They may not be as interested in something based off a Super Sentai from 25 years ago.

Edited by Outrageous!

5 minutes ago, scabab said:

It's made just $32 million overseas from all those countries after 2 weekends? 

That's unbelievably pathetic, what's going on?

No clue,but who ever market it in those countries should be fired. In comparison GITS which is a bomb here in US. Made 40M in just 32 market OW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

It's quite hard to ask for audiences to come and watch a movie based on a cheesy, laughable series. 

Japan and China will decide the fate of the sequels. I really think we don't need 6 movies. A trilogy would be more than enough. Competition has been strong too. Logan, BATB, Kong, Boss Baby, GITS and soon Fast 8. You guys can't possibly imagine a PR movie beating all these monsters, can you?

So, almost 100 million worldwide, without Japan and China. Next markets are:

Belgium 5 April 2017  
France 5 April 2017  
Czech Republic 6 April 2017  
Hungary 6 April 2017  
Italy 6 April 2017  
Slovakia 6 April 2017  
Bulgaria 7 April 2017  
Spain 7 April 2017  
Finland 7 April 2017  
Romania 7 April 2017  
Sweden 7 April 2017  
South Korea 20 April 2017

Yeah this upcoming week will tell us a lot about it OS that's for sure.

• Like 1

Saw it last night, it was about what I expected; not bad, not great, but if you're a fan you'd probably really get a kick out of it. I saw it with someone who watched every season of Power Rangers until about 2005, and they loved it. Thoughts:

- The rangers were well cast, and definitely had good chemistry with each other. The best parts of the movie were scenes where they just interacted as teenagers, as opposed to the plot exposition or even the fights. Blue was my favourite, Pink second.

- A lot of the humor actually worked, and elevated a few stock standard moments.

- The suits looked better in action than in pictures, but I still wish they looked more classic.

- Cranston was Cranston but didn't have much to do. Hader as Alpha 5 didn't annoy me as much as I thought he would.

- Banks hammed it up way too much for my liking. Other than one nightmare-ish sequence early in the film, I didn't find her threatening or entertaining.

- The action was forgettable. It was mostly just by the numbers training montages at the base, and the Zord action was uninspired (although the moment they charge into battle is fanservice gold, got cheers from the few people at my screening).

I'd probably check out a sequel, but at this point I'm pretty sure there won't be one.

Finally saw it. Meh. Not horrible. Not great. Not good. Just meh. 

The out of costume stuff could've been done way better. Compared to a lot of character driven YA stuff out there it's messy. The Ranger stuff was cheap and stale, and in this day and age of superhero movies it's really disappointing.

Its like a competently made version of Fant4stic with a lot of the same flaws (e.g. The last minute switch to a rushed superhero sequence, only here though the sequence is better put together but still not great). I probably won't watch this one again, but if I had to rate it I'd say "if you're kinda interested in seeing this you may as well. Just watch it at home. It's harmless." 6.5/10

I like a lot of the ideas they have here, I just wish a capable team could've expanded on them. There were moments I started to think this thing could be the next 'great' superhero film, but they blew it. It's a shame.

Edited by AJG