lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

TMNT had a sort of inherent coolness that Power Rangers Never had. It also skewed older. Bad Comparasion.

Additionally, every TMNT movie released has finished #1 at the box office on its opening weekend.  The two previous Power Rangers movies failed to do that.  Compare the first TMNT movie's performance, #5 for the year in 1990, versus Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie, #45 in 1995.  And that had Jason David Frank as Tommy Oliver after he became the White Ranger.

I didn't say it's a good idea. I have seen and said this many times here. We react negatively towards a movie that doesn't appeal to us forgetting the fact that it has a target audience that could give it good-great box office numbers.

What can the Power Rangers offer that Marvel and DC movies can't?  That is why this movie is going to be a tough sell.  It no longer has the mania it had in 1994 to help it like the first Power Rangers movie did.

I can see this doing decently enough. Power Rangers is still referenced in pop culture, though it does not have the current presence like TMNT did with the cartoon series. The January date however is not inspiring confidence since a lot of Oscar movies will definitely be expanding on MLK weekend.

Additionally, every TMNT movie released has finished #1 at the box office on its opening weekend.  The two previous Power Rangers movies failed to do that.  Compare the first TMNT movie's performance, #5 for the year in 1990, versus Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie, #45 in 1995.  And that had Jason David Frank as Tommy Oliver after he became the White Ranger.

What can the Power Rangers offer that Marvel and DC movies can't?  That is why this movie is going to be a tough sell.  It no longer has the mania it had in 1994 to help it like the first Power Rangers movie did.

Let's not speak as if everything is locked.

Lionsgate won't last many years, IMO.

They are incapable of making a good marketing campaign and everything they release bombs. 

They have no clue what to do with Power Rangers.

I guess they're using Michael Bay's condescending approach instead of Marvel Studio/Lucas Film's "we're fanboy ourselves" approach.

http://collider.com/power-rangers-movie-title-budget-character-names/

I’m happy to bring you a host of exclusive details on the Power Rangers movie, which will now be titled Saban’s Power Rangers. Yes, the retitle comes as series co-creator and business magnate Haim Saban looks to attach his name to the picture when it debuts on January 13, 2017. Saban and his partner Shuki Levy have long been critical parts to the success of the Power Rangers franchise, and as we’ve learned, Saban appears to be just as involved as ever.

We had previously reported that the cast of the new Power Rangers movie would have the same names as the original television series. This appears to be just one of the changes being made to the script as we now have a new list of character names for the title heroes. They are as follows:

• Callum Oliver – The Red Ranger/Tyrannosaurus
  • Priya Patel – The Pink Ranger/Pterodactyl
  • Brian Olson – The Blue Ranger/Triceratops
  • Oscar Fernandez – The Black Ranger/Mastodon
  • Teyana Jones – The Yellow Ranger/Sabre-tooth Tiger

Obviously, these can change as well, but they seem to make sense with the current cast for the most part. A couple of interesting things here: First is that these names are not the same as the original cast of characters, which suggests that it will be an all-new team and not a reboot in any sense. The second is that each of the characters appears to be matched up with the Zords (ie animal-themed war machines) from the original series. So while the names may have been changed, it looks like the classic Zords will be dusted off for a new batch of heroes to take the reins.

A final exclusive detail we have for you today is the budget of the film, one which is reported to be in the $35 million range. If that sounds low to you, consider that the cast is composed of relative unknowns who don’t command the same salaries as well-established actors. Also keep in mind that the 2014 hit The Maze Runner had a similar budget, a large cast of young actors, and plenty of jaw-dropping effects; that film went on to net over $340 million worldwide.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

They'll presell the shit outta this and be rolling in profits before they even go into production.

And that is a problem to me.  With a $35 million budget, that sounds to me that this movie may have a similar problem to Jem and the Holograms: what people expect is not what they are going to get.  They wanted an Avengers like movie from Lionsgate, but if that budget is accurate, that is not going to happen.   It doesn't surprise me though: Saban is similar to Blumhouse in that they want to make very cheap productions that can very quickly become profitable.

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

But what are people expecting? It's a super-cheap, incredibly cheesy show... why would you think the movie would be anything else?

Because it is a movie. When people see their childhood franchises on screen, they are expecting "The same thing but bigger". Transformers, for all the other issues it has, delivered on transforming robots on a giant scale worthy of a big screen movie. Even TMNT did it right by not skimping on the effects and the action, which got the desired audience to watch it in theaters.

To come to more recent movies, Jem was made on a 5M budget and basically decided to call a random rags to riches story as Jem. The thing about the 35M budget is that most action scenes now cost a lot, so this kind of means there will be one major setpiece and probably a shorter action scene earlier which can work if they make the audience care about the characters first, but would definitely be somewhat disappointing when you can do so much more now to bring childhood properties to the big screen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

But what are people expecting? It's a super-cheap, incredibly cheesy show... why would you think the movie would be anything else?

That Power/Rangers fan film from earlier this year increased expectations from some in the mainstream audience, probably to unrealistic expectations in my eyes.  If that had not become so popular, then this movie might have been easier to market to them.  But when they see it won't be like Power/Rangers, they will complain about it not being what they wanted.

Edited by Outrageous!

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Because it is a movie. When people see their childhood franchises on screen, they are expecting "The same thing but bigger". Transformers, for all the other issues it has, delivered on transforming robots on a giant scale worthy of a big screen movie. 

They're gonna get "the same thing but bigger." Sure, the VFX won't be as good as TF... they'll probably be on SPY KIDS level. But it'll still be leap-years ahead of the series.

edit: I guess fans didn't get that the "fan film" was basically a parody?

• Like 1

So Lionsgate is doing this? Let me be the first to predict that this movie will have a terrible marketing campaign (that title isn't much of a good start either).

But with a budget of $35M and a decent-sized fanbase, I don't see this movie outright flopping. $18/$48 with around $125M WW.

Bayformers is Transformers for frat boys and jarheads.

The ideal TF movie was the 1986 animated movies and I've accepted that's as good as it's ever going to get for TF fans. Plus we have the Highmoon and Platinum video games.

The thing about Hollywood adaptations is it's a crap shoot. Sometimes you get what you want, other times you don't. You can't win them all. 

• Like 1