A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

6 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Kathleen Kennedy is a legendary producer no doubt but...not a good fit for running SW! This gets more ridiculous by the day, how many announced never to be seen movies have there been now? like 10-12?

It’s insane she still is running Lucasfilm

On 3/3/2023 at 2:07 PM, Eric the Velocipastor said:

My issue here is that these remakes just don't have much longevity when it comes to franchise continuations. The typical life of these remakes is that they come out, people talk about them for nine months, and then never talk about them again. They all coast on the novelty of seeing the scenes and songs and aesthetics you remember from the movie you watched as a kid and nothing else. That works for one movie, and obviously works from different movie to different movie. But it doesn't really get audiences invested in the characters enough to see them in a follow-up adventure. Both Alice 2 and Maleficent 2 suffered this fate. People liked the remakes okay, but it wasn't enough to get you excited to see them again. Why would a prequel to what many consider one of the worst remakes hold any better than those films?

Really the only financially viable way if you want a franchise continuation is to do what they were going to do with Beauty and the Beast and do a Disney+ show. You still get big headlines and people are more willing to have it on as something in the background rather than pay money to see it in theaters.

Can you not ask questions and just consume, mmkay?  I command you to CONSUME, consumer!

8 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I don't think I've seen such an incompetent operation since the Jeb! Bush campaign

Kathleen is a MESS, a WASTE

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Knock It Off 1

You know Rogue Squadron is its own thing which I won't comment on.  But given the current state of the MCU, did ANY ONE  here ACTUALLY expect Kevin Feige to devote ANY amount of time to a Star Wars project given he's presumably All Hands On Deck over in Marvel Land? 

Personally, I think Feige's production getting shelved says FAR more about Feige devoting all of this time to Marvel than it does about Kathleen Kennedy's stewardship of Star Wars.  Especially with the comments about Marvel slowing down and taking more time on projects.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Well.... now the next Star Wars movie just needs to be great to prove this theory.

Now I realize that KK is in a position of "Show me"/"prove it to me", but the fact that they have been taking their time on their latest project does show that they are taking concerns to heart.

Doesn't mean the execution will work, as you know better than many on this board just how difficult making movies is (as well as how many cooks there are in the kitchen).

Also don't think it needs to be "great", as I am the president and founder of Club Hype Is The Dark Side.  But I was pointing out that taking their time to get something done well isn't a bad thing.  Hell, I even said "more the second tweet than the first" to forestal this very type of comment (if it was possible to just quote the second tweet, I would have).

(also, it has to be said, COVID came at a really bad time — but that's another subject)

====

Now I do have *A LOT*  more I can say on this, but I really ought to hold my tongue.  

I will say: Let's revisit this whole discussion.... Soon.

Yes.  "Soon."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

*tap tap tap*

*rolls d20*

Huh.

Fair enuf.

"Watch this space" is all I'll say.  Just... "watch this space".

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Now I realize that KK is in a position of "Show me"/"prove it to me", but the fact that they have been taking their time on their latest project does show that they are taking concerns to heart.

Doesn't mean the execution will work, as you know better than many on this board just how difficult making movies is (as well as how many cooks there are in the kitchen).

Also don't think it needs to be "great", as I am the president and founder of Club Hype Is The Dark Side.  But I was pointing out that taking their time to get something done well isn't a bad thing.  Hell, I even said "more the second tweet than the first" to forestal this very type of comment (if it was possible to just quote the second tweet, I would have).

(also, it has to be said, COVID came at a really bad time — but that's another subject)

====

Now I do have *A LOT*  more I can say on this, but I really ought to hold my tongue.  

I will say: Let's revisit this whole discussion.... Soon.

Yes.  "Soon."

What has Kathleen Kennedy revealed to you? 

Have to say the next Star Wars theatrical will likely have the most pressure on it of any Star Wars movie, and likely not enough to keep competition away unlike TFA.

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

What has Kathleen Kennedy revealed to you? 

Nothing, actually. 

But there is a lot of smoke that I trust going around.  A lot more smoke than any time in recent memory. Or rather different indicators that I have personally have been looking for that weren't present in the last couple of years of rumormongering.

Plus there is a High Profile Lucasfilm event next month.  Just sayin'.

But it is still just smoke and I am on record as wanting very much to stay the hell away from these conversations until official announcements are made by LFL as I am sick and tired of repeating myself.  Over and over and over again. And over again.

And, KK has in fact brought at least some of this on herself.  Only some of it though and not nearly to the degree that her detractors like to say.

On the whole though, I am more than self-aware to know that these conversations ain't gonna go anywhere constructive (IMO at least) until LFL makes its next public move.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

did they just forget to can the rian Johnson trilogy?  

A Rian Johnson trilogy is the single worst decision they can make right now. Johnson is happy getting to play in his own sandboxes, and the best time to announce his trilogy, if it ever happens, will be after 2-3 successful movies by others.

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

did they just forget to can the rian Johnson trilogy?  

Theoretically it is still in development/waiting for Rian Johnson's calendar and LFL's calendar to align.

Practically speaking?  "We'll see."  But both sides are still making 'happy talk' about the project, so it ain't dead yet.  Not officially at least.

(though, again, practically speaking, I would presume it'd be a film-by-film basis if it ever happened)

"shelved" pretty much means the same thing .

Any inactive project can be revived if the right collective of invested personnel comes along, but it's clear Rogue Squadron is not gonna be an official final product for at least the next few years.

Edited by AniNate

17 hours ago, grim22 said:

A Rian Johnson trilogy is the single worst decision they can make right now. Johnson is happy getting to play in his own sandboxes, and the best time to announce his trilogy, if it ever happens, will be after 2-3 successful movies by others.

Johnson is probably happy doing his Knives Out movies if no other reason then he owns that franchise outright, and making a lot more profit  from them then he could with a Star Wars movie.

Edited by dudalb

10 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Kathleen Kennedy has given us TFA, TLJ, RO, Mando, Andor, Willow. Sure she had a big whiff in TROS, but the good far outweighs the bad.

It's wild how much hate she gets for being an excellent producer.

TLJ was a problem  whether you want to admit it or not. Whiffing the TROS was also a gigantic problem since it means the entire sequel trilogy pretty much ended up a dud and leaves no one excited for any follow ups.  You also forgot Solo which was the first Star Wars bomb. Also when pretty much the same thing is happening with directors over and over again it doesn't look good no matter how you spin it

Edited by John Marston

23 hours ago, grim22 said:

which would be probably be in the 2030s. Who knows the state of Lucasfilm and who remains there at the time. It is for the best for everyone for there absolutely be no Rian Johnson trilogy. Luckily I don't think Bob Iger is dumb enough to greenlight it. Especially since he wants to reportedly made 5 billion in cost cutting efforts 

Edited by John Marston