Punishment

Weekend Actuals 5/9-5/11 Neigh 49, TASM 35.5, TOW 9.6, HIFR 7.5

Visual style has much more to do with cinematography, lighting, costume design, character design, production design, and direction than it does location. Location is an afterthought comparatively.

Location is hardly an afterthought, it's an equally important part of the equation.

• Like 1

Most of the comments on the last few pages disturb me to my core. First, you had the writer of Speed 2 and Rush Hour 3 as the franchise's savior and now you're placing Spidey in Hong Kong.

It's just wrong, and don't get no wronger.

Posted Image

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 6

Omg. Even better that Godzilla isn't NY or LA.

Werk, Godzilla.

Give a new city that representation, bb.

Posted Image

Hey, I was raised in the San Francisco Bay Area....

But I also note that only a little second unit work on Godzilla was actually done in San Francisco,most of the SF scenes were shot in Vancouver, BC and of course in the studio.......

i was of the opinion that while im, ca, thor and superman can participate in an international, planetary and inter-galactic story arches, spidey's stories will never have that room.

but apart from capturing mr. lau from hong kong and a few scenens in the early part of batman begins, the batman trilogy is almost entirely set in gotham city. the batman movies dabble in everyhting from ethics to politics. no reason why spidey can be based in nyc and have one of it's villains from outside nyc if they want a different locations. 

Spidey has a good gallery of villains, but they aren't anywhere near as interesting as Batman's gallery. It seems a lot of the Spidey villains have absolutely zero in common with Spidey himself, whereas a ton of the Batman villains seem to be a direct reflection on Batman himself. To me, that is what has made Batman stand the test of time better than a lot of the other supeheroes out there.

Location is hardly an afterthought, it's an equally important part of the equation.

Visual style has nothing to do with buildings and scenery in the film. It's how they're presented. Just look at how the scenery in the south looks in 12 Years A Slave compared to Django Unchained.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1

Hell, I'd argue Mission Impossible 4's early success was nearly entirely hinged on location. Those shots in the marketing of Cruise scaling the Burj Khalifa got people hyped for the franchise like it hadn't had in a good decade. Then the fact that it was good movie ensured great legs. That's what TASM3 needs. It needs to look fresh and exciting in the marketing first, and then it needs to be a good movie to have the legs.

• Like 4

Good, inspired location shooting will always trump replacements (whether an anonymous city or greenscreen). Spidey is synonymous with New York, why take away one of the classic aspects about his identity?

I haven't seen either of the reboots, but if people are bitching about the sameness of the location and visuals, I'm betting they shot in overly-familiar "New York" locations (Times Square, natch), giving little thought to the unique identities of so much of the city and outlying area.

• Like 7

Visual style has nothing to do with buildings and scenery in the film. It's how they're presented. Just look at how the scenery in the south looks in 12 Years A Slave compared to Django Unchained.

I don't know how you can sit there and tell me it has nothing to do with the scenery. It's literally what's being presented. It's only a part of the equation, but it IS a part of the equation

And Marc Webb's sticking around, so a 12YAS vs Django comparison doesn't really apply

Good, inspired location shooting will always trump replacements (whether an anonymous city or greenscreen). Spidey is synonymous with New York, why take away one of the classic aspects about his identity?

I haven't seen either of the reboots, but if people are bitching about the sameness of the location and visuals, I'm betting they shot in overly-familiar "New York" locations (Times Square, natch), giving little thought to the unique identities of so much of the city and outlying area.

This is like taking Superman out of Metropolis or Batman out of Gotham City(both of which are versions of NYC).

Or The Dark Knight out of Chicago. ;)

The big framing shot of Spidey atop the Gherkin will make plenty of Londoners laugh

In the comics, Spidey has been to London a number of times....and the top of St Paul's Catherdrial seems to be his favorite perch.

You're on a box office forum and haven't seen them? That is...(drumroll please)...AMAZING.

I haven't seen TASM2 either

Solidarity, Tele :hi5:

• Like 3

Webb is not a good director for visuals. 

• Like 3

True.  What's wrong with changing it up a bit with a Spider-Man chase through The Cloisters, the Bronz Zoo or the Brooklyn Botanical garden?

• Like 2