Punishment

Weekend Actuals 5/9-5/11 Neigh 49, TASM 35.5, TOW 9.6, HIFR 7.5

Honestly something has to be done to get American audiences excited for Spidey again

Only two things will work. An academy award winning film or a break. I would prefer the latter than a film that takes the quality down even further. Still maintain TASM2 is far better than SM3, but it is a drop from TASM and obviously this series, while I feel are excellent in their own right, are not better than the first two films. And, as such, are just not as wanted and definitely not needed by most.

• Like 1

When you pubically put it out there in the indusrty trades you feel like your films "reasonable" expectations are for a BILLION---then, yeah, jobs are on the line.$750m is not a silver lining fallback

No offense, but I don't think you know what you're talking about. People (higher ups as I assume you mean) lose jobs for maybe bombs like Lone Ranger and John Carter (similar budgets and under $300m ww), not for hitting $750m ww when they were hoping for $850m+, etc.
  • Like 2

Only two things will work. An academy award winning film or a break. I would prefer the latter than a film that takes the quality down even further. Still maintain TASM2 is far better than SM3, but it is a drop from TASM and obviously this series, while I feel are excellent in their own right, are not better than the first two films. And, as such, are just not as wanted and definitely not needed by most.

What is their plan, another one in 2 years? The short turnaround between films is not helping. After awhile franchise fatique sets in. Clearly that is the case for Spidey right now. About a 10 year break would be good.

• Like 2

I hope so. It deserves it. My film of the year so far.

A Spider-Man film has not been my film of the year since SM2 ten years ago.

2007- 3:10 to Yuma

2012- The Avengers

2014- Captain America 2(So far)

• Like 3

What is their plan, another one in 2 years? The short turnaround between films is not helping. After awhile franchise fatique sets in. Clearly that is the case for Spidey right now. About a 10 year break would be good.

10 years would be fine with me. Hell, 7 would be good, even 5. The further we get away from the Raimi series the better. People will most likely just ignore the TASM series, much like they ignored the last couple Brosnan Bonds, when CR came out in 2006. Bond was ready for an overhaul at that point, despite just a 4 year break between films.

But they need to make a new Spider-Man film. Not a different take on the old ones.

• Like 1

10 years would be fine with me. Hell, 7 would be good, even 5. The further we get away from the Raimi series the better. People will most likely just ignore the TASM series, much like they ignored the last couple Brosnan Bonds, when CR came out in 2006. Bond was ready for an overhaul at that point, despite just a 4 year break between films.

But they need to make a new Spider-Man film. Not a different take on the old ones.

And how exactly do they do that? Raimi pretty much nailed the origin story. He even nailed a supporting character that could have easily been overlooked (Jameson). At least Burton left some ground to cover for Nolan by barely covering the origin story and treating Commissioner Gordon like a stooge.

No offense, but I don't think you know what you're talking about. People (higher ups as I assume you mean) lose jobs for maybe bombs like Lone Ranger and John Carter (similar budgets and under $300m ww), not for hitting $750m ww when they were hoping for $850m+, etc.

None taken.

And while I acknowledge the differences of say a LR to TASM2, you're downplaying the stated studio expectation just now. The statement was we see $1Billion. That's a quarter of a billion difference.That's not an increase over the first. There are stakeholders to answer to. Jobs are on the line for an embarassement like this. I for one want be shocked to see a shakeup at SONY from the mid-mgmt or higher while some might.

probably the only thing they can really do is hire different writers for ASM 3 and do their best to keep the budget lower. 

The former is easy, the latter not so much

And how exactly do they do that? Raimi pretty much nailed the origin story. He even nailed a supporting character that could have easily been overlooked (Jameson). At least Burton left some ground to cover for Nolan by barely covering the origin story and treating Commissioner Gordon like a stooge.

They do it by skipping the origin.

Honestly, if you're going to reboot a property, there's no need to tell an origin story at all, unless it hasn't been told or you're going to do it in a very different way.

So while Nolan got away with it, and X-Men First Class more or less did, too, you can probably see a fair bit of criticism about TASM because it wasn't different enough. (And I say this as someone who liked a lot of what they did do in it.) To a lesser degree, MoS probably gets some of that, although they really did work to make it a different origin story there.

Presumably, Spidey will get another reboot. I hope at that time they just make a Spider-Man film without going into too much detail about how he became Spider-Man.

(FF may be able to get away with it, but that's more because the previous films aren't well regarded at all. If you're going to remake something, remake something bad.)

• Like 3

Honestly, if you're going to reboot a property, there's no need to tell an origin story at all, unless it hasn't been told or you're going to do it in a very different way.

So while Nolan got away with it, and X-Men First Class more or less did, too, you can probably see a fair bit of criticism about TASM because it wasn't different enough. (And I say this as someone who liked a lot of what they did do in it.) To a lesser degree, MoS probably gets some of that, although they really did work to make it a different origin story there.

Presumably, Spidey will get another reboot. I hope at that time they just make a Spider-Man film without going into too much detail about how he became Spider-Man.

(FF may be able to get away with it, but that's more because the previous films aren't well regarded at all. If you're going to remake something, remake something bad.)

but they have already done the origin again so it is too late.  Honestly I think it is kind of weird that ASM 2, the one without the origin, is the one flailing so much. Even ASM 1 had a solid second weekend hold (yes I know it was a Tuesday opening but it still burned off demand with Summer weekdays and went up against Ice Age 4)

Edited by John Marston

Again the rights issue rears its ugly head.  I don't think Sony can go 10 years without it reverting back to Disney.

True, but they don't need to release a film every two years, either. They can slow down the production a little bit.

Unless they include high school, Uncle Ben getting shot and a best Osborn friend, I really don't see how audiences are suppose to know how he becomes Spider-Man. 

Whatever happened to that $80M Twilight-esque plan Sony had? That was an awesome plan.

That was one of the most hilarious things ever. Even more hilarious when we realized TASM had a price tag of 225M and nobody understands how. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

also another thing they should do in addition to the first two things I mentioned. Move it back to July. Since Spider-Man is pretty much solely being fuelled by kids and families now it seems, better take advantage of summer weekdays

• Like 6

I'm all for skipping the origin, but they have to pretty much nail everything for people to embrace it like they did the first two Raimi movies. I say that as someone who didn't like the Raimi movies as much as the general audience seemed to. They have an uphill climb, that is certain.

• Like 1