CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

25 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

Kong is in very serious danger

amount of advanced screening between logan ,kong, and beauty and the beast is mind blowing

logan: 7 advanced screenings

beauty and the beast: 10 advanced screenings

Kong: 138 advanced screenings

http://www.advancescreenings.com/

Thats the exact opposite of worrisome.  That means the studio is confident and is showing the film to as many as they can.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

I have to agree with Gokira here. WB are desperate. People are not excited about the movie.  WB are trying to drum up interest

Yeah they probably are worried- that's why they are showing it to so many people. They think it's a good movie and want people to know that, hence the screenings. If they were worried about the quality of the film and about the awareness of it I don't think we'd see any screenings at all.

Just now, Lavochkin said:

Yeah they probably are worried- that's why they are showing it to so many people. They think it's a good movie and want people to know that, hence the screenings. If they were worried about the quality of the film and about the awareness of it I don't think we'd see any screenings at all.

I didn't say anything about quality. But the movie must not be tracking well, hence the abundance of FREE screenings

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

You guys are reading way too much into this. Studios do early screenings when they're excited about a movie. The fact they're excited doesn't automatically mean it'll do well, it just means they think they have a good movie that'll resonate with their target audience. 

why does kong have 140% more screenings than beauty and the beast and logan

24 minutes ago, Alli said:

I didn't say anything about quality. But the movie must not be tracking well, hence the abundance of FREE screenings

But if the movie is good, and the screenings get good word out about the film that is obviously going to increase the amount of seats filled come release. If the movie is bad, and WB know it, they wouldn't have so many screenings and just wait until release to maximize the amount of butts in seats before people realize it's bad.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

why does kong have 140% more screenings than beauty and the beast and logan

WB likes to do early screenings. Also, those other two are extremely well-known franchises with huge built-in fan bases. You might as well wonder why Disney doesn't do early screenings for SW

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

WB likes to do early screenings. Also, those other two are extremely well-known franchises with huge built-in fan bases. You might as well wonder why Disney doesn't do early screenings for SW

really, king kong isn't isn't a well known franchise with an established fan base

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lavochkin said:

But if the movie is good, and the screenings get good word out about the film that is obviously going to increase the amount of seats filled come release. If the movie is bad, and WB know it, they wouldn't have so many screenings and just wait until release to maximize the amount of butts in seats before people realize it's bad.

THIS...

This can only help the film Gokira.

46 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

really, king kong isn't isn't a well known franchise with an established fan base

I know.

I mean....who doesn't know King Kong? Granted, to say that it has a "fan base" is questionable because Kong has more of a legacy than a diehard following like Godzilla.

Edited by NoobSaibot

I don't think this is foreboding but the marketing just feels kind of rushed. Like someone finally looked up from whatever they were doing and realized 'Oh shit, the public doesn't know about this!'. I expected WB to push this hard.

Is Godzilla vs. King Kong really that assured to the point where they go 'Whatever happens with Skull Island happens, we're going through with this"?

I follow the official marketing on tumblr (shoot me) & in the past two weeks I think we've gotten like thirty videos, and most of those weren't even TV spots. They haven't even finished highlighting half the cast yet. If you wanted ordinary people to get invested, you needed more than a month...

Edited by Morieris

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

No?

Of the 2016 released movies, this would be the 4th most expensive. (Behind only Rogue One, Civil War and BvS)

Don't know how that isn't surprising. 

Well 190M would put it close to Tarzan 180 million, I think most would expect Kong to have a bigger budget, a movie like Deepwater Horizon had a 156 million gross budget after all, 

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes had a 235.33 million gross budget. 190 million net would be reasonable for a Kong movie, that went and shoot on nice location:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3731562/locations

Vietnam, Hawaii, Australia, 

Last year going by reported budget you can add Finding Dory, we need to wait until the end of this year to have a better idea of the real budget, when some tax credit audit will get public.

4 hours ago, Stormagden said:

Budget hasn't been confirmed. Remember when everyone thought suicide squad has a $225,000,000 budget.

Budget rarely get confirmed, a don't think we will ever know the budget of Suicide squad Illinois do not disclose movie budget, we need to go with rumors and what people involved say, so between 175 million and north of 250.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

No?

Of the 2016 released movies, this would be the 4th most expensive. (Behind only Rogue One, Civil War and BvS)

Don't know how that isn't surprising. 

This is a movie that relies heavily on vfx just like those films you mentioned. Also, GODZILLA'a budget back in 2014 was 160 M. This looks bigger in scale and scope.

The ARG website Discover Skull Island just had a HUGE update. There are interactive monster reports, giving detailed information on monsters featured in the trailers and TV spots, as well as some that haven't been revealed yet. There are field reports from the character Brooks, some photography from Mason Weaver (Brie's character), and GIF images of some of the locations to be shown in the film.

Just be warned that it is spoiler intensive. Especially the field recordings.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

kong just added another screening

number is 139

i'm just gonna go to a free screening instead of paying

Which makes me wonder how many free screenings would be on the edge between gaining money through WOM and losing money through sheer tickets loss...

• Like 2