ecstasy

Wednesday Throwback May 14, 1914 Box Office

IMAX DMR is not True IMAX. Bring on True IMAX movies shot with True IMAX Camera like TDKR. I think only Christopher Nolan shoots with True IMAX camera. Most of it what they label as IMAX movies are shot with Arri 4K or RED Epic 4K/5K (Peter Jackson used this for his HOBBITS movies, these are the closest to IMAX superb definition). 

My biggest regret is not to watch TDKR on IMAX for a hundred times more. All IMAX movies I saw has been a series of disappointments (PACRIM, GRAVITY, WRATH OF TITANS). HOBBIT2 & OBLIVION, PROMETHEUS are the only movies that are not shot with IMAX cameras but  achieve IMAX-like definition & experience. PROMETHEUS, directed by Ridley Scott, is the best looking scifi since.....ever. Too bad the writing is super bad. TF3 DARK OF THE MOON is a superbly lensed & processed movie. Worth to see it on IMAX. Just need to tell the filmmakers not to go crazy with the super-tight framing & dizzying MTV fast cuts.

Totally aware that IMAX DMR is not true IMAX, but I was just pointing out that films like TDK and TDKR are still using the DMR process for over half of the film (maybe less on TDKR, need to check). Other films shot with true IMAX cameras – Very small portion of Transformers 2, MI:GP, ST:ID, and the new Transformers will be the first hollywood film to use the new IMAX 3D digital camera. 

Pacific Rim looked great in digital IMAX, but not on the 70ft screen since the rapid camera movements caused way to much strobing. I saw it originally in 70mm but it was unwatchable for me, so I returned the ticket and went to another theater to see in digital IMAX (same thing happened on Transformers: DOM for me). They both looked fantastic in digital IMAX on a smaller but still very large screen. Few films directing styles are suited for the true IMAX experience but Oblivion and Prometheus, like you mentioned, definitely fit the bill. 

What was in theaters in 1914?  Thomas Edison's motion picture reel of a man riding a horse?   :D

The oldest film I've ever seen was Metropolis (1927) and I couldn't get through it.

Edited by lilmac

Totally aware that IMAX DMR is not true IMAX, but I was just pointing out that films like TDK and TDKR are still using the DMR process for over half of the film (maybe less on TDKR, need to check). Other films shot with true IMAX cameras – Very small portion of Transformers 2, MI:GP, ST:ID, and the new Transformers will be the first hollywood film to use the new IMAX 3D digital camera. 

Pacific Rim looked great in digital IMAX, but not on the 70ft screen since the rapid camera movements caused way to much strobing. I saw it originally in 70mm but it was unwatchable for me, so I returned the ticket and went to another theater to see in digital IMAX (same thing happened on Transformers: DOM for me). They both looked fantastic in digital IMAX on a smaller but still very large screen. Few films directing styles are suited for the true IMAX experience but Oblivion and Prometheus, like you mentioned, definitely fit the bill. 

The images from Nolan DK movies are just simply beautiful, color saturation, definition, the vastness of the image. Does GA even notice this?

I saw OBLIVION twice on IMAX. The director, Joseph Kosinski, has real talent for designing large scale images. I would keep him in my stable and give him better scripts.

• Like 2

Orphan Black

Heh. I just finished From Up on Poppy Hill. I enjoyed it a lot. There's still time for a couple episodes of Orphan Black.

Though I suppose I could also watch the latest Game of Thrones.

IMAX DMR is not True IMAX. Bring on True IMAX movies shot with True IMAX Camera like TDKR. I think only Christopher Nolan shoots with True IMAX camera. Most of it what they label as IMAX movies are shot with Arri 4K or RED Epic 4K/5K (Peter Jackson used this for his HOBBITS movies, these are the closest to IMAX superb definition). 

No. I mean, yes, a decent number of films are shot on those cameras in general, but it has nothing to do with IMAX or otherwise. (And it's worth pointing out that many films still finish in 2K or 3K, regardless of what resolution they were acquired at).

FWIW, I saw PACIFIC RIM on a real IMAX screen (though projected digitally, I assume), and I thought it looked great.

• Like 1

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/box-office-preview-godzilla-stomps-into-theaters-tonight/

UPDATE, 9:44 P.M: I know it’s early still, but we’re hearing that Godzilla may be exceeding expectations tonight in late-night bows and will end up north of $6M in the AM.

Can someone start an early weekend thread with this info?  Ed, I know you like starting those threads :).  I wouldn't be able to keep it updated properly.

• Like 1

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/box-office-preview-godzilla-stomps-into-theaters-tonight/

UPDATE, 9:44 P.M: I know it’s early still, but we’re hearing that Godzilla may be exceeding expectations tonight in late-night bows and will end up north of $6M in the AM.

Can someone start an early weekend thread with this info?  Ed, I know you like starting those threads :).  I wouldn't be able to keep it updated properly.

For the record, you don't have to worry about the upkeep of a thread....there are enough mods on here that they can do it as well.  Anytime you have info like what you posted, please make a thread for it.  :)

• Like 2

I got beat to it by Tarzan.  :ph34r: