#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Didn't like this new one, but Godzilla 98 selling more tickets than this is frightening.

In 1998 there were 1.48b tickets sold, about 140-180m more than will be sold this year. Godzilla not quite matching the 98 one shouldn't be that much of a big deal.
  • Like 1

While we're on the topic of poorly rendered CGI, they've been showing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on TV again. There's a multitude of piss poor CGI in that movie.

Lord what a terrible movie that was. I can't think of a worse swan song Connery could have chosen,

Well, except Kingdom of the Crystal Cash Grab. ;)

• Like 1

As far as the Avatar sequel goes, "Only fools doubt Cameron" is my mantra. It doesn't really matter how many quotable lines or parodies the original film has spawned. All that is out the window when the new film comes out.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Avatar 2 will be big, no doubt.  I do question on whether it's possible for it to be as big as Avatar.

You could bring up the Titanic comparison but there's a couple of points

1.Avatar wasn't as big as Titanic, sure it out-grossed it but that's from all of those 3D prices, plus inflation, plus IMAX.

2.Avatar started the 3D craze, that craze has been dying out, the revolutionary effects were part of the reason it took off.

3.It's a sequel, Avatar was insanely popular, but so was Star Wars and look at the drop from Star Wars to the Empire Strikes Back (and then put those in adjusted numbers.  Star Wars adjusts to 1.1b domestic, Empire Strikes back adjusts to 620m domestic for their first runs, absolutely insane numbers for both of them, but it's a huge drop off)

Expect Avatar 2 to be huge, but don't expect Avatar 2 to be Avatar huge.

Well its a WW game, so...

1. Why does that matter?

2. OS?

3. Sequels can't increase? A 400M+ sequel never increased, oh wait Catching Fire did.

I do remember reading that too

It looks like it could have been more like Fleischer's Superman than Clampett's usual wacky stuff like Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.

Shame it never happened. Some nice animation from the looks of it, especially from the time period.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

It obliterated them.

Exactly. So where is the cultural relevance every other previous giga-hit (and even those smaller than Avatar) showcased? Iconic quotes, scenes, characters, themes, relationships. Man of Steel? lul wut? I'll give you John Carter.

And now Bobby John is questioning whether or not the Avatar sequel will be big?  

I'm arguing that it's not gonna increase to 3-3.8 billion like Superman001 is so sure of it will. Learn to read. ^_^

Avatar 2 will be big, no doubt.  I do question on whether it's possible for it to be as big as Avatar.

You could bring up the Titanic comparison but there's a couple of points

1.Avatar wasn't as big as Titanic, sure it out-grossed it but that's from all of those 3D prices, plus inflation, plus IMAX.

2.Avatar started the 3D craze, that craze has been dying out, the revolutionary effects were part of the reason it took off.

3.It's a sequel, Avatar was insanely popular, but so was Star Wars and look at the drop from Star Wars to the Empire Strikes Back (and then put those in adjusted numbers.  Star Wars adjusts to 1.1b domestic, Empire Strikes back adjusts to 620m domestic for their first runs, absolutely insane numbers for both of them, but it's a huge drop off)

Expect Avatar 2 to be huge, but don't expect Avatar 2 to be Avatar huge.

I think it's almost impossible for it to be as big as Avatar.  But Avatar grossed 2.7 billion.  Even if this was to drop to 1.5 billion (which I don't think it will go that low), that's still a massive success.  As for it not really outgrossing Titanic, who really knows.  Titanic did 1.2 billion internationally and Avatar did 2 billion.  Who was really bigger?  I don't really think it matters.  Avatar 2 is going to be huge.

looks like it could have been more like Fleischer's Superman than Clampett's usual wacky stuff like Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. Shame it never happened. Some nice animation from the looks of it, especially from the time period.
That would have been really cool
  • Like 1

There's a reason it didn't get greenlit with a 200m budget until it did, though.

But this is animation not live action. The reason Clampett's John Carter cartoons never saw the light of day was because the studio was interested in making the cartoons, (I presume this was made when Clampett left Warner Brothers and tried to start his own studio but failed), backed out of the project, because they thought that the concept was too weird.

My, my, how times have changed.

Edited by Fancyarcher