#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

So what we're saying is...Cap 2 wouldn't have received a big bump had it not been for The Avengers.

I know it received a bump because of the Avengers. But damn the fact remains that the first movie only made 370m. The Avengers bump didn't bump the 2nd movie all the way to 700m.  I don't care what you guys say.

• Like 3

Worse Mays have happened (adj):

1. The Four Seasons: $144m
2. Bustin Loose: $90m
3. Take This Job and Shove It: $50m

1. BTTF III: $165m
2. Bird on a Wire: $134m
3. Cadillac Man: $50m

1. Backdraft: $147m
2. What About Bob?: $120m
3. Thelma and Louise: $86m

1. Cliffhanger: $161m
2. Dave: $121m
3. Made In America: $86m

1. Beverly Hills Cop II: $312m

2. Ernest Goes to Camp: $48m

3. Ishtar: $29m  :ph34r:

1. Crocodile Dundee II: $212m

2. Willow: $111m

3. Rambo III: $104m

Maleficent will pull 2014 ahead of 2010 for worst of the decade. 

Looking at those years, it's crazy how times change what types of films break out ... different times. 

Edited by Adam

I know it received a bump because of the Avengers. But damn the fact remains that the first movie only made 370m. The Avengers bump didn't bump the 2nd movie all the way to 700m.  I don't care what you guys say.

No. The Avengers Bump + Amazing Marketing Campaign + Empty Market + Being a Fantastic Movie was what made it do 700M WW.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

Plus Snow White had K-Stew sleeping with the director. Or did that come after the movie was released?

I highly doubt what goes behind the scenes will impact a movie at the BO. Rarely do the GA give a shit about that kind of stuff.

Compared to forum expectations I'd say it's probably overperformed by about 100m. Thor 2 was a reasonable gauge to how it would do, but it turned out to be a much better movie. (Which I've still not seen. I really need to go back to the cinema one of these days.)

Thank you Hatebox. I hope you do get to see it in theaters. It's really good.

No. The Avengers Bump + Amazing Marketing Campaign + Empty Market + Being a Fantastic Movie was what made it do 700M WW.

Sure. Of course. The things that make a movie a success.

• Like 1

Not sure how Cap's WW gross was a surprise. Didn't IM3 receive a similar bump?

IM3 had an artificial 3D bump. Plus it was the first solo movie released after TA.  And it was arguably the most popular MCU character.  So yeah it was bound to get the biggest bump.

Now CATWS was the third solo movie so the TA bump is even more diluted.  Cap had the weakest OS of the big 3.  It supposedly had the least OS appeal.  And no 3D boost.  And it wasn't a summer opener. 

I had it at 400 so 450+ was still surprising.

• Like 2

It's not really because they're just replacing one month with another, not expanding anything.

I think it has.  The success of CATWS has opened up the argument to having CA3 move to April. Which I'm OK with actually. (And I hate opening up that can of worms in a weekend thread).  Fast 7 is also releasing early April so yeah, the time frame for big summer type movies has opened up a bit to include April.

I am watching X-Men Animated Series DOFP episodes on youtube...It's interesting to see Bishop being the one going back in time but the overall story/theme still being very similar...

I've watched that episode so many times. I love it! So funny when Bishop went back in time and forgot why he was back there. 

Not sure how Cap's WW gross was a surprise. Didn't IM3 receive a similar bump?

I hope you are kidding. It's because it has Captain America in it's name, and America is supposed to be the most hated country in the world right now. People were expecting low OS numbers because of that notion. Not to mention, CA himself is not as ignited as Tony Stark is as a character. A goody tushu who takes pride in the star spangler outfit was never supposed to be some break out hit OS.

• Like 2