kayumanggi

BIG HERO 6 | 435.3 M overseas | 657.8 M worldwide

I just realized, with how bad exchange rates have been going since 2013, in local currency, I think Big Hero 6 could actually be the highest grossing animated film of all time in Indonesia, beating Despicable Me 2. Unfortunately, we don't have the numbers.

Congratulations to Big Hero 6 on passing the $500 million mark!  Let's hope it can get to $600 million or even $700.  The latter, however, will only happen if it does IMMENSELY well in both France and China.

China - $75 - 85 or the OPTIMISTIC 100 million (Hope the $100 million prediction comes true)

France - $28 - 34 million

Japan - $5 - 7 million (Cumulative around $76 million)

United Kingdom - $28 million (Cumulative around $35 million) 

= $136 - 169 million 

This would put it at $636.5 - 669.5 million.  However, this is just an IMMENSELY rough estimation as thus, I don't believe it will peak at just $660 million if France and China ADORE this film.  You never know, when a film peaks domestically, it still has a lot of room in the international markets. 

I hope you're right about China, but I doubt it can make a third of what you predicted.Pirated copies everywhere will hurt it badly.

I think the general idea is that if Frozen could gross nearly $50M in China, then Big Hero 6 could potentially gross $75-100M. Even though it was released in China in early February last year, wasn't Frozen already widely pirated by then?

I think the general idea is that if Frozen could gross nearly $50M in China, then Big Hero 6 could potentially gross $75-100M. Even though it was released in China in early February last year, wasn't Frozen already widely pirated by then?

Whose general idea?HTTYD2 can't make more than 70M, why would a non-sequel make that big numbers?

And Frozen wasn't affected that much by piracy because blu ray hadn't leaked when it opened here while when BH6 debuts the blu-ray will have been out for a month.

The drop is close to -40% from last weekend, even with supposed strong holds from UK, Germany and Japan.

I must say I'm disappointed by the movie's overall performance. With the exception of Japan and a few minor markets, everything else was perfectly average.

Whose general idea?

A number of us were thinking earlier on that the Chinese audience would generally find a movie like Big Hero 6 more appealing than a movie like Frozen. If this isn't true, then do tell.

HTTYD2 can't make more than 70M, why would a non-sequel make that big numbers?

That's a good question, and should cast some doubt. On the other hand, maybe being Asian-themed in some ways would help out.

And Frozen wasn't affected that much by piracy because blu ray hadn't leaked when it opened here while when BH6 debuts the blu-ray will have been out for a month.

Does it need to be in HD? Although I don't keep track of these things because I never download them, I'm pretty sure that there were lower but acceptable quality downloads available for Frozen well before February.

Frozen was a phenomenon,

Frozen wasn't a phenomenon in China and many other markets. Where it was a phenomenon it was so huge that this more than made up for performance in a number of territories that even other animation studios, for example, would consider middling or lackluster.

BH6 won't be.

Nobody said that it would be, to my recollection, with the possible exception of Japan, where it is performing very well indeed, at least.

Edited by Melvin Frohike