Impact

Top 10 of 2015 predictions

I don't think the (stigma) from the prequels will effect this much at all, there has been a huge gap and they weren't disliked by the public. Curiosity for this will be huge. TASM did pretty well considering its short 5 year gap coming off a poorly received installment and pointlessly rebooting the entire story. Personally I think 500m is the floor, it's going to be epic tracking a Juggernaut like this with Christmas holiday, it's first 7 day week could be record breaking.

Edited by jessie

I don't really see how that's relevant though. But whatevs.

The time gaps are smaller. For James Bond, for MCU, for Hunger Games. Hence, Star Wars is more yesteryear.Remember we had some thinking STID would outdo IM3 at the box office? The previous Star Trek movie was 4 years prior, the previous IM movie was three years prior, and the previous IM appearance was in TA one year prior. Iron Man was more fresh in people's minds hence people took more notice of that over Star Trek.

The time gaps are smaller. For James Bond, for MCU, for Hunger Games. Hence, Star Wars is more yesteryear.Remember we had some thinking STID would outdo IM3 at the box office? The previous Star Trek movie was 4 years prior, the previous IM movie was three years prior, and the previous IM appearance was in TA one year prior. Iron Man was more fresh in people's minds hence people took more notice of that over Star Trek.

Star Trek isn't as popular as Star Wars though, and Star Wars is WAY more popular with the general audience.

If box office is an evaluation of quality than Revenge of the Fallen is a masterpiece, nobody wants to live in a world where that's a good movie, so no box office never equals quality ever. It just means you got butts in seats and if it had good WoM that means there was something in the initial run that managed to keep those butts in the seats.For overall objective quality id say find the average from RT critics, top critics, audience, imdb, Metacritic, Metacritic audience, Imdb, and then factor in awards. That's the closest thing you'll get to actual objective quality.

It is. There are few movies that beat it entertainment value wise and the GA pretty much agrees. In the end it made over 400M in the US without 3D. And the last two TF movies made over 1B WW. There are 2-3 franchises that are on the same level and that's it. RT critics? Be serious. They gave POTC:OST 33%, TMNT 20%, TF4 18%, Transcendence 19%. Freakin Planes and Step Up will finish above them :rofl:  . It's a freakin joke. They are so biased and Depp and Bay are just two examples. And on IMDB all TF movies got over 6 but that's just pointless to add. It's still the internet where some people seem to make the goal of their life from hating a movie. You call that objective? The thing is that box office is a good way to see the quality especially when we're talking a franchise because despite getting slammed by the critics and getting lower ratings than GotG for example which every 'critic' seems to love, TF or POTC or others will keep attracting the audience and make billions. Just give me a sign when people will actually give a fuck about what self proclaimed critics say.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

How do you know it *is* and not *was* more popular?

I freakin love Star Trek much more than SW but there is no comparison. SW is more popular.

But I see people here comparing SW to Titanic, Avatar or HP... Are you serious? Everyone of those things had smth very special about them: Titanic and Avatar felt like phenomenons. I don't know how it's like in the US, but here they have Titanic on TV on the same channel at least 5 times a year and every time facebook goes insane. It freakin established record after record last year with audiences. Avatar is not that popular, but I still see it 2-3 times a year. Same with HP and LOTR. As for SW I never, not even once, saw it on TV. The only thing SW related was the SW: Clone Wars animated series on CN. Also, HP on the other side had it's unbelievably loyal fanbase and that mentained it's grosses on huge levels, despite lacking 3D. SW already proved with the OT and the prequels that it lacks that steadiness. Will SW7 be huge? Definitely! But comparing with Avatar or Titanic or saying people don't still care about those things? That's ridiculous.
  • Like 2

I freakin love Star Trek much more than SW but there is no comparison. SW is more popular.

But I see people here comparing SW to Titanic, Avatar or HP... Are you serious? Everyone of those things had smth very special about them: Titanic and Avatar felt like phenomenons. I don't know how it's like in the US, but here they have Titanic on TV on the same channel at least 5 times a year and every time facebook goes insane. It freakin established record after record last year with audiences. Avatar is not that popular, but I still see it 2-3 times a year. Same with HP and LOTR. As for SW I never, not even once, saw it on TV. The only thing SW related was the SW: Clone Wars animated series on CN. Also, HP on the other side had it's unbelievably loyal fanbase and that mentained it's grosses on huge levels, despite lacking 3D. SW already proved with the OT and the prequels that it lacks that steadiness. Will SW7 be huge? Definitely! But comparing with Avatar or Titanic or saying people don't still care about those things? That's ridiculous.

That's because Spike has exclusive rights to the TV rights for the SW films. No one else can air them.

• Like 1

That's because Spike has exclusive rights to the TV rights for the SW films. No one else can air them.

But that's just borderline idiotic. Why wouldn't they want to make SW more popular OS where it's clearly not that big? Is Spike a thing in the US? It doesn't exist here.

• Like 1

But that's just borderline idiotic. Why wouldn't they want to make SW more popular OS where it's clearly not that big? Is Spike a thing in the US? It doesn't exist here.

Not sure how it works overseas but I know in America, that only Spike is allowed to air the SW films.

• Like 1

From my personal experience, I've heard some people say they don't care about an EP VII because liking the prequels less over time.

That's like transformers cartoon fans lining up to Bayformers despite talking about how bad they are and not worth seeing.
  • Like 1

Not sure how it works overseas but I know in America, that only Spike is allowed to air the SW films.

I'm thinking Disney might go and change that. But I can't believe some people are really questioning if Star Wars is as big as Harry Potter or Titanic like it wasn't a phenomenon.Star Wars was the phenomenon to end all phenomenons, Titanic's run was phenomenal, but even Titanic has nothing on Star Wars.
  • Like 1

I'm thinking Disney might go and change that. But I can't believe some people are really questioning if Star Wars is as big as Harry Potter or Titanic like it wasn't a phenomenon.Star Wars was the phenomenon to end all phenomenons, Titanic's run was phenomenal, but even Titanic has nothing on Star Wars.

So in 2015, we're going to travel back in 1977? You really think SW7 can match ANH's phenomenon and obliterate both Titanic and Avatar like nothing happened in between?

If TPM couldn't with 22 years of on-going genuine anticipation without any blemishes on popular memory, I don't see how SW7 can when last SW was just 10 years ago and you got a handful of billion dollars properties that became top dogs IP's alongside SW so it became one big property among all and not the absolute Number One on top of them all anymore like in the 80/90.

Edited by dashrendar44

OK, I can't speak for the US since I don't live there. But comparing SW to HP or Titanic OS is just silly. Maybe the OT adjust over it but the prequels clearly showed that there is no comparison between the two OS. OS it just lost momentum. POA, released in 2004 and the lowest grossing Potter OS made what TPM  made after it's 3D re-release in 2012. All Potter movies except POA made over 600M OS without 3D and big grosses from China. The last one made 960M. You can't possibly expect SW7 to come close to that.