Impact

Top 10 of 2015 predictions

Anyway, I don't even know if Star Wars 7 box office is that important to Bob Iger & Disney.

Dem toys, Disney bought the biggest film brand when it comes to merchandising.

Lucas didn't become filthy fucking rich because of the Star Wars films, he became that rich because Fox abandonned 100% of all licensing rights from the films.

Lucas said it himself and recognized it : I am a toy seller. He knows he became the Empire.

• Like 1

hey, first post :) hello everybody from barcelona (note: not perfect english :))

It's hard to predict without any trailer who can win 2015, Avengers or Star Wars, i dont think Disney itself cares too much. 

1. Star Wars Episode VII - 745

If Phantom Menace did 736 adjusted and although there's no the expectation to be the first comeback for the saga like in 99 i guess we all easy see Episode 7 been better than Episode 1. With X-Mas, good legs and Disney marketing machine this could go massive. 

2. Avengers: Age of Ultron - 685

Everything in this movie seems in pace to break all fucking records but how higher cant do this franchise go? Avengers never was Avatar, Titanic or Jurassic Park in a matter of pop culture, so its hard to imagine doing a big jump to the 750-800. And maybe the darkest tone will make it less for kids, dont know... 

3. Mocking Jay Part II - 450

4. Jurassic World - 390

I really hope this can capture half of the soul it has the first one and come on, everybody is always ready for a great ride with dinosaurs and Chris Pratt. With the insane saturation in comic book movies and direct sequels this is almost seen as an original movie. IMO its going to be HUGE overseas. 

5. Inside Out - 350

6. The Good Dinosaur - 330

7. Minions - 315

8. Fast 7 - 310

9. Bond 24 - 280

10. Ant-Man - 270

Open this after Ultron destroying box office in early summer may be the best idea Marvel has had ever. With ant-man in some sort of cameo in Avengers, post credit scene or just ala Guardians (its clear now that public knows the brand and the universe) this could do great. People is tired of sequels and reebots, this is an "original" movie and despite all production problems looks promising to me. 

Why would AOU jump all the way up to 800M? Of the movies you listed only JP had a sequel and it went down considerably. Very optimistic on JPW. Inflation doesn't translate like that. What is your OW on VII?

Everything else looks solid.

well i mean we're predicting mj2 without seeing mj1's run so everyone is in the blind, i'm just being optimistic. avengers 2 is coming right up though, and has no new characters with their own movies (aka gotg's success has no effect imo, plus i think it broke out on its own accord, not because of marvel brand) and the first avengers broke out, meaning it reached a bigger audience than it should have, right? that was because it was the first of its kind coupled with great reviews. but aou has nothing extra going for it now, so i'm sticking with a still-excellent 530m for a "regular" big blockbuster without anything special. i also don't think aou will go up in ow either, for the same reason: less event factor, not a break out. what clubs are these?

You know you don't have to predict MJII, right? Broke out without the Marvel name I don't think so. Nothing extra? Have you been following the movie at all? Check the AOU thread first post (3 of them).

Bet: O/U 530M and over 210M OW? 

Titanic was and will always be the only true four quadrant movie.It appealed to every gender, age etc

I doubt very many kids under the age of 10 cared about Titanic (little boys especially). And most guys went to see it because Leo dies (it was before he consistently made great movies - Gilbert Grape was the only good one in his resume then) and to get laid. Not completely universal appeal. It airs on Lifetime for a reason ;) Titanic is indeed vanilla - same with Avatar. Neither are particularly good especially compared to other mega blockbusters. Terminator 1 & 2 and Aliens are leaps and bounds above Cameron's two biggest. They just hit all of the right buttons. Doesn't make them high quality in the way Star Wars 1, Gone With the Wind, E.T., Sound of Music, etc. are.I'd say classic all ages movies (G and PG) are the only truly universal appeal films. Avatar and Titanic are fairly harsh PG-13 (language, etc) films - they don't scream kids movie to me.
  • Like 2

I doubt very many kids under the age of 10 cared about Titanic (little boys especially).

I was under 10 and I was a male (still am). I went to see it. With my father. Everyone in my elementary class saw Titanic, indeed everyone in my elementary school (yes, boys included). Completely universal appeal if any movie ever had it. It doesn't sound like you were around in 1997/8.
  • Like 3

Titanic was popular with kids somewhat... 

I was what 8 years old when it came out? 

The disaster scenes were truly epic for any guy and a certain scene was a huge note of curiosity and scandal at the time. :P

Also everyone in Canada was singing "My heart will go on" for about a year. 

• Like 3

I doubt very many kids under the age of 10 cared about Titanic (little boys especially). And most guys went to see it because Leo dies (it was before he consistently made great movies - Gilbert Grape was the only good one in his resume then) and to get laid. Not completely universal appeal. It airs on Lifetime for a reason ;)Titanic is indeed vanilla - same with Avatar.Neither are particularly good especially compared to other mega blockbusters. Terminator 1 & 2 and Aliens are leaps and bounds above Cameron's two biggest. They just hit all of the right buttons. Doesn't make them high quality in the way Star Wars 1, Gone With the Wind, E.T., Sound of Music, etc. are.I'd say classic all ages movies (G and PG) are the only truly universal appeal films. Avatar and Titanic are fairly harsh PG-13 (language, etc) films - they don't scream kids movie to me.

I honestly think that Titanic is a genuinely good movie. While it may not be my favourite Cameron movie, in my mind it's the "best" (if that makes sense... favourite vs best...).

• Like 1

Titanic was and will always be the only true four quadrant movie.

It appealed to every gender, age etc

That's not true at all. There have been several "true four quadrant" movies at the box office. Titanic is merely the biggest in its initial run, but not the only.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

1. Avengers: Age of Ultron - $540 mln

2. Star Wars: Episode VII - $500 mln

3. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 - $420 mln

4. Minions - $305 mln

5. Fast & Frious 7 - $280 mln

6. Bond 24 - $270 mln

7. Jurassic World - $265 mln

8. Ant-Man - $225 mln

9. Fifty Shades of Grey - $220 mln

10. Ted 2 - $205 mln