Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

Well, Hobbits & Mockingjay will blast past $300M easily but this summer season is cursed. The curse of the $200M Grossers. $200M over here. $200M over there. $200M everywhere....Over here, over there, everywhere....

I'm pretty sure Hobbit won't.
  • Like 1

Well, Hobbits & Mockingjay will blast past $300M easily but this summer season is cursed. The curse of the $200M Grossers. $200M over here. $200M over there. $200M everywhere....

Over here, over there, everywhere....

The Hobbit will be lucky to get fudged into 300M. I doubt it will blast past the mark.

Edited by CJohn

Ah, not a good start for AMETDITW.Comedies are so far the only genre to not do well in wide release this summer. And Baseball movies lol.

Neighbors seems to be doing just fine.

i agree

last time that happened was 2000 and the Grinch's $260m adjust to $384m nowadays

edit: THG will surely make it past $400m, but no $1b WW movie this year

Both TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION and THE HOBBIT: TBOTFA are candidates for 1 B.

I wonder if Mockingjay can get to 400m even. The part 1s usually don't perform as well.

Hunger Games doesn't really follow trends or patterns so $400 million for Mockingjay is certainly possible considering HTTYD2 may be the only $300 million grosser this summer (Transformers 4 might as well) 

Maybe this is just a down year and people will just go to the movies less for no immediately explicable reason. Every film gets hit. 2005 was like that (but I also think it was a much stronger year than some might give it credit for) and so was 2011 (just weak).

The year is ahead of 2013 during the same period.

And losing ground very quickly. At the end of April it was 9.1% ahead, now 1.9%.

June should make us go below 2013 and if it somehow keeps above it,  I am almost sure we will be below 2013 at the end of the Summer.

Edited by CJohn

The Hobbit will be lucky to get fudged into 300M. I doubt it will blast past the mark.

It's the conclusion of the trilogy so fans will be there. It's also the most action-packed among the three. Not saying it's a lock for 300 M, but I see the possibility.