Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

Mr. Pink got his wish.

Yeah I was hoping Saturday would be a little better than usual considering how meh Friday was and it looks like things corrected itself a bit. Happy.

• Like 4

Nice Sat increase for DOFP, but hard to be excited with the cruddy Friday number.

Terrible Sat jump for Maleficent based on the kind of film it is. Should have had a big Sat increase, even with Thursdays. Poor WOM already kicking in?

• Like 1

Is it too late to discuss DOFP?I loved it. Best CBM since Avengers, maybe since TDK.and I say that as some who really enjoyed Cap 2.My anticipation for Apocalypse has gone through the roof but at the end of the day I'm just grateful we've gotten a great DOFP movie.(And I'm one those people who thought Quicksilver looked stupid. Crow never tasted this good)

• Like 6

Nice Sat increase for DOFP, but hard to be excited with the cruddy Friday number.

Terrible Sat jump for Maleficent based on the kind of film it is. Should have had a big Sat increase, even with Thursdays. Poor WOM already kicking in?

Nah, even Madagascar 3 only jumped 9% in the middle of June.

Nah, even Madagascar 3 only jumped 9% in the middle of June.

Middle of June and end of May are a big difference because a huge chunk of schools still aren't out yet. Opposed to mid June when all schools are out. Maleficent is a PG Disney film that opened during a school month. It should have had a huge Sat bump.

A 35% decrease for DOFP tomorrow (high end for drops) will give it a weekend of 32.5 and actually avoid a 65% weekend drop from an inflated Memorial Day weekend.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

(And I'm one those people who thought Quicksilver looked stupid. Crow never tasted this good)

Everybody loving Quicksilver has to count as one of the biggest movie surprises of the year.

• Like 3

Middle of June and end of May are a big difference because a huge chunk of schools still aren't out yet. Opposed to mid June when all schools are out. Maleficent is a PG Disney film that opened during a school month. It should have had a huge Sat bump.

UP only jumped 22% at the end of May. This Maleficent jump is perfectly fine given that is darker than UP and the bigger midnights.

• Like 1

still will be in a struggle to reach 200m

It will only be 1.5M ahead of TASM2 at the same point in their release cycle by the end of the weekend, will most likely fall behind by Wednesday or Thursday. The question is whether WB will drag it past the 200M mark or not. Lots of new releases coming and screen space will be a major issue. Edited by grim22

It will only be 1.5M ahead of TASM2 by the end of the weekend, will most likely fall behind by Wednesday or Thursday. The question is whether WB will drag it past the 200M mark or not. Lots of new releases coming and screen space will be a major issue.

I think WB will do their best to see it get to 200M. Well, at least I hope they do. 

Not.

If you want to understand what caused the crash it's best to turn off the talking mouths and read one of the 100s of expert analysts on what caused it:

Here is one of them.

http://www.stlouisfed.org/banking/pdf/SPA/SPA_2007_05.pdf

Yeah, yeah... morgage crisis. The problem is more fundamental than that. 

Nouriel Roubini and Joseph Stiglitz are talking mouths? I never knew.  ;)

At this rate the top grossing movies of May will look something like this:

210m - TASM/DOFP/Maleficent/Godzilla

208m - TASM/DOFP/Maleficent/Godzilla

206m - TASM/DOFP/Maleficent/Godzilla

204m - TASM/DOFP/Maleficent/Godzilla

Nah, it will be DOFP, TASM2, Godzilla/Maleficent. Not sure about Maleficent's legs yet, even with a 68M opening it may end up like Godzilla and miss 150, or sprout legs and get to 180-200M.

• Like 1

It will only be 1.5M ahead of TASM2 at the same point in their release cycle by the end of the weekend, will most likely fall behind by Wednesday or Thursday. The question is whether WB will drag it past the 200M mark or not. Lots of new releases coming and screen space will be a major issue.

hmm part of a upcoming  double feature would do it :)

• Like 1