Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

It had better be good because Phase 2 has been disappointing IMO. IM3 and Thor 2 were mediocre and CA2 was fine, but not particularly exciting. 

Ironic because CA2 looked like the worst of the bunch on paper. 

On the other hand, IM 3 & THOR 2 are mediocre but CAP2 is a very efficient action thriller, rooted in reality. By the time, the writer of IM3 rolls out villains that breathe fire & glow in the dark, and a seriously lame Mandarin, I was really considering returning my ticket. RDJ, the Iron Man tech, some of the fight scenes are pretty cool & of the same high standard as the best from Marvel Studios. But those other elements I mentioned are just tacked-on, kid-friendly, PC-level BS. I can't stand it.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1

Nice Sat increase for DOFP, but hard to be excited with the cruddy Friday number.

Terrible Sat jump for Maleficent based on the kind of film it is. Should have had a big Sat increase, even with Thursdays. Poor WOM already kicking in?

25% increase from Friday is not bad (you have to subtract the Thursday money first)

Snow White only increased 10%

http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=futurepastvs.htm

Following that page should be fun.

At this moment, X3 is 12m ahead, but DOFP has been getting WAY better WOM and reviews. DOFP should have better legs. I hope DOFP can at least match X3's final 234m DOM gross. What DOFP is doing much better at is OS, and it will easily end up being the highest grossing X movie worldwide! :D

baumer put more thought into those two sentences than anyone who worked on the movie did about blended.

None of u have seen it. Its really a sweet movie.
  • Like 1

Putting aside my Nolan fandom for a second, I'd say the ferry sequence is probably my least favorite of the trilogy by a wide margin. But it's still more interesting than 90% of scenes in other summer blockbusters.

I honestly thought Nolans were too busy on other parts so they gave that part to Goyer lolIt was bad, but yeah it's better than bunch of stuff out there.

Friend of mine is convinced Malficent is locked for 200M.

Yeah well given the past trend of this summer big openers, Maleficent could collapse over -60% next weekend and destroy this films chances of even reaching 175M.