Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

Was there really a holiday boost though? Numbers were down across the board. What would have X-Men opened up to on a non holiday? $80M?

Look at the Sunday drops. All of them were in the 10-15% range. On a non holiday those drops are closer to 30-35%.
  • Like 2

Amazingly this locks up Cap 2 for top 5 domestic of the year. It's only 3.5M away from surpassing original's multiplier. In a day and age when movies are getting crazy frontloaded, that's amazing to see.  :D

• Like 7

He was arrogant to think he could make a hit western comedy in today's world.

How does that make him arrogant? he wanted to make a western comedy that isn't doing well so far, its good opening for a western.
  • Like 1

I'll only say this once more for all of you butt hurt Godzilla so called loonies. 

I'm not a box office prognostication Guru like some of the really good ones here, but even I called for a 63-65% drop this weekend (go back to last weekends thread if you don't believe me) for X-men simply because it's a notoriously front loaded franchise and the holiday weekend inflates the numbers.  Sunday fell about 10%.  A normal opening Sunday is supposed to fall by about 25-35%.  So it falling to about 33 mill this weekend is exactly the range it was expected to fall.

Godzilla would have fallen 69-70% if last weekend wasn't a holiday weekend.  As it stands, for it to fall 66% on an inflated weekend is where the jokes are coming from.  And if it falls close to 65% again this weekend, then there's no more defending it.  To drop north of 60% on two consecutive weekends means that A) the WOM is not good or B) there's a massive loonie base out there for the film that no one knew about, and all of them went out the first weekend, subsequent weekends are relying strictly on repeat viewings.

I'll go with A and a tiny bit of B.

So guys like BKB and all his other minions can laugh if you want to.  If it makes you feel better about Godzilla's giant drops, then laugh it up.  But the reality is the WOM on this film, at least from my vantage point, has absolutely killed it.

Carry on.

Who is defending Godzilla's numbers? Certainly not me, it's having awful drops. I'm merely trying to prove a point that people bang on Godzilla's drop but when X-Men has a similar drop it's all of a sudden expected. That's kind of ridiculous.

Who is defending Godzilla's numbers? Certainly not me, it's having awful drops. I'm merely trying to prove a point that people bang on Godzilla's drop but when X-Men has a similar drop it's all of a sudden expected. That's kind of ridiculous.

Do you see your name anywhere in that post?

And X-men's drops are expected because it came off an inflated weekend.  Or did you not read the whole post?

This is what I posted last Sunday:

baumer, on 25 May 2014 - 6:39 PM, said:Posted Image

Even if it were to fall 65%, it';s not abnormal.  Sunday was inflated so it's naturally going to fall quite hard next weekend.  I don't think it will fall that much but 62-63% is probably where it will land.  

No offense to the OP, but X-men falling 65% off an inflated weekend doesn't excuse Godzilla falling 66% ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND. :P

Posted last Sunday.  

• Like 1

To be fair last weekend had rush factor + Sunday inflated by MD holiday, if DOFP drops another 60% next weekend you would have a valid argument. 

• Like 3

Do you see your name anywhere in that post?

And X-men's drops are expected because it came off an inflated weekend.  Or did you not read the whole post?

Did X-Men really perform that great though? I would have hated to see what it would have done on a normal weekend.

Well, despite wom, nearly all the x-men films have fallen harshly their second weekends and end up barely scraping by a 2X in the long run. That's why we say it's expected, because it's just following the historical pattern set y the franchise. Sure, with how awesome the movie was, some of us hoped it would buck the trend, but oh well.
  • Like 2

Did X-Men really perform that great though? I would have hated to see what it would have done on a normal weekend.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

What does great or poor have anything to do with it?  X-men could have grossed 65 million dollars last weekend and it would still fall by 62-65%.

• Like 1

Amazingly this locks up Cap 2 for top 5 domestic of the year. It's only 3.5M away from surpassing original's multiplier. In a day and age when movies are getting crazy frontloaded, that's amazing to see.  :D

Hail Hydra!
  • Like 1

For any X-Men aficionados, new or old,  Amazon currently has a box set of the first 7 on Blu-Ray for about $37.  Or the same price Disney tried to get me to pay for The Avengers. :angry:

I actualy bought the same set when the wolverine was released at Walmart for $29... Blew my mind how cheap it was.