Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

In my opinion, HtTYD2 is disappointing because everyone has been expecting it to earn at least $300M at the North American BO. Now even reaching $250M looks like a stretch. I just find it inexplicable. No animated film has been released for two months (please don't mention Dorothy), the first Dragon film was highly acclaimed by critics and audiences, the trailers and screenings have been very positive, yet it fails to open above Madagascar 3? What? How can this be? But I don't like DWA as a whole so I am slightly satisfied with this outcome. It's not like they deserve any better because they manage to make ONE good movie every 5 years.

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 1

I wish HTTYD2 was a crappy film. But no. This is happening to THE BEST film I've seen all year. What a shame.

I liked X-Men and LEGO more, it's about third for me though (I'm not sure if I liked it, Fault, Godzilla, or Grand Budapest more they were all about on par for me (A- for each) Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

Is Angelina Jolie really that powerful?  One would figure that 3 weekends would be enough of a break between the movies.  I knew that Mal would have good legs b/c of her and Disney's brand, but could she really be killing Dragon all this much?  The only other option would be to wait to release Dragon until August and hope it pulls a Bourne Ultimatum with great legs.  WTF! I am pissed now!

Edited by Ando81
  • Like 1

In my opinion, HtTYD2 is disappointing because everyone has been expecting it to earn at least $300M at the North American BO. Now even reaching $250M looks like a stretch. I just find it inexplicable. No animated film has been released for two months (please don't mention Dorothy), the first one was highly acclaimed by critics and audiences, the trailers and screenings have been very positive, yet it fails to open above Madagascar 3? What? How can this be? But I don't like DWA as a whole so I am slightly satisfied with this outcome. It's not like they deserve any better because they manage to make ONE good movie every 5 years.

It's KFP2 all over again! :ph34r:

• Like 1

It's KFP2 all over again! :ph34r:

KFP2 went from 60m to 47m(53 including Thu) and going from 2D to 3D. This ones at least increasing over the previous one.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

In my opinion, HtTYD2 is disappointing because everyone has been expecting it to earn at least $300M at the North American BO. Now even reaching $250M looks like a stretch. I just find it inexplicable. No animated film has been released for two months (please don't mention Dorothy), the first Dragon film was highly acclaimed by critics and audiences, the trailers and screenings have been very positive, yet it fails to open above Madagascar 3? What? How can this be? But I don't like DWA as a whole so I am slightly satisfied with this outcome. It's not like they deserve any better because they manage to make ONE good movie every 5 years.

true this.But 250m ? At this point ? It would struggle to 200m if the OW really is just 50m or slightly above.
  • Like 3

The funny thing is that now, even with a $450M total outside North America, HtTYD2 may still end up below Cap 2, making the latter the biggest film of the year worldwide so far (Transformers will most likely change this of course, and I say most likely because I too was expecting Dragon 2 to be way bigger than this and reach at least $850M worldwide, but it turns out dramatic things are happening very frequently)

• Like 1

Is Angelina Jolie really that powerful?  One would figure that 3 weekends would be enough of a break between the movies.  I knew that Mal would have good legs b/c of her and Disney's brand, but could she really be killing Dragon all this much?  The only other option would be to wait to release Dragon until August and hope it pulls a Bourne Ultimatum with great legs.  WTF! I am pissed now!

It's not Mal that is killing Dragon 2. It's just some people (myself included) overestimated it's potential while in reality the audiences are not too excited about it.

• Like 1

Because studios officially release the real budgets for their tentpoles all the time...

When I did say that studios release official budgets? Only they know what the actual budget is, whether they reveal it, is up to them. Sometimes they'll lower budgets just to make certain movies not look like huge disasters.

• Like 1