BadAtGender

Tues# TF4 10.41, HTTYD2 2.61, 22JS 2.28, Malef 1.57, TLAM2 1.17 | Full numbers Page 1

So I saw TF4 again last night.

You know what, it didn't seem anywhere near as stupid the second time. (Perhaps I was more prepared for the specific plot points this time.) It's actually a pretty entertaining movie.

• Like 1

Nothing controversial about stating facts. Tangled, Dragon 1, Wreck-It Ralph, Rango and Coraline are also better than Frozen, off the top of my head. Frozen is good too though! 

lol.  No.  None of those movies come close to Frozen.   It's box office run has been unbelievable, the best run since Avengers, and the best run for an original movie since Avatar. With respect to that sorry list of movies you posted, Frozen punched all those movies in the mouth and walked right on past them.  lol.

• Like 2

So I saw TF4 again last night.

You know what, it didn't seem anywhere near as stupid the second time. (Perhaps I was more prepared for the specific plot points this time.) It's actually a pretty entertaining movie.

Time to read that FC Hulk discussion. :lol:

• Like 1

It's certainly not a great film, and probably not even a good one. But it falls pretty comfortably into the general mish-mash of "mediocre, OK blockbuster" -- a few nice things, a few cool moments, a whole bunch of silliness and/or not-well-thought-out script issues... business as usual.

I'm honestly surprised that people get that riled up about it.

Well, there was the fact it was the best reviewed summer film of 2013 or something.

I don't think Lindelof was involved with STID (though I may be wrong). What I remember is a relatively recent piece by Devin Faraci (of all people); he wrote it up when Orci was announced as director, and it was a surprisingly positive article (given that Faraci hates Orci's guts and thinks he's a lunatic asshole). Basically, Faraci said he'd heard through his sources that one of the reasons Orci & Kurtzman get so many plum projects is because they're entirely willing to incorporate any and all notes that the director and/or studio want, whether or not it truly works for the project. So the higher-ups feel like they're getting the attention, they like that their creative inputs are being accepted, and Orci/Kurtzman bend over backwards trying to fit all this shit into whatever movie it is.

Faraci mentioned specifically that Abrams wanted Khan (Orci, a more traditional ST fan, was pushing for Gary Mitchell, which honestly would've been much cooler), and in TASM, apparently the Orci/Kurtzman concepts for the PP parents backstory tied more coherently into their story and actually dovetailed into a "great power/great responsibility" moment.

So Faraci -- giving Orci the benefit of the doubt -- was saying that since he's now the director, and has more clout, it's possible that [a] his story ideas may get through this time, and might be better for the movie. Of course, his directing ability is a complete unknown.

Okay, fair enough point. Lindelof is one of the credited screenwriters on STID, though.

And I'd agree. Gary Mitchell would have been so much better than Khan. Although it still wouldn't have fixed the plotting issues.

I'm willing to give Orci the benefit of the doubt. He and Kurtzman do very well on the fun meter. Sleepy Hollow is pretty terrific, after all.

• Like 1

lol.  No.  None of those movies come close to Frozen.   It's box office run has been unbelievable, the best run since Avengers, and the best run for an original movie since Avatar. With respect to that sorry list of movies you posted, Frozen punched all those movies in the mouth and walked right on past them.  lol.

Box-office? Sure. Quality? Really depends on the viewer. I liked CORALINE more than FROZEN, for example.

• Like 1

Well, there was the fact it was the best reviewed summer film of 2013 or something.*

Okay, fair enough point. Lindelof is one of the credited screenwriters on STID, though.

And I'd agree. Gary Mitchell would have been so much better than Khan. Although it still wouldn't have fixed the plotting issues.

I'm willing to give Orci the benefit of the doubt. He and Kurtzman do very well on the fun meter. Sleepy Hollow is pretty terrific, after all.**

* But doesn't that basically mean it got the greatest majority of critics who gave it at least a lukewarm thumbs up? That's what RT means, at the end of the day.

** Yeesh. Um, no. (Aside from visually.)

• Like 1

After Maleficent slays in Japan, then I will take 2 weeks off to give BOF a break, and then UNBROKEN stanning gets pushed into high gear.

I'm saying early to mid-August.

Sound like a plan! Busy schedule for Ang fans this year, finally! :D

• Like 3

After Maleficent slays in Japan, then I will take 2 weeks off to give BOF a break, and then UNBROKEN stanning gets pushed into high gear.

I'm saying early to mid-August.

Looking forward to joining you! Still shocked Uni hired her to direct such an important, acclaimed and massive best-seller. 

Posted Image

• Like 4

I always hear Trekkers(kies) talk about Gary Mitchell.  Was he that big a villain.  I mean it sounds like your dad's accountant.

Gary Mitchell only showed up in one episode (in fact, it was the first episode filmed after the original pilot). The concept is a bit fantastical, but basically, he was Kirk's best friend... someone who came up through the Academy with him, and was a bridge officer on the Enterprise.

The Enterprise travelled to the edge of the galaxy and hit an odd energy barrier that blasted the ship and zapped Mitchell and one other officer (Dr. Elizabeth Dehner). They developed superpowers and essentially became as powerful as gods... but began losing their humanity as well. Kirk ended up having to face off against Mitchell and had to find a way to kill his best friend to save the Enterprise.

• Like 1