Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

How long can you say this "slump" has been going so far? Since mid-July at the very earliest, I think. Kinda presumptuous to think it could possibly be the status quo for another full year.

I'd say mid-May.And as for the topic, no.

There's always going to be some films that make a bucket-load of money, but I do believe the general trend is more likely than not to continue. Next summer looks boring anyway.

:wacko:

I don't understand that kind of feelings...

4 months.

16 weeks.

So many movies already setted.

So many genres ready to fight.

Just the return of Superman (with all the pressure due to the 06 false start) is exciting enough to not label this future summer boring.

I mean, did we already see a franchise being dormant for almost 2 decades, having a "weak" return then trying again less than a decade after?

One of the things I really hate about box office tracking is knowing what's going to come out in years to come. I'd much rather be surprised. I wish studios didn't release any information on anything until no more than three months before the movie comes out.

I can see Star Trek 2 doing $400m, basically following in the footsteps of DMC and Transformers 2. But that'd be it - even with all the goodwill from TA, I'd be shocked if IM3 went over 375. Can't see any other movies making more than 350.

Can't see this happening, really.

Are kids really into StarTrek?

Did Trek really touch the "phenom thing" that Pirates or Transformers crushed?

One of the things I really hate about box office tracking is knowing what's going to come out in years to come. I'd much rather be surprised. I wish studios didn't release any information on anything until no more than three months before the movie comes out.

God!

What would happen to all these clubs/bets?

lol

:wacko:I don't understand that kind of feelings...4 months.16 weeks.So many movies already setted.So many genres ready to fight.Just the return of Superman (with all the pressure due to the 06 false start) is exciting enough to not label this future summer boring.I mean, did we already see a franchise being dormant for almost 2 decades, having a "weak" return then trying again less than a decade after?

Planet Of The Apes?

That way it would be a scheduling nightmare between studios.

Can't see this happening, really.Are kids really into StarTrek?Did Trek really touch the "phenom thing" that Pirates or Transformers crushed?

Well, I'm just basing it on the fact that the previous movie made $257m and had by far the best WOM for a summer 2009 blockbuster (if you don't count The Hangover). So its gross falls right in between Batman Begins and POTC / Transformers (which all had their follow-ups cross 400) and it had the same WOM as all three those films. Star Trek 2, if done right, could definitely be THE blockbuster of summer 2013, it's got Abrams back in director's chair, it's got Cumberbatch as a potentially great villain, and if Paramount hypes it up, I can see a 150/400 run happening. Obviously things could go wrong and we have no idea of the film's quality, but I think that if any movie had the most potential to break $400m next summer, it's this one.

Release dates/bit of infos lot in advance is so good...

I can only imagine the mind of the StarWars fan in 97 when Menace filming started.

Release setted for 99 with 3 years gap between each movie.

So...2005 for finale!

Like, 2000 was already synonym of "Future" but the last SW movie would be 5 years ahead of that?

I'm so excited/in a hurry to know what will open summerseason in 2016!

(don't tell me TASM3 please)