BK007

So who remembers Norbit? And the black hole of bad movies

Came across the title on a "worst movies" thread.

Now, apparently, I have even seen this movie and given it an F.

Back in 2007, where I seemed to watch anything...I honestly don't know why I would have seen it otherwise. Didn't pay for it, mind you, just with my time. :(

But, as much as I may have hated it then, I don't remember a single thing about it. The storyline or what it was supposed to be about, the only memory I have is really, really bad make up, so bad it makes me cringe thinking about it. Ew.

Yet, this movie made $95m and adjusts to $110m.

I guess this could be the perfect example of a movie succeeding at the box office, for whatever dumb reason it did, and then just catching a one way ticket to oblivion. I'm pretty sure it must have awful reviews and audience reaction, so even more years from now, why would anyone even bother to release it again on home video/DVD/anywhere? Seems like a movie that deserves to fall through the cracks as though it never existed. I suppose it already has?

Of course even mediocre, even good movies become forgotten, but besides initial BO, a bad movie's lifespan is deservedly shorter, so much so, you wonder why they even bothered to make them? If you're not Norbit, you could be Vampire Academy or Delgo and have no money at initial BO too.

I don't think it's a case of, execution screwing up, but from the get-go greenlight, these movies are just terrible.

And before we start bashing shit like Transformers or whatever, those movies still do very well and are still popular.

This thread is for movies that made a lot, but are pretty much like they never existed anymore.

Does Wild Hogs count? From the same year, had a phenomenal run, but like, who even cares about it?

The funniest things about Norbit and (also mentioned in the first post) Wild Hogs: If they were made today with the same actors, they likely wouldn't even make a fraction of what they did. All of their careers are basically in the gutter these days.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

The funniest things about Norbit and (also mentioned in the first post) Wild Hogs: If they were made today with the same actors, they likely wouldn't even make a fraction of what they did. All of their careers are basically in the gutter these days.

Yeah but if it wasn't for THESE movies then they're careers wouldn't be in the gutter.

• Like 3

Yeah but if it wasn't for THESE movies then they're careers wouldn't be in the gutter.

Eh, maybe, maybe not. At least these movies did well financially and kept them at least somewhat relevant. Now they have completely faded into obscurity except for Travolta, to an extent (he hardly appear in movies these days, and after becoming a laughing stock over the Idina Menzel name botching at the Oscars, another comeback does not appear to be happening even close to anytime soon).

• Like 1

The highest grossing example I can think of is Passion of the Christ.

It was a massive record-breaking event film on release, but I honestly couldn't tell you anything about it now (other than what I would have been able to tell you before seeing it because.. you know, bible) except that it was a hateful awful film.

• Like 1

Came across the title on a "worst movies" thread.

Now, apparently, I have even seen this movie and given it an F.

Back in 2007, where I seemed to watch anything...I honestly don't know why I would have seen it otherwise. Didn't pay for it, mind you, just with my time. :(

But, as much as I may have hated it then, I don't remember a single thing about it. The storyline or what it was supposed to be about, the only memory I have is really, really bad make up, so bad it makes me cringe thinking about it. Ew.

Yet, this movie made $95m and adjusts to $110m.

I guess this could be the perfect example of a movie succeeding at the box office, for whatever dumb reason it did, and then just catching a one way ticket to oblivion. I'm pretty sure it must have awful reviews and audience reaction, so even more years from now, why would anyone even bother to release it again on home video/DVD/anywhere? Seems like a movie that deserves to fall through the cracks as though it never existed. I suppose it already has?

Of course even mediocre, even good movies become forgotten, but besides initial BO, a bad movie's lifespan is deservedly shorter, so much so, you wonder why they even bothered to make them? If you're not Norbit, you could be Vampire Academy or Delgo and have no money at initial BO too.

I don't think it's a case of, execution screwing up, but from the get-go greenlight, these movies are just terrible.

I remember Norbit very well.  What Norbit had working for it was the fact that the optics for this movie are reminiscent of Nutty Professor (Murphy in a fat suit) which was highly successful.  

• Like 1