Shadow

Underrated Sequels/Prequels

Batman Returns (my favourite Batman film, i didn't know it got such a bad rep)

Terminator 3 (not in the same league as the first two but an incredibly enjoyable action film)

Predators (much better than i thought it would be, a fun B-movie better than the second)

Alien: Resurrection (easily better than the third not in the same level as the first two of course but i love a number of things in this semi-mess)

The Godfather Part III (ok not as brilliant as the other 2 and Sofia Coppolla is incredibly bad but still the final 30 minutes and Pacino's performance are top notch)

Clerks 2

I also kinda enjoy the second Tomb Raider and the last Universal Soldier is better and more interesting than most big budget action films.

This! This! 1000000X This! Better than the original imo.

I respectfully disagree. I also think that European Vacation is underrated, but I still think the original Vacation is superior. One of the funniest comedies of the 80s. Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Oh, I love European Vacation too, make no mistake. I just disagree that it's SUPERIOR to the first one.Oh, and speaking of underrated comedy sequels: Agreed on Clerks II - even if the movie is nowhere near as good as the first, the Lord of the Rings and "porch monkey" scenes are absolute gold.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

2 is entertaining enough to watch at least once, 3 is a bit of a bore though.

I didn't care much for POTC2, but I guess it is at least worth a 1 time watch & he may like it since a lot of people do.

Paul Newman did win the academy award for best actor for this.

Yes, but a lot of people still see it as very pale compared to The Hustler. I think up until a few years ago it only had a 6.6 on imdb. While I love both films I find Color to be more rewatchable and enjoy it more. 

• Like 1

Yes, but a lot of people still see it as very pale compared to The Hustler. I think up until a few years ago it only had a 6.6 on imdb. While I love both films I find Color to be more rewatchable and enjoy it more.

Really, wow. Didn't know that it had a somewhat mediocre score. I think it is a great movie, but The Hustler may be one of the best. Truly in double. But I love Color or Money too
  • Like 2

One I forgot:2010: The Year We Make Contact. This gets a lot of shit for not being like 2001, but it's almost a study in contrasts. Sure, it's not as good in the aspects where 2001 was strongest (mood, atmosphere, spectacle, "experience") but it also improves on a lot of things 2001 was weak on (plot, character, etc.)I actually know of people who hate 2001 and love 2010 - and they're not cultural/cinematic philistines either. One of them is an intelligent sci-fi fan who considers Harlan Ellison's I, Robot the greatest movie never made. They criticize 2001 in ways like: it has no story and it spends way too much time on visuals, or it only has 20 minutes of story in its entire running time, the HAL-9000 stuff is the only good/compelling part, the Discovery section is the only part where anything HAPPENS, the rest is visual style over substance, it's the worst kind of pretentious, it's an anti-movie, it's vastly overrated as a science-fiction story and as a film in general. I respectfully disagree with them on 2001 - I don't care if it's light on story and plot and character and the elements of a normal movie, it's an amazing experience - you want a film that tries the same things as 2001 and fails, watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture.Anyway, my point is that they basically say that everything 2001 fails at/does wrong, 2010 succeeds at/does right. In a lot of respects, they're not incorrect. 2010 is a different kind of movie, but it is absolutely not the travesty that many 2001 fans make it out to be. I think it's a good film in its own right - just a completely different one.

Edited by TServo2049