CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

Wow. Great number for Apes. That's like a 75% Friday increase. Locks $30 million for the weekend and could near $35 million depending on how Sat/Sun play out.

It's kinda sad that multis have gotten so bad these days for big films that we're celebrating 55% second weekend drops. :unsure:  I really thought Apes could manage sub 50 too this weekend back before Wednesday's awful number hit. I mean it didn't even open that huge.

Edited by MovieMan89

I had a good feeling Apes would hit $140 million on Sunday earlier this week.Chances are pretty much gone, but doing so on Monday is very much in play. Makes me feel much better!10.2 Friday gives it roughly a $34 million weekend, assuming a 33% Saturday increase and a 23% Sunday hold.

It's kinda sad that multis have gotten so bad these days for big films that we're celebrating 55% second weekend drops. :unsure:  I really thought Apes could manage sub 50 too this weekend back before Wednesday's awful number hit. I mean it didn't even open that huge.

This is the summer of CRAP legs. Only 22 Jump Street and Maleficent have managed to avoid that. :sadno:

• Like 2

This is the summer of CRAP legs. Only 22 Jump Street and Maleficent have managed to avoid that. :sadno:

Well at least 22JS deserves it. I mean not as much as Apes, Dragon, DOFP, or EOT, but I can't say it didn't do it's job effectively. Unlike Maleficent...

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I fear that this isn't the summer of crap legs...but instead the summer when good legs have been redefined.:(
  • Like 3

So apparently a group of teens made an account on twitter called SCV purge and uploaded of nudes of teenagers, and said they'd reveal names today (before the authorities took the account down) because it was the twitter purge. And encouraged all of the followers to do the same.http://ktla.com/2014/07/17/scv-purge-twitter-account-posts-nude-pics-of-teens-threatens-to-release-names/Teens may just be more idiotic than the purge movies themselves...

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I fear that this isn't the summer of crap legs...but instead the summer when good legs have been redefined. :(

Yeah that's what I was pretty much saying. I feel like this summer is starting to make 55%-ish drops seem pretty good. As long as it's sub 60% it's holding well!! That's just sad.

• Like 1

So apparently a group of teens made an account on twitter called SCV purge and uploaded of nudes of teenagers, and said they'd reveal names today (before the authorities took the account down) because it was the twitter purge. And encouraged all of the followers to do the same.http://ktla.com/2014/07/17/scv-purge-twitter-account-posts-nude-pics-of-teens-threatens-to-release-names/Teens may just be more idiotic than the purge movies themselves...

Of course...I clicked the link.

Sex Tape appears to have been a victim of a classic case of everything going wrong: terrible ads, poor reviews, inconsistent/not always reliable stars (plus I can't imagine Segel's almost disturbingly slimed down appearance in this made it look any more appealing), a generally lackluster box office environment, bad...well, pretty much everything.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

DEADLINE:

1). Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (FOX), 3,969 theaters (+2) / $10M+ Friday / 3-day est. cume: $34M (-53%) / Total est. cume: $137.3M / Wk 2

2). The Purge: Anarchy (UNI), 2,805 theaters / $11M to $13M Fri. / 3-day cume: $26M to $28M / Wk1

3). Planes: Fire & Rescue (DIS), 3,826 theaters / $6.5M Fri. / 3-day cume: $18M to $19M / Wk 1

4). Sex Tape (SONY), 3,062 theaters / $5.5M to $6M Fri. / 3-day cume: $15M to $17M / Wk 1

5). Transformers: Age of Extinction (PAR), 3,224 theaters (-689) / $2.85M Fri. / 3-day cume: $9.6M (-40%) / Total est. cume: $226.7M / Wk 4

6). Tammy (WB), 3,402 theaters (-63) / $2.1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $6.8M (-44%) / Total cume: $70.45M / Wk 3

7). 22 Jump Street (SONY), 2,229 theaters (-582) / $1.4M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.6M (-29%)/ Total cume: $180M / Wk 6

8). How to Train Your Dragon 2 (FOX), 2,169 theaters (-716) / $1M+ Fri. / 3-day cume: $4M (-30%) / Total cume: $160M+ / Wk 6

9). Earth to Echo (REL), 2,450 theaters (-780) / $900K to $1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $$2.7M to $3.2M (-41%) / Total cume: $31.56M / Wk 3

10). Maleficent (DIS), 1,541 theaters (-536) / $825K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.6M (-29%) / Total cume: $227.8M / Wk 8

NOTEWORTHY: Boyhood (IFC), 33 theaters (+28) / $270K Fri. / 3-day cume: $900K / Per screen: $27,320 / Wk 2
Edited by Ash
  • Like 3