CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

THURSDAY PREVIEWS

Purge: Anarchy - 2.7

for the new films thurs I'll say this
Planes shouldn't have bothered at all bad
P2 don't see it getting to level of 1st,ST yeah soft like notfabio said

Result of the first movie:

Purge was 3.4

Box Office: 'The Purge' Sequel Scares Up $2.6 Million Thursday Night
Sony's comedy "Sex Tape" earned $1.1 million in late-night and midnight showings.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-purge-sequel-scares-719429?utm_source=twitter

FRIDAY NUMBERS

For the moment going with
Pu2 12-14,apes 9.5-10.5,ST/Pla2 6-7,

Pu2 11.5-13,Apes 10.2-10.5,Pla2 6-6.5,ST 4.8-5.7,AOE 2.7,Tam 2.1,22J, 1.4,HTTYD2 1.1, ETE 1, Malef 800k,BA 700k

Weekend Estimates:
The annual purge did its job again, as THE PURGE: ANARCHY shot up $28.3M in its debut.
Maybe it should have starred Kim Kardashian. SEX TAPE didn't go viral as Sony's R-rated comedy floundered, opening w/ $15M.

Beat your chest! DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is #1 for the 2nd straight week w/ $36M, $138M total.

Michel Gondry's MOOD INDIGO debuted with $25k in 2 theaters.

Zach Braff's WISH I WAS HERE debuted w/ $495k in 68 venues--$7,279 per. Can you do a Kickstarter campaign to buy a ticket?

Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD continues to grow, earning $1.2M in 34 venues this weekend--$35k per.

PERSECUTED opened with an estimated $0.959M this weekend from 736 locations

BEGIN AGAIN took in an estimated $2.76M this weekend. Domestic total now stands at $9.49M. 

TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION took in an estimated $10.0M this weekend. Domestic total now stands at $227.16M

PLANES: FIRE & RESCUE felt the burn, as Disney's latest Cars spin-off debuted w/ just $18M.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

LOL I can't believe that this is looking to come reasonably close to the first movie despite that film's terrible reception. I got dragged to it last year and almost emerged from the theater 85 minutes later as a human vegetable from enduring so much idiocy.

• Like 3

LOL I can't believe that this is looking to come reasonably close to the first movie despite that film's terrible reception. I got dragged to it last year and almost emerged from the theater 85 minutes later as a human vegetable from enduring so much idiocy.

Hyperbolic. Most of it is just dull.
  • Like 2

Hyperbolic. Most of it is just dull.

I don't know, I ended up having several hundred questions by the end because of all the stupid decisions the characters make (including: why do the killers spend a whole purge terrorizing this one family when they could be killing several hobos? Why does the family keep splitting up? Why does the son let that bloody homeless dude into the house, or better yet, why does he even know the password to unlock the security system? Was this his first purge? In fact, what is the point of the purge when unemployment is like 1%, when most crime is brought on by poverty and not because everyone has a crazy killer holed up inside of them that needs to be released once a year?).

Maybe this new movie answers those questions, but I can't muster up any reason to care.

• Like 2

Can it be that people just rushed out to the see first film because of its effective marketing campaign? Obviously the first film isn't as "hated" as you all make out.I'm sick of this "it dropped like a rock".... How about people wanted to see it right away because that group of people were excited about it but it didn't attract mainstream audiences??

• Like 3

Can it be that people just rushed out to the see first film because of its effective marketing campaign?Obviously the first film isn't as "hated" as you all make out.I'm sick of this "it dropped like a rock".... How about people wanted to see it right away because that group of people were excited about it but it didn't attract mainstream audiences??

Would you say that The Devil Inside dropped like a rock after opening weekend because "people wanted to see it right away" and not because there were several reports and even videos made showing audiences booing it off the screen at the end? Believe it or not, word-of-mouth actually does matter for movies like this to, even if it isn't to the extent as other genres.

Edited by filmlover

Would you say that The Devil Inside dropped like a rock after opening weekend because "people wanted to see it right away" and not because there were several reports and even videos made showing audiences booing it off the screen at the end? Believe it or not, word-of-mouth actually does matter for movies like this to, even if it isn't to the extent as other genres.

• Like 1