CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

Foreign numbers coming in.

Edge of Tomorrow at $358 mil. Double its production budget globally! Bring on the sequel!

Every movie doesn't need a sequel. Edge of Tomorrow had a clearly defined and self contained story to tell, and it did very well at that, the plot was resolved and done with, no need for a sequel at all. Let the movie stand alone.

• Like 4

Every movie doesn't need a sequel. Edge of Tomorrow had a clearly defined and self contained story to tell, and it did very well at that, the plot was resolved and done with, no need for a sequel at all. Let the movie stand alone.

And it'll not have one. Warner lost some money with it.
  • Like 1

It's sad to see Planes 2 only making $18M. I thought for sure it could do $20M. I think I over-estimated the demographics. I thought children 2-7, who were regular movie-goers, would go see the film. It looks like children 8 years old are a little old for Plane 2. So only children ages 2-7 who are regular movie-goers went to see the film.

Sad? More like inspiring given the cars/planes franchise are some of the worst things to come from Disney/Pixar and that their market scheme to make a movie for the pure sake of selling more toys failed.
  • Like 1

I was kidding. Agree it doesn't need a sequel. 

After home media take, I'm not entirely convinced Edge will lose money. Certainly it's a few tens of millions better off than the estimates floating around when it opened. Pacific Rim got a sequel greenlit with very similar numbers.

• Like 2

I was kidding. Agree it doesn't need a sequel. After home media take, I'm not entirely convinced Edge will lose money. Certainly it's a few tens of millions better off than the estimates floating around when it opened. Pacific Rim got a sequel greenlit with very similar numbers.

But not everything needs a sequel...What is it with this day and age wanting to franchise anything that's a hit? Why not just make more original content and go off goodwill of your old content?Pixar did that for a while and it worked handsomely, then they sequalized and their movies were still successful just not close to the heights of their string of original content.
  • Like 2

Terrific hold for Apes.  Not sure how it will perform from here on out. I really have no idea how Lucy and Hercules will do.

Apes should see another 50%, simply because those movies are targeting some of the same audience as Apes is.

• Like 2

Boyhood did 1.2m in 33 theaters, that's a great 209% increase, they should really widen their release and expansion schedule this is doing good numbers for a low budget.It could even help them finance a strong awards campaign.

• Like 1

Tammy is the highest grossing movie about Melissa McCarthy being Melissa McCarthy as the only selling point to the thing.

That´s unfair. You mean "the highest grossing movie in which the main selling point is Melissa McCarthy playing another variation of the big screen persona/archetype through which she first captured audiences' attention." She is not like that in real life (I know, duh!), just like Angelina is not a fairy sorceress in real life and Tom Cruise is not a secret agent in real life.

• Like 2

Lucy is rated R and Hercules is looking to be a total non-event. Another 40-45% drop for Apes doesn't seem impossible.

I think it's fairly likely, Apes will gain back some of the older teen - 20 audience it lost to the purge this week which will make up for losing some adult audience to Lucy.
  • Like 1