Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

The story is original in the sense that it's not taken from the comics. Just the characters and setting are.

That's one thing I do really like about most modern comic book films. None of them seem to be straight up adaptations like the YA book adaptations. They take elements, characters, and pieces of normally different storylines and usually the end result is an original plot. Still not technically "original" but at least they aren't making it a straight carbon copy existing storylines.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 2

The Hollywood Marvel Comic Book Spectrum:

Posted Image

This is wrong. Man-Thing has reverted back to Marvel. Marvel has the rights to Namor as well according to Kevin Feige. There was a rumor that Marvel has the rights to Cable as well, but we will see if that rumor is accurate.

• Like 1

So does original mean no source material involved or not a reboot/remake/sequel?Or both?

Near as I can tell, what it means depends on whether the person is a fan of the property being discussed or not.

• Like 2

This is wrong. Man-Thing has reverted back to Marvel. Marvel has the rights to Namor as well according to Kevin Feige. There was a rumor that Marvel has the rights to Cable as well, but we will see if that rumor is accurate.

Also Captain America is in the top 5 Marvel franchises instead of Fantastic Four. Thor is also a bigger franchise than FF. Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

"Original" vs. "Adapted" is neither positive or negative. It merely indicates whether the movie is based on a previously published story or characters.

"Original" meaning "truly unique" is obviously a different beast... it's also almost unheard of in movies (in general, let alone blockbusters). Something like UNDER THE SKIN qualifies as something "original" (unique), for example, but it is not an original production, since it's based on a novel.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 6

"Original" vs. "Adapted" is neither positive or negative. It merely indicates whether the movie is based on a previously published story or characters.

"Original" meaning "truly unique" is obviously a different beast... it's also almost unheard of in movies (in general, let alone blockbusters). Something like UNDER THE SKIN qualifies as something "original" (unique), for example, but it is not an original production, since it's based on a novel.

Under the Skin is a book adaptation, no?

Ah, you edited it. Anyway, I wouldn't count it as original, its an adaptation. Same goes for Frozen, or Guardians of the Galaxy, or Snowpiercer.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 2

What about Armageddon? :lol:

• Like 1

I also read somewhere that there's also some sort problem which means Fox can't connect their separate properties (F4, Xmen, Deadpool) without Marvel consent. I wonder if it plays a factor in the future. Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

Under the Skin is a book adaptation, no? Ah, you edited it. Anyway, I wouldn't count it as original, its an adaptation. Same goes for Frozen, or Guardians of the Galaxy, or Snowpiercer.

Sorry, yes, I edited to be clearer. Yes, it's an adaptation, but stylistically it's "original" as a movie. I usually try to use "unique" or something similar in that case, to avoid confusion.Really (and unfortunately) there are very few would-be blockbusters that are original properties.
  • Like 1

I also read somewhere that there's also some sort problem which means Fox can't connect their separate properties (F4, Xmen, Deadpool) without Marvel consent. I wonder if it plays a factor in the future.

I hope that's the case. I remember there was a lot of talk after Avengers came out, they brought on Millar to sort of be their Whedon-lite, but lately I've read some stuff from Kinberg that sounded like he was walking that whole idea back.

• Like 1