Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

By the way, it's worth mentioning that Rth's Saturday numbers were from page 122, at 7pm eastern, 4 pacific.

So that 31-32.8 was posted way early. If it was a particularly good night or a bad night, it might go outside of that range.

(And if Rth nailed it that early in the day, then he deserves a cookie.)

GOTG is #41 on IMDb's Top 250. Sandwiched between Modern Times and Sunset Blvd. The end must be near. :P

40. Modern Times (1936)8.5    

41. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) 8.5

42. Sunset Blvd. (1950) 8.5

Guardians is an OK movie. I think the hype is excessive, way too excessive. Wired.com calls it "a wild, hilarious gem.."

it is wild and hilarious in spots but it is hardly a gem.

• Like 1

Guardians is an OK movie. I think the hype is excessive, way too excessive. Wired.com calls it "a wild, hilarious gem.."

it is wild and hilarious in spots but it is hardly a gem.

Definitely a gem. Beautiful looking film.

• Like 6

Has GOTG cured cancer yet, or is that next weekend?

Well, we have movies that we know for sure cure insomnia. So curing cancer? Wouldn't surprise me.
  • Like 1

Guardians is an OK movie. I think the hype is excessive, way too excessive. Wired.com calls it "a wild, hilarious gem.."it is wild and hilarious in spots but it is hardly a gem.

No Wired is correct, it's hilarious the whole way through and a gem blockbuster that actually entertains you.Reminds me of watching Star Trek 09, or The Avengers, or Pirates 1, or even Star Wars. Fantastic movie, it's the reason you go to the theaters.
  • Like 3

No Wired is correct, it's hilarious the whole way through and a gem blockbuster that actually entertains you.Reminds me of watching Star Trek 09, or The Avengers, or Pirates 1, or even Star Wars. Fantastic movie, it's the reason you go to the theaters.

The poor people who haven't seen it yet will surely have their expectations way too sky high, and will come out of the movie disappointed.

The poor people who haven't seen it yet will surely have their expectations way too sky high, and will come out of the movie disappointed.

I went in with high expectations personally and it surpassed them. It may not for everyone, but as a sci-fi geek it was everything I wanted from this movie.I left the theater wanting to buy tickets to the next showing, in my opinion that's what it takes to be an A+ blockbuster, the only other movie this year that did that for me was the LEGO Movie.I gave Snowpiercer and Boyhood both A+s as well but for different reasons. Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

Even with a 34 Saturday, it will still probably come in at 98-99.

Disney really wouldn't care enough to Paramount it over 100, would they?

34 wouldn't be enough. 35 would make it a toss up. 36 would nearly assure 100.

That wasnt guaranteed to connect. You saw how outlandish it looked and sounded back in 2012. I dont see why everyone needs to compare this to Star Wars. This was an even bigger risk than Thor. Remember when everyone was saying "a Marvel space movie? I dont know about that one...", but now that Thors a hit, of course those comments have changed. I had no interest in Guardians 8 months ago, but I was slowly pulled by what I saw. My brother didnt even want to go at first until I used the "you need to hang out with me before I go back to college" card. He likes it now. Guardians was never going to automatically connect, and Marvel knew that, but they had a vision and Disney went with it.It was. Thats what everyone has said up until yesterday. If Guardians had opened to $60M like expected, people would be like "well it was a risk for Marvel, but looks like itll pay off on the long run." Now that Guardians did $90, people want to say "Guardians was never really a risk, it was bound to connect with audiences with its Star Wars imagery and fluffy raccoon."No.Thats revisionism and a scapegoat.

Agree. People are trying to flip things now instead of just admitting they're going to have to eat some crow.

• Like 3