Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Yeah, people are allowed to have any opinion they want on a film and shouldn't have to deal with people mocking them for it. 

Having a poor opinion of a movie is fine.  Having a poor opinion of other people that do like a movie you don't isn't. (see below)

I know I get flack for this but it just seems like anything Marvel shovels out there, the masses love.  I don't understand what was so great about GOTG.  It just seemed so generic and like many other films.  Sorry, I know that's not the popular thing to say, but it seems to be true.  If Marvel's name wasn't on this most of you would ignore it....imo.

• Like 1

The original talks are are always hilarious to me. You'll be hard pressed to find things that can be truly original anymore. And definitely not in Hollywood.

• Like 1

Of course the original story was original, I guess it just bugs me when people call adaptations "original films". Semantics I know, lol. But to me an original film is a brand new story thought up by the writer or producer or director or whoever

Exactly. If it's got a "based on..." or "adapted from" or "characters created by" somewhere in the credits, it's not original. It's an adapted property.

• Like 3

Poor Godzilla.

It's getting there. Almost there.

Yes but remember what happened to this guy when he too was almost there:

Posted Image

• Like 4

...because they both involved kung fu?Then I have to tell you something, you might want to sit down for this one. You ready?The Matrix owes A LOT to the Asian film industry. Like, a lot.

No, not because they both involved kung fu, but because in KB1, humans could walk on walls and the ceiling and so on, where as in MR, the reason they could defy gravity is because they were in the Matrix.  Some tiny detail Quentin forgot about.  And don't patronize me with your feeble attempts at a ruse.  I know enough about film to know that the Matrix owes a lot to the Asian film industry.

Jesus Christ, it's like I'm playing cards with my brothers kids.

Edited by baumer

The original talks are are always hilarious to me. You'll be hard pressed to find things that can be truly original anymore. And definitely not in Hollywood.

It's something that definitely needs to change, too.

• Like 1

Is Rth done for the night?

Guardians really outdid tracking.

Hail Groot!

One thing to note. These massive preview showings will have to be taken into consideration when extrapolating for the weekend.

Every blockbuster this year has been over-predicted for the weekend on Friday by box office pundits.

• Like 2

Okay, let me lay this out there. And I'm by no means trying to knock the film, or anyone who loves it (for all I know, I will too).

But even those who love it are calling it "a tribute to ANH" or "an homage to ANH" or "inspired by SW" or "Groot and Raccoon are the new Chewy/Han".... how is that "nowhere near anything I've ever seen"?

Space opera's been around since the 1920s. It was refined and popularized to the point where people started getting tired of it (in the '50s). Comics, novels, magazines, serialized adventures (movies and TV), Buck Rogers, etc. Everywhere.

Then the genre came back in the '70s with Star Wars. And everyone jumped back on the bandwagon. BSG, Buck Rogers (again!), countless crappy SW ripoffs, and so forth. You even had brilliant comedic variations: The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy.

In the '90s, it returned to TV. Babylon 5, Farscape, Lexx, countless anime versions, etc. 

In the 2000s, SW returned again. In the late 2000s, AVATAR restarted a subset of space opera which resulted in several of (floptastic) Golden Age space romances.

How is GOTG "unique" or "original" or "unlike anything else"?

It's a variation on a well-established exceedingly-over-produced field that -- by its own definition, practically -- is playing sort of like a greatest hits remix of movies that've come before it.

edit: I'm not even going into the countless SF novels and serialized adventures that have gone leaps and bounds past GOTG in terms of originality or bizarre, unique fun within the same genre.

Can't really argue with any of this but if you follow this train of thought then we never get anything unique. Everything's a greatest hits or a mixture of existing genres and tones and ideas and concepts to create something slightly different

Which I guess is true, but it's an awfully cynical way to look at the industry

• Like 8

Having a poor opinion of a movie is fine.  Having a poor opinion of other people that do like a movie you don't isn't. (see below)

It's true though.  If this wasn't a marvel film, it would be snickered at.

...because they both involved kung fu?Then I have to tell you something, you might want to sit down for this one. You ready?The Matrix owes A LOT to the Asian film industry. Like, a lot.

I love The Matrix and all, but those kung fu battles got nothing, and I do mean nothing on the old Hong Kong martial arts movies. Sure, it's very impressive and a big achievement for Hollywood standards and involvement of developing CGI, but still, like you said, owned it to the Asian film industry and still got a lot to learn from it.
  • Like 2

Yeah, I really hope I'm wrong too. EOT isn't actually original though. And yeah Lucy did well, but it had a pretty unfortunate release date coming one week in front of Guardians. Which, even though it isn't original, I am glad is doing well because it does look like a unique type of adaptation.

Oh yeah the manga. Well, in defense kinda, most people wouldnt know it was adapted if you didnt tell them and it seemed like a new idea to people. Its obvious Ninja Turtles is adapted, but not so obvious for EOT, but true. Original to me means thought up brand new. Even if they make a movie about Doritos, its still adapted. Doritos are a food thats already established. But I hope some of these movies dont make it. Huntsman? Maleficent 2? Alice 2? Independence Day 2? So unnecessary. I think GA has been making it clear lately that less sequels is what they want. Even Mal could make that case.

Can't really argue with any of this but if you follow this train of thought then we never get anything unique. Everything's a greatest hits or a mixture of existing genres and tones and ideas and concepts to create something slightly different Which I guess is true, but it's an awfully cynical way to look at the industry

Well, at his age, I think Tele is entitled to be at least a bit cynical.
  • Like 1

Oh yeah the manga. Well, in defense kinda, most people wouldnt know it was adapted if you didnt tell them and it seemed like a new idea to people. Its obvious Ninja Turtles is adapted, but not so obvious for EOT, but true. Original to me means thought up brand new.Even if they make a movie about Doritos, its still adapted. Doritos are a food thats already established. But I hope some of these movies dont make it. Huntsman? Maleficent 2? Alice 2? Independence Day 2? So unnecessary. I think GA has been making it clear lately that less sequels is what they want. Even Mal could make that case.

Well China made it clear they want our unwanted sequels.

• Like 3

Which I guess is true, but it's an awfully cynical way to look at the industry

I'm not trying to be cynical at all, because I don't think it's an inherent negative. Heck, just look at my general love of AVATAR, a movie which is practically a remix of the greatest hits of Golden Age space romances.

I just think it's important to point out the building blocks and genre history that a movie is using and give credit where credit is due. Give Marvel credit for a fun new mix on things, but realize where it all came from and what influenced them.

• Like 6

It's true though.  If this wasn't a marvel film, it would be snickered at.

Couldn't you say this for any franchise? What if the prequels weren't Star Wars films?

• Like 1