Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

HOLY SHIT. This is now the only film I'm looking forward to the fall more than TWOWS. Hopefully the Shay curse backfires GA watches this and it's not a flop. But if it is, then the Shay curse will be unstoppable... 

Technically, everything that takes place in outer space is considered Science Fiction, so...

Just forget about science. Lets talk about 'fiction'. The definition of fiction: Fiction is the form of any work that deals, in part or in whole, with information or events that are not real, but rather, imaginary and theoretical—that is, invented by the author. 

Just forget about science. Lets talk about 'fiction'. The definition of fiction: Fiction is the form of any work that deals, in part or in whole, with information or events that are not real, but rather, imaginary and theoretical—that is, invented by the author. 

Well that s what I have been trying to explain to this forum but they are convinced that Apollo 13 & The Right Stuff are Sci-fi so ...

I guess Arthur C Clarke was right :

" Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

So yes, a toaster is Sci fi for some, I guess.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

You mean what happened in Gravity is real?

I'm in a team 'Gravity is not a sf'. It has modern technology, even Cuaron says that they used a little obsolete spacewalking suits. So it is based on modern times, nothing was 'invented' just for the movie. Saying Gravity is sf is like saying f.e. Scorceses The Departed is sf. Just because.

• Like 2

This is an original screenplay so the Science Fiction (yes, even after you gave me the definition of fiction) is still the one that fits for Gravity because that shit never happened.

A lot of sites called Gravity sci-fi, even though I felt Gravity is more of a thriller/drama. I don't think it affects the movie whether it is 'techinically' sci-fi or not. I just assumed it would be a sci-fi flick because the setting is in space and has scientific elements (gravity, lol).

• Like 2

A lot of sites called Gravity sci-fi, even though I felt Gravity is more of a thriller/drama. I don't think it affects the movie whether it is 'techinically' sci-fi or not. I just assumed it would be a sci-fi flick because the setting is in space and has scientific elements (gravity, lol).

Exactly that's why it is a sci-fi. Anything happening in outer space is considered Sci-Fi

• Like 1

Science Fiction Definition: Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginative content such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, parallel universes, extraterrestrial life, and paranormal abilities.Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possible worlds or futures. It is similar to, but differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).

• Like 2

Science Fiction Definition: Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginative content such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, parallel universes, extraterrestrial life, and paranormal abilities.Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possible worlds or futures. It is similar to, but differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).

Yeah, I just read that on Wiki. I'm kind of on the fence with this. I can see why people don't think Gravity is sci-fi because there are no imaginary elements (like those mentioned) at play. However, I can also see why some would call it sci-fi, going back to what my last post said. It's not on accident that most articles and movie reviewers are calling it a sci-fi. Although it may not be the techinical definiton of what a sci-fi constitutes, the general public has seemed to consider sci-fi anything that takes place in space and shows scientific elements. I'm not saying they are right, but just stating what the public views as sci-fi, which is why that is Gravity is being called it.

I'm really either way, and I don't really care if it's sci-fi or not.

Well that s what I have been trying to explain to this forum but they are convinced that Apollo 13 & The Right Stuff are Sci-fi so ...

No one has said that. I said, and dash agreed, that the two films are historical fiction.

• Like 1