Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

You are so off the mark it's not even funny.

Not really. If an actor has worked for 20 years without being a draw and then suddenly has two big hits then it is illogical to assume that he/she was the prime mover. The Proposal was Bullock's first hit movie in 9 years. It was Ryan Reynolds second hit movie in two months. X-Men came out in may of that year. It was a movie that worked for some reason but no one can legitimately claim Sandra Bullock opened that movie.

The Heat is tracking almost identically to Identity Thief and will likely finish in the same Box Office ballpark so I don't see how Bullock mattered.

Not really. If an actor has worked for 20 years without being a draw and then suddenly has two big hits then it is illogical to assume that he/she was the prime mover. The Proposal was Bullock's first hit movie in 9 years. It was Ryan Reynolds second hit movie in two months. X-Men came out in may of that year. It was a movie that worked for some reason but no one can legitimately claim Sandra Bullock opened that movie.

The Heat is tracking almost identically to Identity Thief and will likely finish in the same Box Office ballpark so I don't see how Bullock mattered.

HAHAHA!

That was not a hit because of Reynolds.  

HAHAHA!

• Like 3

Yeah, clearly, The Proposal  was a hit because of RR. I mean look at his X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie. Evidently, that grossed 179 million because of him. Not because of the X-men brand, and certainly not because the film starred the X-men's most popular character in his first solo adventure. Nah, it was Reynolds. ;) And who can forget his other blockbusters post-Proposal: Paper Man, The Change-Up, Buried, and his crowning achievement: Green Lantern. :lol:  All uber blockbusters, and all due to his box office clout. Meanwhile, Bullock's career post-Proposal has two well-received (unlike GL) 100-million-plus grossers (including one that made over 250 million) and an Oscar win. Yep, poor Bullock can't compare to Mr. Reynolds' heat.

• Like 9

HAHAHA!

That was not a hit because of Reynolds.  

HAHAHA!

Yeah, clearly, The Proposal  was a hit because of RR. I mean look at his X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie. Evidently, that grossed 179 million because of him. Not because of the X-men brand, and certainly not because the film starred the X-men's most popular character in his first solo adventure. Nah, it was Reynolds. ;) And who can forget his other blockbusters post-Proposal: Paper Man, The Change-Up, Buried, and his crowning achievement: Green Lantern. :lol:  All uber blockbusters, and all due to his box office clout. Meanwhile, Bullock's career post-Proposal has two well-received (unlike GL) 100-million-plus grossers (including one that made over 250 million) and an Oscar win. Yep, poor Bullock can't compare to Mr. Reynolds' heat.

People are resorting to revisionist history. Ryan Reynolds' career has been in free fall since TGL flopped but he was one of the big Hollywood names back in 2009 so was Bullock but she had  a spotty record in the decade preceding that movie. Who knows what happened with that movie ? It is just one of those movies that clicked with the audience and made a lot of money. The point I am making is that nothing Bullock had done previously Box Office-wise justifies giving her sole credit for that movie. People try to fit things into narratives to make them easier to understand and I guess it is easy to give credit for The Proposal to Sandra Bullock, an Oscar winner , but she was nowhere the name then that she is now and she didn't have the Oscar either.

Sandra Bullock's box office history

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=sandrabullock.htm

And I will keep repeating that the credit for "The Heat" must all go to Melissa McCarthy unless and until it starts kicking Identity Thief's ass. As things stand right now, it is one track to replicate Identity Thief's domestic and overseas performance which opened just 5 months ago ,which was all Melissa McCarthy and which had terrible reviews. .

Who's Ryan Reynolds ? I heard it was a guy who got hitched with that Gossip Girl chick. They should do Sharknado II together, they deserve it.

LMAO! He's some dude that seems to have two or three fans (and they are all members of this forum), no charisma, a hot body, so-so acting talent, and a nice knack for choosing bad films to star in. Oh, and he's box office poison.

The X-men audience and The Proposal audience are mostly different. I doubt X-men had much to do with The Proposal being a success. However, I do agree that Melissa McCarthy has quickly established herself as a marketable brand and she should take most of the credit for The Heat being a hit. Her audiences know what they are getting for their money.

McCarthy is the most marketable movie star right now, but The Heat is a buddy movie and I can't think of better casting than Sandra Bullock who is well remembered in comedy and cop comedy-- Miss Congeniality was huge--and her profile has never been higher after The Proposal and The Blind Side were massive hits and the Oscar win. The combination of Bullock and McCarthy was needed to make The Heat as big as it is. There are no other actresses who could have delivered box office better than McCarthy and Bullock. To say Bullock didn't matter is to assume you could drop another female star into the Bullock role and the movie would be as successful. I don't think that is the case at all. Do you have any suggestions who could have replaced Bullock?   

Edited by Bond Bug