Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

LOL I read all of that. I can't say I agree with any of that but as a female, it is definitely and intriguing take. I definitely remember the big Buddha sitting there in the Chinese space station. But in spite of the film makers underlying motives and sublimal messages the movie is still a triumph. But what would a space movie be without shots of the female protagonist in her bra and panties? LOL

Thanks for responding.  I was curious to see what women thought of this Gravity review.  It is brutal to say the least.

Thanks for responding.  I was curious to see what women thought of this Gravity review.  It is brutal to say the least.

Oh no problem. You're welcome. Well she has a very strong opinion of Cuaron as a film maker and his treatment of women. Sure there is definitely some of what she says in the film. But it's his point of view of women. He can't help that and why should he? It's who he is. He is from Mexico right?  I guess she missed the fact that there was a women in space in the first place who against all odds survived the most frightening experience any person male or female could ever endure. She was shown as beautiful and smart even if she was vulnerable. This was her first time in space of course she wouldn't show the strength and fortitude of her more experienced male counterpart. Overall it was a beautiful film.

• Like 1

Ugh, so many feminists wonder why young girls and women run screaming from the feminist label and it's because of women who tear down every other female (real or fictional) who doesn't meet their standards of "empowerment" or fails the Bechdel Test or shows any sort of weakness even in a situation where it's perfectly reasonable. So what happens is that, since nothing is good enough for some people, TV/movie makers use it as an excuse to just do more stories centered around white guys lest they "get it wrong" and be accused of racism/sexism for daring to portraying a woman or person of color as anything but 100 percent flawless. Of course women don't have to like every fictional portrayal of women, but some people seem to think the primary point of a movie/book/show is to be all, "Rah, issues!" and then work the story around that. Not that movies can't send messages of course, but if the lead character in a movie like this is never scared or stressed and always in control...well, that's not how movies tend to work.The same would be true if Gravity had a male lead character.

And she had a problem with the wand jokes in Prisoner of Azkaban? LOL, I wonder if she is one of those people who failed to notice all the dirty jokes Rowling made in the actual Potter books and insists the birthday gift scene in Deathly Hallows was totally innocent. Those people are a trip.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 3

To compare it with other recent films, Gravity have already doubled (in just 9 days) the tickets sold by Elysium in a month.Captain Philips open here this past Thursday, and Gravity kind of double it in its second weekend.

OMG what a pile of horseshit of a review. I hate HATE feminists. But this one is plain ridiculous. Or worse, is begging for attention. I wonder how different her review would have been if the movie wasn't doing this good.

$270m is the floor.

Look at this 3rd weekend record by Mojo.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/moreweekends.htm?page=3&p=.htm

Among movies that grossed $30M or more

in its 3rd weekend, only 2 ended up with less than

$300M (HP2 & UP). Comparison may not be 

apple to apple because most of these are summer

releases, which made GRAVITY performance

even more impressive.

Edited by zackzack

Look at this 3rd weekend record by Mojo.

Among movies that grossed $30M or more

in its 3rd weekend, only 2 ended up with less than

$300M (HP2 & UP). Comparison may not be 

apple to apple because most of these are summer

releases, which made GRAVITY performance

even more impressive.

Indeed. This is not a usual blockbuster with huge opening, Gravity is the lowest grosser after 3rd weekend of this exclusive club (excepting Titanic, but it played on its own league). It is 50 million behind HP2, Up or Hobbit. But it is sure that Gravity will recover difference against rest of the movies thanks to better legs. Anyway, a very impressive performance.

But what would a space movie be without shots of the female protagonist in her bra and panties? LOL

lol there was a boy next to be & he loudly wondered several times why that woman had to undress to her underwear :D  :D

Edited by Leyla
  • Like 1

You think the legs will slow down alot due to imax losses?

I think loss of 3d screens will hurt it more because the share is so high.

eta: loss of Imax will have an impact because of the premium ticket prices.

Edited by ECSTASY