Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

After all, the most feminist event in Hollywood history came when John Landis decapitated Vic Morrow — thus accidentally emasculating the white male stereotype he was clumsily lampooning and exploiting in the tawdry TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE

No one in the business does the Harried Career Woman or Vanilla Mother Goddess better than the Uncle Tom of female actors. Her male-entertainment-industrial-complex-compliant role-playing bleeds over into “reality,” at least how she sees it, and her urge to Play Mommy is so compulsive she outdoes even Madonna in buying African orphans, parading them around as if they were Prada bags.

Dr. Ryan Stone (an absurdly masculine moniker for the lead character in a movie supposedly about womanhood). Having already saved her life by barking orders at her and pulling her to safety, once again White Knight Clooney must come to the rescue at the most desperate moment for Dr. Stone. That this “apparition” can only be rationally seen as a projection of Ms. Bullock’s character’s psyche isn’t just bad storytelling – it’s terribly insulting to women in general. In order to survive, Dr. Stone must reject whatever the movie has been passing off as femininity and replace it with the male will to action.

Alfonso Cuaron. GRAVITY simply marks yet another deceptively misogynistic entry in his filmography. Cuaron’s films are bursting with themes appropriated from the filmmaker’s inherently paternalistic and Catholic Mexican background. There’s the Motherly Sex Goddess in Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN, whose function is merely uniting two young men in love. In her mouth. With their penises. Also consider the wanton, teen-boys-in-puberty wand-wielding in HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN or that a male is the deliverer of humanity’s future in the aptly titled CHILDREN OF MEN. And let’s only mention in passing his grotesque, mannered and cloying adaptations of A LITTLE PRINCESS and GREAT EXPECTATIONS.

However, Mr. Cuaron’s greatest cinematic crime against women is surely GRAVITY. It’s a revenge film, of sorts. He made the film coming off of a bitter divorce, and the final product is dependent on juxtaposing powerful male symbols against the ineffectual Dr. Stone. It’s littered with reminders of male dominance over the feminine, from the phallic spacecraft and equipment to its ham-fisted emphasis on masculine religious symbols such as St. Christopher and Buddha.

Instead, Dr. Stone’s “rebirth” scene suggests that she has become a lower lifeform, stumbling as she emerges from slime, as the director’s slavering camera lingers on Ms. Bullock’s lady parts.

GRAVITY is often compared with 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, but at least Stanley Kubrick’s film, with its cavalcade of jutting phallic structures and nearly all-male cast, is upfront and honest about its masculino-fascist viewpoint. When the astronaut Dave returns to Earth, it’s as a massive superman in his infancy. The implications are clear: The masculine forces of the universe have ordained a male to govern over Earth and the immediate cosmos. In Mr. Cuaron’s film, our heroine is harried into accepting domesticity.

Posted Image

It's like if iJack turned into a super feminist and hated on Cuaron instead of Raimi.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Posted Image

It's like if iJack turned into a super feminist and hated on Cuaron instead of Raimi.

LOL I read all of that. I can't say I agree with any of that but as a female, it is definitely and intriguing take. I definitely remember the big Buddha sitting there in the Chinese space station. But in spite of the film makers underlying motives and sublimal messages the movie is still a triumph. But what would a space movie be without shots of the female protagonist in her bra and panties? LOL

Although most of those were summer movies. HP2 is worth following as a possible comp (I think GRAVITY will hold much better but let's see).

I know, it is not a fair comparison but doing $30M in 3rd weekend puts you in an exclusive club - $300M or no....

I also wish Warner does not have PACRIM to promote & release this summer. Imagine a movie like this on

that July slot. This could do $350M easily. A waste of opportunity. Is this a Jeff Robinov thing? I heard he was responsible for getting GRAVITY developed, a project previously owned by Universal ??

On a side note: Universal must be banging their heads against the wall: We should keep GRAVITY

for the sins of RIPD

Edited by zackzack