Fullbuster

Diversity in top films misrepresents U.S. population

Bird wasn't exactly a high fly act.

Yeah, that's my point and he was still allowed to play in NBA being white so comparing NBA and Hollywood don't bode well because NBA is not "Blacks reserved only" because of their skin color, it's open. That would be like me complaining about the lack of black people in swimming, equestrian, archery, rowing, sailing, ski, BMX, waterpolo and countless other sports. That's not the point.

Edited by dashrendar44

Yeah, that's my point and he was still allowed to play in NBA being white so comparing NBA and Hollywood don't bode well because NBA is not "Blacks reserved only" because of their skin color, it's open. That would be like me complaining about the lack of black people in swimming, equestrian, archery, rowing, sailing, ski, BMX, waterpolo and countless other sports. That's not the point.

Hollywood isn't 'Whites reserved only'.

Say hi to Will Smith. 

Hollywood isn't 'Whites reserved only'.

Say hi to Will Smith. 

I didn't say that. I said "NBA isn't black reserved only". Once again, you want to read what you want to read and assume things that simply aren't.

No, Hollywood casting that has prevailed for a long time was more along "Lead material is largely chosen within a white pool from the get-go unless some proven minority draw at BO like Denzel Washington, Will Smith or Jennifer Lopez express interests."

http://time.com/7278/agencies-hollywood-racial-diversity/

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/hollywood-failing-to-keep-up-with-250007?link_page_rss=250007

The UCLA analysis focused on the top 172 American-made movies from 2011 and more than 1,000 television shows that aired on 68 cable and broadcast networks during the 2011–12 season. Researchers looked at the level of diversity both in front of and behind the camera, on the rosters of Hollywood's most prominent talent agencies, and among the winners of such industry accolades as the Academy and Emmy awards.

The study, "2014 Hollywood Diversity Report: Making Sense of the Disconnect," is believed to be the largest and most comprehensive look to date at diversity in the entertainment industry. It is part of a series of analyses that will be done for the Bunche Center's Hollywood Advancement Project, which will track over time whether the TV-and-film industry is employing diverse groups of lead actors, writers, directors and producers and whether major talent agencies are representing them. The study also will identify best practices for widening the pipeline for underrepresented groups.

"Underrepresentation in Hollywood is not a surprise to anyone," said Ana-Christina Ramon, co-author of the study and the center's assistant director. "What's different is we're actually documenting the degree to which the problem is occurring in all these different arenas, and we're showing how diversity affects the bottom line. Moreover, we're going to document these trends over time so we can trace any changes."

Problems on both sides of the camera

The study found that minorities were featured in starring film and TV roles far less often than would be expected given their share of the overall U.S. population, which stands at just more than 36 percent.

As lead actors in films, they were underrepresented by a factor of more than three-to-one — that is, they appeared as leads at less than one-third the rate that would be expected based on their proportion of the population.

They fared a little better in all forms of entertainment (not including sports) on cable television and in reality programming on broadcast TV, appearing as leads at about half the expected rate. But the situation was worse in broadcast TV comedies and dramas, where they were underrepresented by a factor of seven-to-one, the study found.

Top behind-the-scenes positions also went to minorities less frequently than would be expected. As film directors, they were underrepresented by a factor of three-to-one. As film writers and as creators of comedies and dramas on cable TV, they were underrepresented by a factor of five-to-one. Things were again worse with broadcast TV, where minority creators of comedies and dramas were underrepresented by a factor of nine-to-one.

Women enjoyed proportionate representation in just one category: On broadcast TV, they appeared as leading actors in about 52 percent of comedies and dramas in 2011–12. But they fared worse elsewhere. In fact, in the study's single greatest example of disparity, women were underrepresented by a factor of 12-to-one as film directors. As film writers, they were underrepresented by a factor of three-to-one. In the other film and TV categories, they were represented at only 50 percent to 70 percent the expected rate.

Talent agencies: Not representing the underrepresented

Prominent talent agencies contribute little to promoting diversity in Hollywood, according to the study. Three dominant talent agencies represented more than two-thirds of the writers, directors and lead actors in the 172 leading films in 2011. Yet less than 10 percent of this talent was minority, according to the study.

In broadcast television, the same three agencies represented more than two-thirds of show creators and more than half of the leads. Yet minorities accounted for only 1.4 percent of these creators and 5.5 percent of these leads during the 2011–12 broadcast season.

In cable, the situation was only slightly better. The three agencies represented more than two-thirds of show creators and nearly half of all leads, but only 6.1 percent of these creators and 13 percent of these leads were minorities.

"There are certain major projects that you just don't get to be part of unless you have a connection with one of these top agencies," Ramon said. "Or maybe you get to be a part of it, but you're not going to be the lead. So the tendency of top agencies to pack their talent rosters with whites really restricts access to opportunities for underrepresented groups."

That's what I like about Star Wars casting approach, they didn't close their potential thinking "Well, it's the lead, we got to choose only whites to test and cast among Hollywood top agencies". For exemple, Billy Dee Williams tested for the Han Solo role because nothing on paper screamed Han Solo got to be white only. Just like I'd like to think there were white, latino, asian, black people that tested for the role John Boyega, Daisy Ridley and Lupita Nyong'o landed. Talent comes in any shape and color if you're primarily looking for it. That would be ideal if most castings were resuming that way.

Edited by dashrendar44

I didn't say that. I said "NBA isn't black reserved only". Once again, you want to read what you want to read and assume things that simply aren't.

You said, and I quote "he was still allowed to play in NBA being white so comparing NBA and Hollywood don't bode well because NBA is not "Blacks reserved only""

Now when you say you can't compare NBA with Hollywood because NBA 'isn't black reserved only', what do you think Dash you are implying about Hollywood???

Those were your words. If you phrased them poorly then you only have yourself to blame.

You said, and I quote "he was still allowed to play in NBA being white so comparing NBA and Hollywood don't bode well because NBA is not "Blacks reserved only""

Now when you say you can't compare NBA with Hollywood because NBA 'isn't black reserved only', what do you think Dash you are implying about Hollywood???

Those were your words. If you phrased them poorly then you only have yourself to blame.

I'm implying that the cesspool in which they chose the players is not as narrow as Hollywood just like the articles I just posted reflect. When Hollywood top agencies represent a very small percentage of minorities that got to be represented by smaller agencies to land major roles (even if major projects chose within top agencies), those parameters don't bode well for comparison. Simple.

Edited by dashrendar44

I'm implying that the cesspool in which they chose the players is not as narrow as Hollywood just like the articles I just posted reflect. Simple.

So because Larry King got a game the 'cesspool' is not as Narrow as it is in Hollywood? You may as well say the same about Will Smith in Hollywood vs the NBA

I really think you should have thought through that post a bit more buddy. 

Edited by Spottswoode

Read the articles about how casting agencies work, buddy.

Talking sports is a whole can of worm because I could slip the debate why there aren't more minorities in those following sports (swimming, equestrian, archery, rowing, sailing, ski, BMX, waterpolo etc)  playing for the USA so implying NBA is so black it needs more diversity as a way of maliciously twisting the debate is uncalled for.

That's not the debate at hand.

Edited by dashrendar44

You know what I completely agree with you when you said 

"That's what I like about Star Wars casting approach, they didn't close their potential thinking "Well, it's the lead, we got to choose only whites to test and cast among Hollywood top agencies". For exemple, Billy Dee Williams tested for the Han Solo role because nothing on paper screamed Han Solo got to be white only. Just like I'd like to think there were white, latino, asian, black people that tested for the role John Boyega, Daisy Ridley and Lupita Nyong'o landed. Talent comes in any shape and color if you're primarily looking for it. That would be ideal if most castings were resuming that way."

I'm the one championing the need for a colour blind society after-all.

I just think your post that I originally quoted was poorly worded and still do.

Edited by Spottswoode

The difference is that I'm not championing absolute "colorblind" as "color doesn't exist" but "color shouldn't matter" as a criteria and basis to choose between talented people, it is more about recognizing that you can be white, black, yellow, pink, whatever color and be as equally talented and deserving the same role on paper that doesn't require to be of any skin color in the starting blocks, that talent comes in every shape and colors in America. That color doesn't make anyone superior or inferior in terms of choice. Some people can't even access the starting blocks because they are not deemed by the majority running the show "color correct" by nature and few have a shot and a try at running the race (pun non intended) as an unfortunate consequence.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

If you don't mind me entering, I just read through the topic.

The idea that we are completely blind to race, and that trying to promote diversity in mass media defeats the purpose of this, would be much more rational in the future. It's common knowledge that bigotry and racism aren't even remotely close to gone in this society, and we're not at a point where we can just let it slide and stop explicitly judging people on race. It's not that simple, and that's kind of the main creed of these desires for greater diversity in Hollywood. We want to help people see that race doesn't make for a defining factor in someone's life, yet they are allowed to celebrate their own culture and background without being scrutinized for it (The latter part is, IMO, the key difference between "color blind" and "color doesn't matter"). What Spottswoode, Mattmav, and Jessie are saying would be something I could get behind easier if we were more progressive as a society then we really are. If we really want to make for a more accepting society, this really is one of the best approaches we can take, IMO.

• Like 2

You have no idea how people mold themselves and their compass on what is perceived cool on contemporary pop culture and doxa...Most people conform and think like an hivemind.

Don't you believe in role models and how culture can influence/mold/change the perception of oneself in a society?

Like I said, scripted and acted characters can bring certain issues to light and stimulate useful discussions. But people are obsessed about creating a character that will be, in a limited and reducionist way, enough to make people change their values, and at the same time, they wanna eliminate characters that would reinforce values that they not agree with. Art and pop culture should be more about self-expression instead of a tool for ideological purposes. Plus, this whole thing can go the other way around, if mass entertainment is this succesful in changing people's thoughts without instigating personal reflection, than these people are easily influenced by propaganda.

So because Larry King got a game the 'cesspool' is not as Narrow as it is in Hollywood? You may as well say the same about Will Smith in Hollywood vs the NBA I really think you should have thought through that post a bit more buddy.

All white guys are the same for you. You can't even get his name right.

If you don't mind me entering, I just read through the topic.

The idea that we are completely blind to race, and that trying to promote diversity in mass media defeats the purpose of this, would be much more rational in the future. It's common knowledge that bigotry and racism aren't even remotely close to gone in this society, and we're not at a point where we can just let it slide and stop explicitly judging people on race. It's not that simple, and that's kind of the main creed of these desires for greater diversity in Hollywood. We want to help people see that race doesn't make for a defining factor in someone's life, yet they are allowed to celebrate their own culture and background without being scrutinized for it (The latter part is, IMO, the key difference between "color blind" and "color doesn't matter"). What Spottswoode, Mattmav, and Jessie are saying would be something I could get behind easier if we were more progressive as a society then we really are. If we really want to make for a more accepting society, this really is one of the best approaches we can take, IMO.

IF the Model of Affirmative action is so great and wonderful, then explain why the US still has so many racial issues. 

I think the fact the US society makes every last thing always about race, is why there are so many racial tensions. 

It needs to move towards a Colour Blind approach or else it will never get past racial issues. 

Edited by Lordmandeep