Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

11 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I don't want this to bomb because tons of riding is on those kids and it would suck if they had to deal with a bomb at their age. That said, I hope critics don't chicken out when it comes to Oprah. She looks terrible and never gave a decent performance since Color Purple (that's back when she was an actress and not a personality). 

Yeah because kids really worry about box office.

13 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I don't want this to bomb because tons of riding is on those kids and it would suck if they had to deal with a bomb at their age. 

The older boy in this was the title character in another big megabomb a few years back (Pan) and emerged from it just fine it seems so you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MuffinMan said:

Embargo broken:

‘A Wrinkle in Time’ is a landmark film, but doesn’t always work (2.5/4)

http://tucson.com/entertainment/movies/a-wrinkle-in-time-is-a-landmark-film-but-doesn/article_54b9350c-c050-512f-a473-3203857acc3b.html

Expecting a lot of these kinds of takes.

In other words "I did not think it was a good film, but don't want to lool like a bigot by giving it a bad review".

IMHO you need to review the film not the director's intentions. Good Intentions mean nothing the only thing that really matters is what is on the screen. We all know what the road to hell is paved with.....

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, Alli said:

“Black Panther” will face competition this weekend from Disney’s “A Wrinkle in Time,” which has been tracking to launch in the $30 million to $38 million range.

http://variety.com/2018/film/box-office/black-panther-beauty-and-the-beast-box-office-1202719242/

Which giving how The Mouse has been pushing this, will be a dissapont for them. They will get their money back, but not make a huge profit.

3 hours ago, MuffinMan said:

Embargo broken:

‘A Wrinkle in Time’ is a landmark film, but doesn’t always work (2.5/4)

http://tucson.com/entertainment/movies/a-wrinkle-in-time-is-a-landmark-film-but-doesn/article_54b9350c-c050-512f-a473-3203857acc3b.html

Expecting a lot of these kinds of takes.

So it basically sucks but because it's diverse and a movie that fits right in with today's political movements, they can't outright pan and criticize it. :/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

So it basically sucks but because it's diverse and a movie that fits right in with today's political movements, they can't outright pan and criticize it. :/

That review basically screams "eh" so I doubt that. There is such a thing as interesting failures, where a film just doesn't work but does have interesting/compelling elements at play. But regardless you know that old saying about polishing a turd....

33 minutes ago, AndyK said:

True, but It'll be another nail in the coffin of original movie making..

This has been a refrain for the last decade every time a big risk bombs. There's always going to be someone new who gets cozy with a producer and is granted the money to try something ambitious. Heck, just last week Annihilation came out and I'm sure it's earned enough respect to keep Alex Garland's career alive.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AndyK said:

True, but It'll be another nail in the coffin of original movie making..

AWIT was based off a book. 

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

This has been a refrain for the last decade every time a big risk bombs. There's always going to be someone new who gets cozy with a producer and is granted the money to try something ambitious. Heck, just last week Annihilation came out and I'm sure it's earned enough respect to keep Alex Garland's career alive.

You mean the same movie that Paramount sold off its foreign rights to Netflix? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RRA said:

You mean the same movie that Paramount sold off its foreign rights to Netflix? 

Yes, that one. The after-the-fact reception matters a lot more than what their insecurities drove them to do before it was released. 

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yes, that one. The after-the-fact reception matters a lot more than what their insecurities drove them to do before it was released. 

I'm more baffled that Paramount sold that off and not the two Matt Damon duds (financially and critically) they put out last year. 

13 minutes ago, RRA said:

I'm more baffled that Paramount sold that off and not the two Matt Damon duds (financially and critically) they put out last year. 

I think paramount also did sell most of Suburbicon:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491175/companycredits

After a check they never had them, only bought US only 10m:

https://www.screendaily.com/distribution/efm-paramount-pays-10m-for-george-clooneys-suburbicon/5100270.article

It was fully financed by Black Bear.

Downsizing was with the sister Elison not the brother and Alexander Payne had a perfect commercial record before Downsizing.

4/4 hits directing + huge success as a writer before that, combined with the sell-able high concept and Damon not too surprising.

For one I doubt Paramount had the option to sell it if they wanted (obviously they had only one market for Suburbicon) but even Downsizing, can they sell it without the accord of Annapurna, procuder and cast having box office points in their contract ?

• Like 1