Mojoguy

Tuesday Numbers: GOTG 12, Lucy 2.6, Herc 1.6 (Rth) DBZ 1.07

I'd like to believe...260m is locked...top of the year. I not only believe, but I think it'll do well past that. Not saying 300m...but cleanly number one domestic, which means well more than 260m.

I am now starting to think 300m could be possible. TMNT is getting poor reception, so if it can do 45m+ this weekend, then there is a chance.
  • Like 1

Fair enough.

But if it's expected...where do you think it ends?

And let's get real...none of us really knew this reception until like...3 days ago.  At most.

And I saw this movie 2 weeks ago...and I still wasn't sure how it'd be received.  Sure, it's obvious now, with internet buzz, and GA reception, and numbers to support...but let's not pretend this is so obvious.  We know now...cause it's now.  We didn't know just a few moments ago.

Not only is it getting great WOM, but I'm also impressed that it's also been successful at getting people into the theaters in the first place. It's not an easy sell. Let's not forget that everyone was calling it a huge risk and gamble (before everyone retroactively changed their mind, of course, and knew it would be a success all along).

• Like 4

I'm not sure it's locked, but I'm certainly hopeful it can get to 260.

There's an awful lot of legit competition this August though.

I think this August is really weak outside GotG.

TMNT, Cops, Sin City 2, and If I Stay looked like real flops. :lol:

I'm not sure it's locked, but I'm certainly hopeful it can get to 260.

There's an awful lot of legit competition this August though.

There's Turtles for sure.  I'm not sure much else poses real competition.  Sure, if you compare to what Cap 2 had it's stronger...but Ex 3, Sin City 2, they're not doing much more than 20m each (and let's get real, Sin City 2 ain't even touching that anyways).  I guess Into The Storm could surprise?  I'm not expecting that much though.  Let's Be Cops?  The Giver?  Fucking November Man?  These aren't going to break out IMO.

I'm not sure much else poses that muc

TMNT is getting poor reception by critics, its the fans that matter Fake.

TMNT should do ok, cause it is a fun movie and delivers on at least what it promises.

That being said, it's hardly four quadrant, and is a stupid movie.  But I liked it.

So GotG does have some time.When school starts, that means larger weekends, but Summer weekdays are really important to building WOM. I really wish GotG had been released in July to maximize its boxoffice potential. :unsure:

It will still have 2 weeks of summer weekdays, and by Day 17 it will be well over 200m. So there won't be much loss of gross. But on the other hand, it will not have to lose many screens and it can keep playing well into September.

TMNT will bomb, I can feel it, and GOTG will have a much much better WOM so that won't even scratch it.

TMNT might not do 200m but bomb? 

Naa.

Movie delivers on what it should be, imo.  A fun kids movie that does what the old movies managed to do (excepting TMNT 3 which is shit).

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 2

Didnt Apes drop +30% on first Wed? We have seen some horrible drops on Wed's all the summer. If GOTG fall 30% tomorrow, i wouldnt worry too much. Thursday drop should be bigger than 10% with new movies opening too.

Mon: 11.7

Tue:  12.0

Wed: 8.4 (-30%)

Thu:  7.4 (-12%)

Fri: 12.5  (+70%)

Sat: 17.3 (+38%)

Sun: 13.0 (-25%)

2nd Weekend: 42.8 (-55%)

Best second weekend of the Summer outgrossing Transformers 4..

I am now starting to think 300m could be possible. TMNT is getting poor reception, so if it can do 45m+ this weekend, then there is a chance.

I'm really hoping for 300m for GotG.

But I'm forcing myself not to expect it so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't hit it. 300m DOM milestone is REALLY hard to reach, expecially for movies released this crappy summer. :(

But to be a big success and open with 50-60m+, it needs support of GA too. And now a causual person, who wants to see a movie, is much more likely to choose GOTG over TMNT.

It's not even sure these fans will watch it.

Sorry to tell you that but I loved the cartoon from 1987 and I love the current cartoon (TMNT 2012, the best of these TMNT cartoons for me) and I won't watch it, not in a cinema. These turtles in this movie are really ugly, too big and too muscled, many fans will be put off because of that. Beware of the bomb!

It should be on par with Iron Man weekly's for at least the first two weeks. So there is a possibility

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

Not only is it getting great WOM, but I'm also impressed that it's also been successful at getting people into the theaters in the first place. It's not an easy sell. Let's not forget that everyone was calling it a huge risk and gamble (before everyone retroactively changed their mind, of course, and knew it would be a success all along).

Yeah, it is pretty funny how quickly people changed their tune for GotG when the Friday numbers came out. :lol:

• Like 2