eXtacy

Wednesday Numbers: GOTG 8.8 (-26%), Lucy 1.9, Herc 1.16

LOS ANGELES - August 7, 2014 - According to Fandango, the nation's leading moviegoer destination, Michael Bay's "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' (opening tonight) is shredding its way to the top of the company's Fanticipation movie buzz indicator, scoring a powerful 89 out of 100 points, while "Guardians of the Galaxy" stands strong with 87 points in its second week. 

Moviegoers are shelling out big time for "Turtles," with the movie leaping to the top of Fandango's weekend ticket pre-sales. Representing a major slice of tickets since Monday, "Turtles" shows no signs of slowing. It is outpacing both 2009's "G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra" and 2013's "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" at the same point in the Fandango sales cycle.

Fandango surveyed more than 1,000 "Turtles" ticket-buyers on its site and found that:

87% watched the cartoon series;

82% had seen one of the previous movies;

72% are fans of the film's producer, Michael Bay;

57% are fans of the film's star, Megan Fox;

56% picked Michelangelo as their favorite turtle. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE_covmW9vY

Posted Image

just took a look at rottentomatoes:

TMNT - 15% (48 reviews)

The Hundred Foot Journey - 57% (48 reviews)

Step Up All In - 53% (15 reviews)

Into The Storm - 10% (40 reviews)

looks like it could be an ugly weekend for quality for the new openers

• Like 3

A $6-7M would probably mean an OW of $70M+. Dawn of the Apes did $4.1M in previews......... 

$5M+ probably means $50M+ OW. 

Not really. It just depends. GotG had an 11m previews. That didn't translate into over $100m.

But to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if it went over 60m.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 3

Not really. It just depends. GotG had an 11m previews. That didn't translate into over $100m.

But to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if it went over 60m.

Well Guardians was more of a fanboy movie. Superhero movies usually have big preview numbers. 

• Like 1

Turtles has some nice full theaters in some places for tonight. 5-6m? LOL That's what I thought for GotG last Thursday. Maybe I should up it to 7-8m.

Notfabio's numbers are going to be very interesting. If it really does 7-8M than 50M pretty much is lock for it. 

Well Guardians was more of a fanboy movie. Superhero movies usually have big preview numbers. 

The Ninja Turtles are superheroes. They've also had multiple cartoons and movies. This isn't some brand spankin new original property.

• Like 5

TMNT has a strong fan-base for sure.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2