filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

Since everyone is expressing their childhood wet dream to be turned into a Hollywood cashgrab franchise...

I want an Earthworm Jim movie, asap!!!!!!

They should probably make a new Earthworm Jim game first.

• Like 2

I know, but it's still not part of a franchise (in my eyes at least).

EOT had  very little to no awareness, nobody knew it was a japenese comic in America and most parts of the worlds.

It was seen as an original property even if it wasn't .

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Speaking of childhood...

Newborn hood is going well for this guy...

Posted Image

You just want the likes.

It's so blatant that I'm going to give you one because I can't resist.

• Like 4

My take on originality vs. franchises

The thing is... yes, originality is needed. Mid-budget films are needed. But honestly, this is not the summer to complain about that. This summer we've had, of movies I'd consider worth a watch at some point that I've seen (theater or home):

Boyhood

Guardians of the Galaxy

X-Men: Days of Future Past

How to Train Your Dragon 2

Snowpiercer

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

22 Jump Street

Edge of Tomorrow

Neighbors

The Fault in Our Stars

Chef

Godzilla

Begin Again

Million Dollar Arm

14 movies. 5 of them are completely original properties (bolded). Of these 5, one (Neighbors) will be getting a sequel.

Of the nine unoriginal, five are sequels of a sort (Guardians, X-Men, Dragon, Apes, and Jump Street.) Four of these have another sequel on the way (and let's not kid ourselves, 23 Jump Street will happen within four years). Of the four others, Fault has a sorta sequel on the way and Godzilla has a sequel coming.

Sequels are an unfortunate fact of Hollywood these days. That said, of all six sequels announced of those, the original creative team is coming back to make the sequel they want to make it, and presumably, that'll be a good movie too.

Furthermore, those films are ordered in my personal preference of quality. Notice how the bottom five (the ones I would consider worthy of DVD wait) are not the sequels. Simply put, those five films were not up to par IMO, with the other, more well-crafted movies of this summer.

Last summer, this complaint would've been valid. After all, practically every sequel or reboot besides Fast and Furious 6 was disappointing on some level. This summer though? This summer has been fantastic for sequels and for blockbuster filmmaking in general.

tl;dr: Blank defends summer of 2014's film quality since it was actually pretty freaking great

• Like 4

I'm not sure what I expect from Avatar 2 yet. Normally I would say it'll have a big drop-off, but it will be a sequel directed by James Cameron, which is an incredibly powerful combination. I think BvS, Avatar 2 and Avengers 2 all have the potential to earn $2b+ worldwide, but at least one of those will likely miss that mark.

Hah hah well IM 3 shows the limitations of Avengers OS, if you cant make mega BO in both places your going to lose and lose big to the Avatar sequel Mike..

I do agree that because Batman and Supes has been wanted for so long this could be the one that gets even more crowds attending a comic movie... And SWs is SWs so you never know.

Still the only ones with potential to not get beat by over a billion are SW7 and Bvs Supes.

Avengers will make between 1.4-1.7B and not a penny over.

• Like 1

Ash would do on a journey of self discovery. There wouldn't be much in the way of actual Pokemon battling.

Poke started an Avatar ass whips Avengeers and SWs 7 by over a billion club in the Avatar Club.. Come participate my warrior.

All my friends and family jump into this one too

• Like 1

Ash would do on a journey of self discovery. There wouldn't be much in the way of actual Pokemon battling.

And we'd probably get some actual characters and emotion, but hey, screw that. Liebesman, I chose you!

• Like 1

And we'd probably get some actual characters and emotion, but hey, screw that. Liebesman, I chose you!

I'm not sure. I think the best director for Pokemon should be able to tackle both the characters and the actions. I wouldn't go to see a Pokemon live action movie just to see the characters talk for an hour straight after all.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1