filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

Though a 56% drop is greater than I was hoping for GOTG, still a very healthy, reasonable 2nd week outing. Was hoping that WOM would push it higher. Hope it finishes above estimates, Though before last week, I was hoping that GOTG would somehow find its way to $180 million. That it'll do that much at the start of the third week is unbelievable for me. And that we're talking $600 million WW. I love that it has a legit shot to win summer.

• Like 1

Still harmless compared to China. I mean TF4's gross there is just unreal.

GOTG opened well in Russia last week. And now it's TMNT. In China, T:AOE didn't have any significant competition. But yeah, the total is insane.

Though a 56% drop is greater than I was hoping for GOTG, still a very healthy, reasonable 2nd week outing. Was hoping that WOM would push it higher. Hope it finishes above estimates, Though before last week, I was hoping that GOTG would somehow find its way to $180 million. That it'll do that much at the start of the third week is unbelievable for me. And that we're talking $600 million WW. I love that it has a legit shot to win summer.

It's not just a legit shot. It is going to do it. How can it not? It'll be not far off $220 million by the end of next weekend. Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

I know it's old news but I'm still slightly in disbelief at GoTG's performance thus far.

As for Turtles, it's a much stronger brand that we give it credit for.

I don't know the average age of forum posters here but I'm in my 30s and there are very few people in my age range that hasn't seen a Turtles cartoon or movie at some point in time in their lives. Heck, in the 90s, if you didn't have Turtle paraphernalia then you weren't really cool. Coupled with the current Nickelodeon series, it was always going to open big.

Personally, I just didn't want it to hurt GoTG too much.

I underestimated how big Ninja Turtles was with kids today.

Theyre probably the most popular characters with kids since the Minions from Despicable Me 2.

• Like 2

It's not just a legit shot. It is going to do it. How can it not? It'll be at over or around $220 million by the end of next weekend.

LOL, I figured, but I still hedge my bets, just in case something happens and it falls off a cliff over the next few weeks.ETA: isn't there a Minion movie that's supposed to come out soon? Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 1

Winning summer is locked imo. It might even top CA: TWS to become the number one movie of the year before THG: MOCKINGJAY I opens in November.
  • Like 3

I know it's old news but I'm still slightly in disbelief at GoTG's performance thus far.As for Turtles, it's a much stronger brand that we give it credit for.I don't know the average age of forum posters here but I'm in my 30s and there are very few people in my age range that hasn't seen a Turtles cartoon or movie at some point in time in their lives. Heck, in the 90s, if you didn't have Turtle paraphernalia then you weren't really cool. Coupled with the current Nickelodeon series, it was always going to open big.Personally, I just didn't want it to hurt GoTG too much.

Who's we? Some of us have been beating that drum for the last couple of weeks. But I guess most people weren't listening.

• Like 4

LOL, I figured, but I still hedge my bets, just in case something happens and it falls off a cliff over the next few weeks.ETA: isn't there a Minion movie that's supposed to come out soon?

No minions until next summer. Rocket and Groot are safe! Lol

I underestimated how big Ninja Turtles was with kids today.

Theyre probably the most popular characters with kids since the Minions from Despicable Me 2.

I greatly under-estimated Despicable Me 2. That movie shot of the all-time box office charts with its domestic adjusted gross. After I was so wrong abut Despicable me 2, I didn't want to under-estimate HTTYD2, so I took a wait and see approach with that one.

• Like 1