kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

Michael Bay Is Clearly The Summer of 2014 Winner:

TF4 = Will end close to 1.1 Billion

Turtles = Will end 450-500

Purge = 96 Million WW off a 10 Million Budget

We are talking 1.7 Billion at the Box Office when it's all said and done.  Michael is all Smiles.  So I guess 17%, 19%, and 58% on RT isn't really making him unhappy about this summer

Posted Image

It's Michael Bay's world...we only live in it. ;)

• Like 2

The expendable a situation really reminds me of wolverine, that film never recovered from the leaks bad wom either.

Yeah but Wolvie still had a massive OW, those Legs were atrocious though.  I actually feel the Sequel performed way better with a Less gross. 

• Like 2

And then most likely the WOM from that didn't help it. ;)

But that's just an extension of the leak.  IMHO (and we'll never know), with the new additions (esp Ford, Mel and Snipes), this could have and should have opened to 30 mill.  It would have probably ended with a 2.5X instead a 3 that the other flirted with or had.  And that is really sad to me.  

• Like 2

I was pretty much with you on this, I used Planes and Percy to compare TMNT to. Except I said it was an "optimistic" outlook...

Nothing wrong with optimism.

• Like 2

19% RT critic rating... 61% audience RT rating (likely to decrease a little). 6.4/10 on IMDB (within the first week of release... probably will go below 6 soon enough). 34% on Metacritic. B Cinemascore. It's produced by Nickelodeon. Can't imagine many grown adults who weren't fans of the show growing up anticipating it. It looked cringe-worthy to me and I'm part of the film's demo (guys age 8-30). 

Aside from nostalgic fans (aged 20-30), I don't think that many adults are eager to see it without a kid in tote. How many over the age of 40 are absolutely pumped to go see it? How many women are pumped to go see it? 

Not trying to attack the film, but kids are its primary demo and the lack of blockbuster kids movies this summer has certainly helped it. 

Critics mean nothing.  They really don't,  

I can only go by those I have spoken to and seen it with and while they didn't love it, they certainly didn't hate it.  

but I've said enough here.  Turtles will not be liked here and that's fine.  The box office did the talking.  

• Like 2

EX3 being PG-13 also hurt it domestically, I'd think. The core audience for the first two resent the onslaught of PG-13 action films / reboots of R-rated 80s films.The leak probably KILLED EX3 in piracy-heavy Russia - if there is a DVD-quality version on every video-sharing site (and possibly even fan-made Russian voiceover translations by now) why bother seeing it?

Edited by TServo2049

I guess I don't understand the need for the back and forth on respective quality.  I mean, I can identify why I didn't enjoy Turtles and the issues I have with it on a storytelling level.  But it's making money because a certain audience has responded to it.  On the flip side I could rattle off why I thought GOTG was awesome, but I thought Scott Pilgrim was equally awesome and that made no money so clearly my opinion is not some be-all end-all powerful force that makes things a hit.  Let us all just be happy that there are movies doing well at the back end of this summer because otherwise everything has underperformed.

Edited by TylerDurden365
  • Like 6

Critics mean nothing.  They really don't, I can only go by those I have spoken to and seen it with and while they didn't love it, they certainly didn't hate it. but I've said enough here.  Turtles will not be liked here and that's fine.  The box office did the talking.

it has B cinemascore, which is what matters.

Yes, I admit I have spent way too much time defending Turtles.  That is done now,....the box office is very good for it and I guess that's all that matters, and of course the fact that I liked it.

• Like 4

Well - I was looking at the wrong weekend this whole time? Lol I feel the fool that is totally my bad. :/

I can no longer teach baumer any more. He has now learned all he needs to from me. He was walked across the rice paper and now he can go off into the world. :P

• Like 2