Orestes

High School movies through the years.

What movies do you think best represent a snapshot of what High School was like each decade, or maybe just a part of a decade?

60s: American Graffiti

70s: Dazed and Confused

80s: Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles

90s: American pie, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

00s: Mean Girls

I've got nothin for the 10's. Might have to wait a few years for the folks who were/are in high school to start making films based on their experiences. I'm also unsure if Mean Girls is particularly representative of the 00s, or just high school generally. There are probably better choices out there.

It also occurs to me that these are all pretty much middle class white kid movies. Hopefully we'll get some movies listed that show things from different perspectives.

What have ya got?

John Hughes ruled the 80's no doubt but there are other films that represented the 80's very well.  IMO, Fast Times at Ridgemont High is the defining high school film, even moreso than Breakfast Club.  Porky's was also a defining film as it is the highest grossing high school film ever made (I think).  It's a good topic and I too wrote about this a while back.

http://www.top10films.co.uk/archives/20770

• Like 3

i'm not sure i've even seen mean girls , maybe 5 mn while changing channels but the entire film nope !

i don't know when last i watched a high school film or tv show hmmm wait that woulld be gossip girl a couple yrs back but that was about anything but school lol

high school movie : ten things i hate about you , she's all that , american pies yeah the 2000s

maybe the teen members of the forum can chime in 

I don't know if Mean Girls really defined high schools, it was an over-exaggerated example of a typical high school.Not complaining, I love Mean Girls and I laugh more every time I see it.

Every high school movie is an over-exaggerated high school.

• Like 4

John Hughes ruled the 80's no doubt but there are other films that represented the 80's very well.  IMO, Fast Times at Ridgemont High is the defining high school film, even moreso than Breakfast Club.  Porky's was also a defining film as it is the highest grossing high school film ever made (I think).  It's a good topic and I too wrote about this a while back.

http://www.top10films.co.uk/archives/20770

Can't believe I forgot about Ridgemont High. Phoebe Cates :wub:

Porky's, too. Only saw that once, though, and it was a while ago.

Edited by Orestes

Yeah, but Mean Girls might just be a bit more over the top than the likes of The Breakfast Club or Fast Times.

i'm not sure i've even seen mean girls , maybe 5 mn while changing channels but the entire film nope !

i don't know when last i watched a high school film or tv show hmmm wait that woulld be gossip girl a couple yrs back but that was about anything but school lol

high school movie : ten things i hate about you , she's all that , american pies yeah the 2000s

maybe the teen members of the forum can chime in 

It's on Netflix, go watch it as soon as you can.

Disagree.  Breakfast Club and Fast Times were not exaggeration.  Pretty in Pink wasn't, depending on where you lived.  The Seth in that movie really does exist.....so does the Andies and so on...Ducky was probably an exaggeration but he was done for comedic purposes.  

• Like 1