eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

L

@terrestrial

i'm a fan of total immersion in a native country, next best thing being the culture (movies/tv/music) you won't progress if you're holding on to your language as  a crutch , i call it  the swim or sink method  :P

I always visit a country in regions w/o the usual tourists, try to observe and ask a lot, try to learn at least some words beforehand, watch movies in their original language twice (first with starring on the subtitles, 2nd to get the details of the movie....)

Btw, when you use quote, I get informed about you telling me something, this posts here I only found as I am trying to read all posts here ;)

Ray Subers @raysubers 5 mins

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY could hang on to 1st place for the next two weekends... and is basically a lock for $300m. Huge win here.

• Like 3

Against all odds, Marvel Studios releases what are arguably their two finest films this year. After releasing 8 blockbusters (ok, 7), the expectation would be that they might run out of steam or not have the creative fuel to push forward, but the complete opposite has happened. The MCU was already unprecedented, but this is unprecedented for any franchise as well. Let alone one that is 10 films deep. Comparing Marvel to Pixar, Marvel has just been consistently getting better at their game. Pixar is fantastic, but their last films are not their best (imo). 

• Like 7

Against all odds, Marvel Studios releases what are arguably their two finest films this year. After releasing 8 blockbusters (ok, 7), the expectation would be that they might run out of steam or not have the creative fuel to push forward, but the complete opposite has happened. The MCU was already unprecedented, but this is unprecedented for any franchise as well. Let alone one that is 10 films deep. Comparing Marvel to Pixar, Marvel has just been consistently getting better at their game. Pixar is fantastic, but their last films are not their best (imo).

Pixar's 10th film was the Oscar-winning Up.

Good point. In that respect, the next films are maybe a more fair comparison. But regardless, the fact that we are discussing the quality of Marvel and Pixar (considered to be perhaps the most consistent studio and with a flawless resume) is a huge win for Marvel and of course Disney who owns both.

• Like 1

It was also 14 years after Toy Story. Not to slight Pixar AT ALL - the fact that it took 16 years for a film of theirs to disappoint both critically and at the (domestic) BO is absolutely astounding - but Marvel Studios' rise has been over a period of only SIX years. Candle that burns twice as bright, etc., etc., and yet Marvel Studios hasn't burned out yet. Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Shaileen has a future?  lol

She's only the most in demand actress right now, maybe even more so than JLAW.

I'd argue she is definitely the runner up but it would be a moot point. She is definitely among the handful of the most in demand actors regardless of gender and she is enjoying the top-tier success that few in the industry ever do. 

• Like 1