eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

We already know what is the biggest movie of Summer 2015.

Not fun.

:(

Back in the day everyone assumed TDKR was a lock to win 2012

We never know until we know

• Like 7

Big ass contract and Marvel don't go hand in hand.  Unless you are RDJ, these guys are signing multi film contracts for 1-3 million a film.

I meant big ass as in commitment, it means that Marvel will dispose of Pratt if  they want him to do 6 Guardians films, that s what happened with Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans, they signed a 6 films deal, 3 stand alones and 3 Avengers.

• Like 1

Back in the day everyone assumed TDKR was a lock to win 2012

We never know until we know

I don't see any threat to Ultron not winning the Summer but we never know ...

Edited by The Futurist

Screendaily

Lucy plunders $29m at int'l BO

Lucy grossed an estimated $28.5m from 3,100 venues in 38 Universal territories for a total of $65m to rank as the weekend’s top release at the international marketplace.

UNIVERSAL PICTURES INTERNATIONAL

The cyberthriller has amassed $65m through Universal rising to $103m factoring in EuropcaCorp markets, which include a highly productive run in director Luc Besson’s home country, France. The global haul has reached $216.8m.

The film delivered an exceptional $6.3m number one result in Taiwan from 69 for Universal’s second biggest debut ever behind Fast & Furious 6 and an all-time Besson high, no doubt inspired by the filmmaker’s recent publicity tour in Taipei.

In two further Besson records, Lucy opened top in the UK on $5.2m from 482 for Universal’s fourth best opening so far in 2014 and top in Spain on $3.5m from 335 for Universal’s top launch of the year-to-date.

There were number one debuts in Israel, New Zealand, Portugal, Serbia and Montenegro, Singapore, Slovenia, Sweden and Ukraine and a second-weekend number one hold in Germany on $3.2m from 490 for $10.1m. Australia has generated $12.2m after four sessions.

Expendables 3, which Universal is distributing in Russia, Spain and Italy, grossed $1.2m in Russia for $6.3m and stands at $3.1m in Spain, both after two weekends.

Neighbors is nearing the end of its run and has reached $116.5m. The comedy opened in Italy on $545,000 from 200 and debuts in its final market of Venezuela this week.

The Purge: Anarchy stands at $32.5m and Boyhood $8.5m including $4.4m in the UK after seven sessions.

NU IMAGE

The Expendables 3 brought in a further $16.5m overall to reach an early $37.7m through Nu Image licensees and other distributors.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/lucy-plunders-29m-at-intl-bo/5076581.article

Just edited for easier access....BAUMER

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

I heard he signed a big ass contract with Marvel, for maybe 6 films.

The later contracted ones often sign now for 9 movies (see Sebastian Stan)

I am not saying 300m is not a win, but I mean that the competitions box office is one of the worst in years.

But as a lot of articles showed, cinema owners were already concerned about the down-spiraling of the people even coming to see a movie (a lot less than the money numbers look like) and so also missing out the advertising... => in July minus 30% according to articles => to bring viewers back in general in a year with so big drops, that what's makes it a good result for me too

Looking at the numbers, I think this might be the first weekend GOTG was overpredicted for the weekend. Sunday's 29.6% might be a bit on the optimistic side, seeing how the weekday drops (and by extension, Sunday to an extent) are getting bigger along with the Friday/Saturday boosts, we might be looking more towards a 33-35% drop (for Sunday). That's still a fantastic hold for the weekend though.

Edited by Mango

Articles are not supposed to be posted in full.

That I wasn't aware of, I'll adjust my posting-style

(I didn't want to exclude others most favorable movies with cutting out details)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Articles are not supposed to be posted in full.

I didn't know that, but I wasn't trying to say that was okay. Just that if it was already posted and u had difficulties scrolling with your phone, it would be better to change your viewing from the mobile version to the desktop version on the mobile. 

The later contracted ones often sign now for 9 movies (see Sebastian Stan)

But as a lot of articles showed, cinema owners were already concerned about the down-spiraling of the people even coming to see a movie (a lot less than the money numbers look like) and so also missing out the advertising... => in July minus 30% according to articles => to bring viewers back in general in a year with so big drops, that what's makes it a good result for me too

Yeah in ways Maleficent, GOTG and TMNT saved some ass this summer. 

Yeah, it was kind of a victory by default, but it's not Guardians' fault it over-performed and almost every tentpole picture underperformed.Levitt will have plenty of chances, (He's a white male, so people won't sweat flops as much) but I think Guardians will do more for Pratt's career than Dark Knight Rises did for Levitt's. Pratt was the first lead in a breakout, Levitt was a supporting role in a sequel that didn't need him. Would Levitt have taken Guardian's to 300 million? Who knows?

Eva Green will always have trouble because her screen persona isn't as...personable. Even Jolie, with her femme fatale reputation, has that kind of mischievous twinkle. (Although it seems it's very, very hard for Jolie to do well in straight dramas. Most of her successes seem to be very eccentric or hyper-reality movies) Green seems to mostly exude abrasive contempt. Like, I just feel like Eva Green hates me. I've never met her, but I just feel like she hates me. So she's never going to be a top tier star. Woodley did benefit from her movies having built-in-fanbases, but ask what's her name from Beautiful Creatures how her roles are coming along. I think Lawrence is higher on the food chain, but between Hunger Games, X-Men, and O'Russel she's kind of boxed in right now. Emma Stone was on her way to being a draw, but she had to go and play a superhero love interest, which may look like an easy box-office upgrade, but that role swallows more careers than it boosts.

Edited by Overpassassin
  • Like 4

Lol....those guys at comicbookmovie will be very happy that GoTG is number 1 again.I remember someone quoting some guys trying to mobilize people to get the movie to number 1 again, I guess their wishes have been answered.Anyways, I'm pretty satisfied that the two movies I enjoyed the most in the theatre this year (Cap 2 and GoTG) are the most successful domestically. Marvel have really found a way to connect with audiences and I hope they can keep the quality and not make any other mediocre movies like Thor 2 ever again.

• Like 1

To be honest the signs were all there for TA to blow up, we just assumed people hated Im2 so much that marvel was done.  

or that it was IM and Z list friends. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

To be honest the signs were all there for TA to blow up, we just assumed people hated Im2 so much that marvel was done.

I discovered Iron Man 2 was a mediocre film on the internets.Same for spidey 3 & x Men 3.True story.
  • Like 2

Lol....those guys at comicbookmovie will be very happy that GoTG is number 1 again.I remember someone quoting some guys trying to mobilize people to get the movie to number 1 again, I guess their wishes have been answered.Anyways, I'm pretty satisfied that the two movies I enjoyed the most in the theatre this year (Cap 2 and GoTG) are the most successful domestically. Marvel have really found a way to connect with audiences and I hope they can keep the quality and not make any other mediocre movies like Thor 2 ever again.

Funny, at IMDb it was the other way around. Interesting to see where the over the top fans seem to reside the most (and at IMDb are also a few over-the-top GotG fans...)

Disney will rule the box office every year for the next fifty years, that is fucking scary, between pixar, disney animation, disney films like Tomorrow Land, Marvel and Lucasfilm, jeez, they have become the monster, the mother of all studios.