ddddeeee

A good write-up on CinemaSins, Everything Wrong With... etc

This article perfectly sums up how I feel about those youtube channels. They are fun at the beginning but soon you realize how in love they are with themselves, always nitpicking at every little detail of every popular movie.Yep, negativity sells and to me,movies are not about negativity. Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

This article perfectly sums up how I feel about those youtube channels. They are fun at the beginning but soon you realize how in love they are with themselves, always nitpicking at every little detail of every popular movie.Yep, negativity sells and to me,movies are not about negativity.

The biggest sin they commit is that they're not fun nor especially funny while doing it. I mean is anyone got any kind of fun listening to that whiny nerdy voice listing "flaws" he pulled out of his ass? For exemple most of his nitpicks boil down to "#48. Captain America falls several feet without breaking a bone." or "#42 Superman flies through a collapsing building while his hairdo remains perfect." How does that supposed to be "wrong" or a glaring gap of logic/flaw/plothole in the context of the movie? Most of those so-called "sins" only exist in their minds that doesn't (want to) buy the concept of suspension of disbelief and internal movie logic to say how escapist movies are idiotic and non-sensical because of those "flaws".

Honest Trailers is funny and entertaining to watch because there are mostly tongue in cheek videos parodying the concept of "trailer" to spin it into a short comedy reel poking light fun at popular blockbusters (you get the sense that they still acknowledge that the movie is entertaining and don't really loathe them in the end)  whereas "CinemaSins" and "Everything Wrong" got this Holier Than Thou and "everything sucks" cynical attitude like they're being serious with their sterile and overlong nitpicks list and don't seem to have any pleasure doing that so they're boring to watch.(Nobody forced them though...).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

I love HISHE because they are genuinely funny, well done and actually smart. Some of their alternate endings are pure genius. Also the superhero café scenes are brilliant and just shows that its been make by genuine movie fans, not just some nerds who think they are smart by nit picking pointless shit.

• Like 3

The author picked a good target, but his criticism of the target was off the mark. Yes, Cinemasins, Honest Trailers, and a whole other group of nitpicking video reviewers (like Thatguywiththeglasses.com) promote a cynical view of the entertainment industry, but these people are just trying to have fun with something they love. If you watch that "Everything Wrong With Cinemasins" video, you will see that the reviewers don't take themselves that seriously. Instead, they're just attempting to entertain and make people laugh. You might, like dash, argue that these reviewers are unfunny, but that is an issue with their execution, not with their intent (which is what the author has a problem with).In my opinion, these sites are fine. They try to make people laugh, they may or may not succeed, but ultimately, they aren't trying to harm cinema in any way. What I take issue with is the fans of these sites, who view these people as real critics, and adopt their critiquing methods. If you read film criticism, you realize quickly that it goes far beyond just nitpicking a film to death. It might be funny to find a plot hole and rip it to shreds, but actual criticism deals with stuff like directing, acting, characterization, AND plotting. A film critic views a work as a whole, and realizes that there will always be minor imperfections, but ultimately he learns to let go of the minor imperfections, and look at how the film's major components comes together. The fans of these websites do the exact opposite when they watch a film. Instead, they look to find the smallest issue with a film, and then turn into the biggest problem ever. As a result, they end up rarely liking films, their criticisms come off as very shallow and annoying, and ultimately, they just hurt the discourse on cinema.Sadly, more and more people are turning to these sites for criticism and critiquing like they do. The result is that discourse around film (which was never that intelligent to begin with) is getting worse.That being said, I still find the sites funny. I just make sure to read actual critics as well. 

• Like 3

The author picked a good target, but his criticism of the target was off the mark. Yes, Cinemasins, Honest Trailers, and a whole other group of nitpicking video reviewers (like Thatguywiththeglasses.com) promote a cynical view of the entertainment industry, but these people are just trying to have fun with something they love. If you watch that "Everything Wrong With Cinemasins" video, you will see that the reviewers don't take themselves that seriously. Instead, they're just attempting to entertain and make people laugh. You might, like dash, argue that these reviewers are unfunny, but that is an issue with their execution, not with their intent (which is what the author has a problem with).In my opinion, these sites are fine. They try to make people laugh, they may or may not succeed, but ultimately, they aren't trying to harm cinema in any way. What I take issue with is the fans of these sites, who view these people as real critics, and adopt their critiquing methods. If you read film criticism, you realize quickly that it goes far beyond just nitpicking a film to death. It might be funny to find a plot hole and rip it to shreds, but actual criticism deals with stuff like directing, acting, characterization, AND plotting. A film critic views a work as a whole, and realizes that there will always be minor imperfections, but ultimately he learns to let go of the minor imperfections, and look at how the film's major components comes together. The fans of these websites do the exact opposite when they watch a film. Instead, they look to find the smallest issue with a film, and then turn into the biggest problem ever. As a result, they end up rarely liking films, their criticisms come off as very shallow and annoying, and ultimately, they just hurt the discourse on cinema.Sadly, more and more people are turning to these sites for criticism and critiquing like they do. The result is that discourse around film (which was never that intelligent to begin with) is getting worse.That being said, I still find the sites funny. I just make sure to read actual critics as well. 

True, it is also funny that critics only seem to take note of them when they nitpick movies that they like. Cinemasins was existing for over 6 months before they did Looper, and then they got attacked by online critics.

The issues isnt Honest Trailers and Cinema Sins, the issue is if you take them seriously. Thats like taking The Onion serious. Its satire, at least to me. I dont really watch CS, but i frequent HT and theyre just good fun and a good laugh. My GA gf loves them too. Getting worked up over them is ridiculous. Hell in HT, they still admit half the movies are still good. If you dont like, dont watch, simple as that.

• Like 7

The issues isnt Honest Trailers and Cinema Sins, the issue is if you take them seriously. Thats like taking The Onion serious. Its satire, at least to me. I dont really watch CS, but i frequent HT and theyre just good fun and a good laugh. My GA gf loves them too. Getting worked up over them is ridiculous. Hell in HT, they still admit half the movies are still good. If you dont like, dont watch, simple as that.

Isn't satire supposed to be taken seriously on some level?

Isn't satire supposed to be taken seriously on some level? 

Yes, but you also should accept that no movie is immune to criticism; especially the sort of action blockbusters HT specializes in. And it is fun to rip on truly bad films, too.

Let's face it, it's much more difficult to wring humor out of praising a film.

Edited by tribefan695

I don t care if it is satire or not, all I hear is bored geeks nitpicking everything to death for their own demented pleasure.They must think of themselves as being so cool and edgy.

If they get a consistent audience (which they do), it's clearly not just their own "demented pleasure" that's being achieved.

The issue here, as others in this thread have brought up, is that some people take them far too seriously. It's not like they're out to show how contemporary cinema has become a wasteland of crap; they're out to have fun at the expense of movies both good and bad. If it's not your cup of tea, the solution is real simple: don't watch it.

• Like 1

If they get a consistent audience (which they do), it's clearly not just their own "demented pleasure" that's being achieved.

The issue here, as others in this thread have brought up, is that some people take them far too seriously. It's not like they're out to show how contemporary cinema has become a wasteland of crap; they're out to have fun at the expense of movies both good and bad. If it's not your cup of tea, the solution is real simple: don't watch it.

Cinemasins is not "fun" nor "funny".

I mean one of the "sins" from TDKR are "Batman uses Galaxy notes" (lol?) or "Who's that b*tch*(sic)?" (aka Juno Temple's character), how is that "fun" or something "wrong "with the movie?

or from Avatar's vid, one of the so-called sin is "Yeah right, a planet made of trees got no oxygenl" because humans are wearing masks.

(That dumbass didn't even acknowledge the fact that it is taking place on an alien planet with an alien ecosystem with its own photosynthesis process possessing higher carbon dioxide level than Earth and other harmful gasses meaning that it's toxic for us to breathe without masks because oxygen is very rare. That is actually explained in the movie why humans got to wear those masks. It's not because "there's no oxygen at all". So they deliberately omit or twist plot details that are actually explained and logical within the movie to try to sound like smart-asses making the movie more stupid that it really is).

It's absolutely idiotic like they don't even pay attention to understand that half of their "sins" is actually justified or explained one way or another in the actual movie and their fans are using that kind of shitty nitpicks to bring a movie down like a legitimate complaint about the quality of the movie.(See how anyone in the comments that try to argue that the so-called "wrong" is something that they pulled out of their asses to inflate the "sins" count get treated as an humourless-nitpicking-raging-geek then go on how the movie plainly sucked because of that "wrong"...Uh the raging nitpicking geeks are the ones making those kind of videos in the first place so you can't argue nor criticize their shit because that automatically makes you a pathetic humourless loser that "doesn't get it")

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2